• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

is it safe to provoke the baby to move?

laetitia85

Reaction score
Sometimes I gently poke my belly with my fingers, to provoke some movement from the feotus, and believe it or not I have felt some immediate movement as a response so it does work. However I'm worried that I'm doing it too much. I do it at night sometimes, when i can't sleep. Then I feel bad that I might have 'woken up the baby'. am i being silly? Is it safe?

I wouldnt have thought giving baby a gentle poke is bad for it. Just think about when you see the midwife how rough is she with ur bump.

yeah you'll be fine hun, you wonthurt thebaby, there is plenty of muscle fat and amniotic fluid keepiing the little one protected. Plus its ok if you wake the baby up anyway because they are going to be doing it to you lots when they arrive :lol: .

I used to this, well I didnt poke... if I just rubbed my belly for 5min or so she would kick me back!

I soooooooo miss the kicks!!

I do it all the time! I poke her and all sorts and my son slaps my belly to make her kick, theres so much padding between you and your LO i wouldnt worry bout it you aint guna hurt them!
I play kick the soap off in the bath with my baby, i put on the soap in a foot area and she kicks it off - priceless!

just think how rough the midwife is when she examines you - you'll be fine! :hug:

wouhouuu thanks everyone, exactly what i wanted to hear! happy poking everyone

sorry ive moved to 3rd tri but i miss it here so i came back for a bit.. lol

i do this with my bump.. not hard but he loves it when i rub my tummy both sides he starts kicking :)

i shouldnt think your causing any pain babys are protected by alot of stuff inbetween :)

I was doing this last night, it was moving so much I couldnt sleep, and when I found something that seemed like a hand, I stroked around it and it punched me :)

OH does it all the time, thinks it's real funny :) but then I cope with the battering following it!

there is no harm in it hun and i used to do it in early stages as i have an anterior placenta and didnt feel her much. i know how she reacts to me poking belly so its also a good way of making sure she is still moving if she has been quiet for a bit. my OH trys it but she pokes in opposite place to annoy him lol. my kinda girl already :D

xxxx

midna said:
Aww your so lucky laetitia is this your first baby? I still havnt felt anything lol , I put it down to the fact that his/her father is very chilled out :roll:
yes like i said I have felt some response when I poke my belly and I'm pretty sure it's the baby. But it doesn't happen every time, and it's still very mild movement, not the proper kicks obviously it's too early for that. it's just a sensation that something is suddenly moving in the area where I poked. i'm sure you will start feeling something soon

yea and when your sleeping at night baby wakes up so u not waking the baby up anyway :)

babys making its plans of how to keep u awake at night anyway :) :cheer:

laetitia85 said:
Sometimes I gently poke my belly with my fingers, to provoke some movement from the feotus, and believe it or not I have felt some immediate movement as a response so it does work. However I'm worried that I'm doing it too much. I do it at night sometimes, when i can't sleep. Then I feel bad that I might have 'woken up the baby'. am i being silly? Is it safe?

I didn't know you'd felt anything? yay :cheer: Are you feeling kicks yet or just a butterfly feeling? xxx

frangelle said:
laetitia85 said:

I didn't know you'd felt anything? yay :cheer: Are you feeling kicks yet or just a butterfly feeling? xxx
oh definately not kicks yet! it's too early. It's just the feeling of something slowly moving at the exact spot where i poke. it doesn't happen eveytime but when it does i feel it properly! i don't know if i can call it a butterfly feeling, i suppose so, but what i can say is that it's definately a feeling of something 'moving' in there!

laetitia85 said:
HI
I knew I'd read something about this...my pregnancy book has a section on how to stimulate unborn baby and number 1 is "give your baby a gentle nudge and see if s/he gives a nudge in response. Praise him/her if s/he does - s/he may learn to do it again"

BTW,,,other ways are placing headphones on belly to play it music, talk and sing to baby, go swimming & open up an inner dialogue with baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back