Is it Normal to Feel this Thirsty???

Feemel

Reaction score
I'm nearly 8 weeks pregnant and feeling all the usual things - sick, exhausted, like I have rocks in my stomach(!!) - but the thing which is making me feel anxious is how thirsty I feel all the time. I can't help wondering if this could be something more serious like diabetes or something. It didn't start until I got pregnant though. Anyone else feel like this?

im always drinkin water or juices, i got told its quite normal to be drinkin all the time!

I found this on the net, hope it reassures you :hug: :-

A lot of women do. When you metabolize calories your body has to burn water to regulate its temperature, or else you would burn from fever. You burn sooo much calories in early pregnancy beacuse the embryo is having such a huge growth spurt. Its soooo normal to be sooo thirsty.

dont count how much you're drinking, just drink what you want when you want.

Make sure you're taking a prenatal, and maybe have you iron checked. In some cases extreme thirst, or the craving for ice is a sign of low iron. Thats also common in pregnancy.

Im the same too....could drink litres and litres in a day,but i think mine was more of a wanting to be refreshed rather than actually thirsty.I wouldnt worry at all...but perhaps mention it when you next see midwife or your doctor.

Totally normal.

I keep saying if I drink any more water I'm going to give birth to a jelly fish!

Hi

I was exactly the same soooooo thirsty. I still have to take a glass of water whan I go to bed and often have a drink in the middle of the night.

Found this on the internet
Thirst is usually related to the amount of water your body is losing through urination, perspiration and evaporation. During pregnancy, your metabolic rate increases so you are losing larger amounts of water. Your body is also conserving water, preparing for added blood volume and for the increased demands of pregnancy. Increased thirst is a necessary adaptation that encourages you to drink more and can be very normal.

I can't go a full half hour without being desparate for a drink - now have to carry drinks etc in the car with me else I wont make it to work without stopping.

I rang my midwife today and she says this is totally normal - and if your body is telling you to drink then drink!

yes i get even more thirsty when i'm pregnant. if u think this is bad, though, wait until u start breast feeding! OMG no-one warns u how thirsty u get. u will be shocked :shock:

Also don't forget that your total blood volume will have increased by 25% by week 20. The vast majority of this is done really early on in the form of plasma... which is mainly water.

So you definitely will feel extra thirsty as your body is trying to fill all those new and expanding blood vessels!

Plus especially at night you may tend to have your mouth open more due to slightly blocked nose, leading to dry mouth/throat and need to drink more.

I just posted a thread on this!!!! Its perfectly normal to feel more thirsty, you need to keep up your intake of water

I'm mega thirsty too. Have to take a huge drink to bed with me as i wake up for a drink about three times a night (but weirdly don't need to do the constant peeing - yet!!!!)

me toooo i cnt stop drinking lol and i get a dry mouth and my mean boss wont let me go for a quick drink she says i have to w8 untill my break or lunch soo mean iv been drinking a lot of fizzy coz i find it settles my stomach when i feel sick and i love cherryade or cherry tango lol but im starting to feel less sick so im guna go bk to drinking water nice ice cold water :dance:

trudie said:
me toooo i cnt stop drinking lol and i get a dry mouth and my mean boss wont let me go for a quick drink she says i have to w8 untill my break or lunch soo mean

oh my god :shock: Where on earth do you work and who is this boss, I can not believe that someone can get away with such an attitude :evil: If i were you I'd be going to their superior with a complaint!

Ocean Star said:
trudie said:
me toooo i cnt stop drinking lol and i get a dry mouth and my mean boss wont let me go for a quick drink she says i have to w8 untill my break or lunch soo mean

oh my god :shock: Where on earth do you work and who is this boss, I can not believe that someone can get away with such an attitude :evil: If i were you I'd be going to their superior with a complaint!

Thats shocking and I think it counts as sexual discrimination, or something like that.
If your boss knows you're pregnant, they have to accomodate the needs of your pregnancy, and that means if you need to drink more they have to let you.
And if they don't, they're breaking the law in a round about sort of way.

But back to the OP, I get thirsty too, and I find thirst makes my sickness worse as well.
its also made worse by the fact that the only thing I can stomach to eat are crisps LOL

Like the ladies are saying it most likely to be normal but I would still mention this to your midwife to be absolutely clear on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back