Is Engorgement THIS uncomfortable?

Julia

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I had my baby 4 days ago and have decided to give up breastfeedling (only had colostrum) because I was passing blood on to the baby from my boobs..anyway...my breasts have now engorged and are very hot, very hard and VERY big!!! They are so uncomfortable. The midwife said not to feed or express because they will think that the baby is still feeding and produce milk......HELP??!!

Julia xxxx

yup, that's your milk coming in :)

blood doesn't harm your baby BTW... i didn't start bf-ing until my milk came in due to latching issues. however if you don't want to breast feed, then your MW is right that you need to leave your boobs alone. stimulation of any sort will keep them producing milk.

:hug:

thanks purple 13,

I will leave well alone.....my DH could not believe the size of them when I showed him earlier! He thinks I need help!!!

Julia xxxxx

Mine were exactly like that, the good news is that it only lasts a couple of days. Warm showers are meant to be very good for relieving the discomfort. Other than that, wear a good supportive bra and make sure you have plenty of breastpads.

Yep the girls have covered it all. Take some pain killer and just ride it out for a few days until they go down :hug:

Change your breast pads regularly because once you start leaking it'll just keep coming out until some of the pressure is relieved and it soaks through really quickly :doh:

If I were you, I'd give feeding a go now that your milk has come in. It's much easier when your milk's in than when you just have colostrum in the first few days.

You never know, you might get the hang of it, and it'll be brill for your LO.

K.xx

Hi Julia,

Congratulations hun! We finally got our babies.

I could have written this post myself as im in the same boat. My HV said to leave them alone if im not going to breastfeed.

Claire x

Hi Claire,

At last we are talking about our babies which we are holding in our arms rather than housing in our stomachs!!! Yes, my friend, who is a midwife, said just leave them alone otherwise they will be stimulated into producing more milk! Why on earth people have implants is beyond me!!

Julia xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back