Is he ready for weaning?

Pregnopaws

Reaction score
I'm a bit unsure why LO is waking up so often at night to feed. I have always breastfed him exclusively at night (usually wakes up twice in the night) and give him breast + formula throughout the day. In the last few nights though, he has come into the bed with me and suckled on my breast on and off for a few hours and woken me up at least 4 -5 times.

He doesnt seem all that disatissfied with what he gets during the day so I'm wondering if perhaps I should give him a formula bottle last thing at night after his bath (as he's used to just having breast, and maybe its not filling him up enough to sleep through?) Or could I start giving him a teaspoon of babyrice with his milk at night and see if that helps? My MIL thinks he shouldn't be waking up at all at night to feed now, is that true??
Your opinions are greatly appreciated. :D

midna said:
Hes probably on spurt ...they generally are quite hardcore spurting till 6 months I would say ...babies also become wakeful at about 4 months and can often be confused with the need to wean ...wakefulness isnt a sign of weaning as such ..even feeding every hour in the night like they sometimes go through a phase of isnt a need of weaning ... I believe that babys tend to stop *needing* night food at around 6 months I read somewhere ...but thats not gonna be the same for all babies. Seed still wakes for food mind you she still not started weaning but she went through a stage of every hour feeding but has now gone back to just one night feed and the rest of her wakefulness is fuss.

Id say your his mum you will know when he needs weaning ..if hes generally happy with the situation Id leave it ..the closer that you can get to 6 months on just milk the better. Breastmilk isnt as filling as formula its easily digested I would give him a couple weeks see if theres any improvement if not mabey try the baby rice if you feel ...I didnt I gave seed longer and she did settle in the way of food ..just became wakeful for other stuff but then shes always been a crap sleeper lol

Good advice Midna :)

I go with growth spurt, it's a major time for them at the mo. Babes sleep through when they're ready, DS didn't sleep through regularly til he was approx 12 months (DD slept through from 8-10 weeks). Solids made no difference to him at all.

its the dreaded 4 months growth spurt i swear ! its why leland had a spoon of baby rice last week but nothing since as it seems its over with thank god !

the only 1 on that list that ed hasnt done is doubled birth weight.. and he still doesnt sleep through even though hes weaning.. so to wen to get moer sleep doesnt always work.. although he is deffo more settled than he was.. waking 1-2v times compared to 33 lol..

its ur choice ultimatly.. and a few weeks ago i was against weaning b4 6 months.. but u gotta listen to your child more than guidelines with this one.. my mum told me she weaned me at 8 weeks.. i weaned charl at 20 weeks and we are both fine.. if your baby can do all the important things like hold head and lean forward for more etc..and they are waking loads and showing other signs then perhaps they are ready.. only you can decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back