Is it safe to use an epilator during pregnancy?

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

This might sound like a ridiculous question but I usually use a Philips Epilator to remove hair from my legs rather than shaving, does anyone know if it's ok to do so during pregnancy? I (stupidly) didn't keep the instructions.

Thanks

Lucy

wow, spooky
i was thinking the same thing yesterday, i mentioned it to my mate and she said she thinks it is ok, but im still not sure

Hi Layla

Thanks for your reply - it's been bugging me for a while now and from searching on the web I haven't been able to find any information about it!

I'm going to try and get an appt with a GP in the week so I'll ask then and let you know!

Thanks

Lucy

http://www.geocities.com/lewisinph/search.html

The epilator may not be suitable for: eczema, wounds, inflamed skin reactions such as folliculitis (purulent hair follicles) and varicose veins; around moles; reduced immunity of the skin e.g. diabetes mellitus,during pregnancy, Raynaud's disease; haemophilia or immune deficiency.

(I'll probably keep using it when I get pregnant tho'

Thanks for posting the info Joan, I think I'll hold off using if for a while just in case

Thanks

Lucy

How about waxing? Really want to be able to get my legs waxed before the birth, as I won't be able to shave!
I had my nails done the other day...and toenails and my colleague who has five kids joked that I should probably get them done a lot now before I stop being able to see my toes! Aaaaaargh!

Sue

Epilating just plucks the hairs. It doesn't penetrate the skin and there is no real risk of cuts. So if there is a risk of infection it must be via the pores, which would be open immediately afterwards.

With waxing, you have the same "plucking" action, plus the pores would open more due to the warmth. Add to this the fact that it's in a salon so you have less control over the hygene. And if someone had an infection on their legs, underarms or <shudder>bikini area</shudder> then that infection would end up in the wax, which is kept heated to blood temperature - a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

I think that using your own, clean epilator at home would be prefereble to getting a salon wax. And if you shave - a nick is more likely to get infected than anything from epilating.

(this is all wild guess work, but it makes sense to me :) )

God womanly hair is such a nightmare :roll: I'm training OH to use a razor so he can shave me when I no longer can reach! It's not because of the way hair looks, because I wear trousers all the time! But because it's so itchy afte r afew ays growing back I can't stand the stubble. Think I'm gonna have to stick to razors, epliators sound to painful (says me who will be going through chilbirth early next year :lol: ).

Have you noticed the recent epliator advert on TV? maybe that sparked our curiosities (sp?)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When I have a belly, i won't be able to shave my legs as well! And the bakini line - wow it doesn't bear thinking about! :shock: :cry:

I don't know what I'll do my husband won't shave my legs when I get bigger from being pregnant...I just asked him if I could teach him how to shave my legs for when I can't see past my belly from the baby and he's all like hmmmmm and gave me a weird look....guess if he touches my legs I'll just feel like Big Foot....just kidding! But seriously how would we shave our legs though?

My husband has shaved my legs before now. He always does it so much better than I do, because he can see the backs. (darn the hairy thigh thing). I've never really discussed with him, but my feeling is that he finds it quite erotic to shave my legs. I know it definitely got him excited last time he did it... :oops: :twisted: :lol:

Sue

I’d recommend Karmin electric epilator :eek:la:

Last edited:
I got waxed all through my last pregnancy with no problems x

I got used to shaving my legs and bikini area blind in pregnancy. You just need a really good razor that is hard t9 cut yourself with.

I personally love my electric epilator Karmin :)

Last edited:
Best I have ever used is the electric epilator of Karmin ;)

Yes its safe to use. So is waxing. Just might hurt a little more lol x

It's safe o believe but increased blood flow means you're likely to feel the pain even more! You're braver than me if you give it a go :)

I epilated and waxed during my last pregnancy. It hurts more as the pregnancy progresses, as the hairs stop coming out as easily. The last bikini wax I had was at 20 weeks ish. Hurt a lot and she couldn't get some of the wax to pull away at all. The hairs were so strongly rooted, it was ridiculous.
My sister had a wax a few days before the birth so that she wouldn't have to be shaved if she had to have a C-section. I didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back