Is everyone having a middle name?

Sharcaz

Reaction score
Is it ok not to have a middle name?? I don't have one but my husband does. All his brothers and cousins have middle names and at a family wedding recently we started talking about them between us - all the middle names were named after distant relatives and no one knew who they were...

We don't want to choose a middle name after someone, or just for the sake of it, so is it ok not to have one? :/

It's your child and you can pretty much do what you want haha! Plenty of people don't have middle names :) xx

My sister and brother have a middle name (sister after my great aunt and brother after my dad), but my other sister and myself don't have middle names. My mum has absolutely no justification for this :lol:

My son has his grandfather's names as his middle name. My husbands step father raised him and he wanted to honour him in our sons name. So we stuck my dad's name in there too ;) it's completely personal preference. If we have another son he'll have my grandfather's name as a middle name, we're extremely close and he's 95, I'd love to honour him that way! Xx

My sister and brother have a middle name (sister after my great aunt and brother after my dad), but my other sister and myself don't have middle names. My mum has absolutely no justification for this :lol:

My son has his grandfather's names as his middle name. My husbands step father raised him and he wanted to honour him in our sons name. So we stuck my dad's name in there too ;) it's completely personal preference. If we have another son he'll have my grandfather's name as a middle name, we're extremely close and he's 95, I'd love to honour him that way! Xx

Love the idea that you can honour people by doing that :) I come from a not so close family and all of hubby's side has already had kids and added aunts/uncles and grandparents into middle names. I think we'll be skipping a middle name then! xx

Lots of people have a name they just like rather than a name that means something, so you could always do that? If you aren't bothered though don't have one. It's completely personal preference :) xx

Before I got married I had the very common surname Smith. I was really glad I had a middle name as otherwise at doctors dentist etc it would be very easy to get me mixed up with someone else! I know lots of people without though so it just comes down to choice! Also it doesn't necessarily have to honour someone. My sons middle name is my dads name but if we have another boy it will have a random middle name as we don't like the names of the other men in the family!! Same if it's a girl, will also be a random middle name! Xxx

Do whatever you feel you would like to. I have a middle name and love having one. I'm not named after anyone it is just another name my parents liked.

We will be giving our children middle names if we have any and they will not be any family names as personally I hate that sort of thing. I don't really know how you can not offend someone by naming after family unless you have only one family member?! We will just choose names we like. My husband has his dads name as his middle name as do 90% of his male friends, seems to be the done thing in this area but it isn't for us.

As a side note one of my cousins doesn't have a middle name and he has always felt a bit left out. Whatever you choose I think it is best to be consistent with all children you have, so none or all have middle names.

My dad and his 2 sisters don't have middle names. My grandad was a doctor and gave them all names beginning with M as his surname began with a D, so all 3 of their initials are MD.

It's a personal choice.

We chose Michael as the middle name for our son as his grandfather was only given a year to live while I was pregnant, his cousin born 5 months later has the middle name Michelle for the same reason. For this one we are trying to find a middle name that is unique, but my mum has suggested more then once that she'd like it if we chose Anne after her.

We have middle names but there is no law to have one. My eldest has my husbands name, and these 2 will have my grandads first name and middle name as he recently passed but he was a twin also :). I don't agree in middle names if they are named after a relative that nobody knows x

My daughter doesn't have a middle name, there were no family names we liked enough to use and it was hard enough picking a first name without having to add a middle name too lol. This baby wont have a middle name either. I have two middle names and hate them both, also I hate saying my full name when people ask because I also have a double barrel surname so have 5 names and its such a mouthful! X

i have a middle name but my brother doesnt. Its was my mums personal choice as she thinks its goes well with my name whereas not so much for my brothers name. we did have a laugh about it growing up as we always said mum couldnt afford a middle name for him, still gets brought up now and i am 28 lol! x

Middle names are a tough one for me. My middle name my mum and dad just liked, two sisters have middle names from relatives who has passed away and one sister doesn't have one. My OHs middle name is after his dad. If we have a girl we probably wont have a middle name at all but if we have a boy he'll be nicknamed the memorial child as he'll have two middle names and his first name all to honour people whove died! The reason it will be two is because i really want him to have my uncles name as a middle name as he tragically took his life in Dec but it doesn't go with the first name ha! Poor child, noone will really know though would they? Noone would know my middle name unless i told them.

We gave our daughter the same middle name as me, which is the name of the village where my nana grew up. It's also a very pretty name! My brother's middle name is a traditional Cornish name.

We'll be giving this little bean a middle name - if a boy it'll be my husband's grandfather's name (we decided this ages ago :) )

You should just do what makes you happy! If you don't want one, don't have one! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't have one but husband does so I wasn't fussed but as we were deciding it just felt right. It was only once we decided I realised it was my mums middle name! My mum gets called something completely diff to her name as my uncle couldn't say it so I just forget she has another 2 names lol.

It wasn't a deal breaker for me and we didn't go out of our way to do it either X

Where I'm from it just depends how 'Irish' your are lol I have one middle name after my granny, my friend has 5 middle names, you knew her mummy was cross when she called them all, this is my last baby so I'll probably give her two middle names after both grandmothers but I don't think it's a must have thing, nobody really ever uses them

Course you don't have to have a middle name! I have a middle name and my brother does but neither have a single thing to do with family or anything, my daughter has a middle name but she also doesn't have a name after any family members or anything either!
This baby also will have a middle name and my daughter chose it, co incidentally it is a family middle name that most of the men on my mums side all have as a middle name so that is a little more traditional, but it is only as sofia chose it and it just happened to be a family name. xx

I've picked a middle name if we have a girl after my grandma. But I think each to there own, if you don't want a middle name you don't need to have one, it's your baby so do whatever you both want. I am named after my dads first girlfriend and her twin sister who isn't my mum, not sure how that one got past her.

Thanks for all your replies ladies! Made me feel better about probably not giving our little one a middle name - I think I thought it was completely out of the norm to not give one but pleased your replies have proven me wrong :)

xxxx

As everyone else has said, it is your choice- don't feel pushed into picking a middle name if you don't want to. I love my middle name because it was m dads surname before his step father adopted him.

If we have a boy his middle name will be my dads middle name because its fantastic. I love it, quite unusual. This is my choice and I would not let people dissuade me form it so don't let people pressure you. You go with what you love

In my opinion, really a lot of people don't have a middle name. May be in the UK and the U.S. the majority has got a middle name, but if you travel across Europe, you'll meet a lot of people without a middle name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back