Is any medication safe for colds?

Zodiac

Reaction score
I've got a real stinking cold (since Tues). Nose is constantly streaming, and poor LO must be taking a right battering with the stomach contractions everytime I sneeze and cough!

So far I've just been making cups of hot water laced with honey & lemon juice, but to be fair it's not really helping.

Also - not the best time to be getting a DR's appointment with it being X-mas eve tomorrow - so was wondering if there is any safe over the counter medication you could recommend. Or do I just have to grin & bear it :x

Thanks.... & Merry Christmas everyone.

paracetamol (safe and brings your temp down) hot drinks, warm duvet, christmas telly and breathing in steam before you go to bed.... I'm afraid that is the only thing that will work pregnant or not - even your dr will not have a magic cure :( I'm afraid the over the counter stuff is mainly placebo and a money making exercise for the chemist (hence the brightly coloured bottles - if it really worked there would only be one and it wouldn't have an exciting label :( )

hope you feel better soon!

im full of cold aswell. paracetamol hasnt done a thing for me. ive just been drinking alot of warm drinks, be honest not really helped either lol
:( just one of those things got let it run its course i suppose.
hope feel better soon

lots of vicks and lots of packets of lockets lol ive used a nasal spray to help with the decogestion and it was really helpful.

im still suffering, the cough is the worse bit, its just not shifting

I used a nasel spray too when i've had colds in previous pregnancies, i can't cope with a blocked nose at all, i even packed it in my labour bag and used it during labour :rotfl:

not sure about lemsip, is it paravetamol based? if so i don't see the harm as paracetamol is ok but you'd better check first otherwise ask a pharmacy but i think its probably moreso a case of grin and bear it.

hope it gets better soon though :hug:

You can use saline drops which might help - ask the pharmacist. I also used vicks vaporub when I was suffering.

Lemsip is paracetamol based but still not advised in pregnancy as are no other cold remedies as they contain decongestants which can be harmful to the little one.... so I would assume any kind of nasal spray would be advised against too... but what you do is up to you of course :hug:

I had a cold early on in my pregnancy and managed with paracetamol, hot honey and lemon drinks and plenty of rest and other fluids. :sleep:

Try making the honey and lemon drinks with a fresh real lemon. Squeeze the whole lemon into a mug and add honey to sweeten it. Loads more vit C that way :hug:

Really hope you feel better soon :hug: :hug:

Christina1979 said:
I had a cold early on in my pregnancy and managed with paracetamol, hot honey and lemon drinks and plenty of rest and other fluids.

Try making the honey and lemon drinks with a fresh real lemon. Squeeze the whole lemon into a mug and add honey to sweeten it. Loads more vit C that way

this is what i did, the pharmacist told me there was nothing else that i could take but if it hadnt started to clear within 5 days to go see the doc.

Thanks ladies.

I figured as much.... just hoping for a miracle cure I guess! :wall:

Oh well - back to the honey & lemon drinks.

Hope you're all feeling better soon & have a fab Christmas regardless

:D

Zodiac said:
Thanks ladies.

I figured as much.... just hoping for a miracle cure I guess! :wall:

:D

I know you feel - when I was heavily pregnant and suffering from a bad cold, I could have cried each time I read the back of the boxes and saw "not suitable for use during pregnancy"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back