• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it a blocked tear duct?

kellie80

Reaction score
Aimee has had a sticky eye on and off for a couple of months but its quite bad this time. I spoke to a doctor on the phone and she said it sounded like a blocked tear duct. I wasn't sure so I asked the HV to have a look at it and she said it looks like an infection so I made an appointment to see the GP and she said it is prob blocked tear duct and there is nothing I can do with it apart from bathe it, which i have been doing. Has anyone any experiance of this cos I don't know what to do? Her eye is always running and sticky so I don't know if I should get a second opinion?

I'd go and get a second opinion. Jayden had it when she was little and I have noticed one of her eyes is starting again. I'll bathe it for a while seeif it goes if not I'll go to the doctors. Surely they can give you some cream, I think Rosebay had cream or drops for Elliot on here so I would have thought they would have given you that. Yep, I'd go to the doc and ask for some sort of antibiotic cream or drops.

xxxxxx

Well thats what i thought, I have had cream for her in the past but GP said she didn't want to give me antibiotics for it cos she didn't think it was an infection but I feel so sorry for her it looks so sore! Its starting to get chapped also now cos her eye is consatly running. I think i'll give her another couple of days bathing it often and see how it goes.

Hi!

Maheen was born witrh this on one eye, and that's what they told me as well. They said to massage on the sides of the nose between the eyes, and just under the eye.
I have done it, regularly and it took ages, but we got there!
Now, the other eye has started, it's been 3 weeks now (at least...I have lost count!), on and off, have shown this to HV and GP at the 6 weeks check but they said same thing again! just the tear duct! I don't think so this time, as when she cries, she's got tears coming out , but they won't hear anything! so I keep on washing it with saline, and you can see it's helping her coz she always smiles after I've done it!!! It's been better for 2/3 days now, but don't really know why!
try massaging maybe, but yea, I would try to get another GP to look at it!
I've tried to no avail! grrrrrrrrrr!

mel xx

Brody had this and my HV said blocked tear duct, I bathed it for another week and no joy, when I went to my GP she said if it was a blocked tear duct it would be clear gunk not yellow, if it is yellow it in an infection.

I got drops and it cleared it right up.

Hi, yeah I got some drops as it was all yellow and gunky the first week after he was born (and a little blood shot/pinky). A couple of women in my post-natal social group have had problems with their babies' tear ducts too- I think it's quite common. You could always get a second opinion if you're not sure?

+++

Rosebay,
Could you tell me what these drops were? what was the name...so I can mention it to the GP tomorrow. it was yellow and mucky so I better get them move!!!!
Thanks
Mel xx

Naomi had an eye infection from a blocked tear duct - her eye was really sticky with yellow and green gunk for a couple of weeks, and it must have been itchy too, she was always at it. She spread the infection to the other eye. The corner of her eye started to get red and raw from being constantly wet, and so I brought her to the doctor.

Be very careful when you wash her eyes out and make sure that you wash your own hands before touching your eyes - I got a touch of the same infection.

The doctor gave her drops, which cleared her eye up in three days. They were very effective, but quite hard to get in there, I used to get OH to put them in while she was feeding and therefore focussed on me.

Hope this helps!

Sue

It does sound like an infection to me cos it is a greeny yellow colour but I also think its not quite as bad as when she had conjuctivitus (SP). The doctor saw the goo in her eye and said she didn't think it was an infection and I feel really embarrased going back to GP again as I feel like i live there lately cos my 5 year old has been there about 4 times in the last couple of months with infections. I feel like an over reacting mum, but I also don't want to have Aimee in pain or discomfort. I think I will have a word with HV (again) on Friday and maybe push a bit more! Thank for the advice girls.

Hmm, not totally sure as I threw it out as it they only last so many weeks once opened but I remember that the active ingredient was fusidic acid which seems to be the general mild antibiotic that they give babies for a lot of things. A few weeks later he got an infected fingernail and they gave me some cream of the same stuff if you see what I mean and I remember because I googled it out of interest (I need to get a life!)

+++

no worries.
Thanks...I will be looking for fusidic on the list then :)
I would have googled it myself don't worry! :wink:

Mel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back