introducing a dummy, yes or no?

flower

Reaction score
Another question......
my baby is a month old now. If i start letting him have a dummy, could it cause compllications with my breastfeeding? its just that sometimes in the evenings he spends forever sucking my breast, but not eating, hes just there for comfort. Was wondering if introducing a dummy might help this? Its just that ive heard so many negative things about dummies im not sure what to do!

I gave Poppy a dummy when she was a month old and it didn't cause any problems with breastfeeding. She still uses the dummy now and is still breastfeeding.

we use both ... if you let him suckle and not eat, you'll soon get sore :)

I also introduced a dummy because he would suck on me forever if I didn't pull him off! It hasn't interfered with breastfeeding at all - in fact I think it's probably made it easier. I only give him his dummy when he's going to sleep though x

I also introduced a dummy at about 6 weeks and it didn't interfere with breastfeeding. She weaned herself off of it at 3 months also.

Go with your instincts; there is so much negativity about dummies but lots of babies have a strong sucking reflex and a dummy can really help.

Good luck :hug:

thanx for the advice... i think i might try the dummy tonight and see how we get on! my nipples are killing me from his constant suckling!

nay has used a dummy a couple of times, but personally a don't like them

i see five years olds with them in they month, and taking it out when they talk :shakehead:

but anyway nay used to use me as a dummy on my boob, but as soon as she done that i took her off, but she know now and also knows if she starts i'm having none of it :shakehead:

:hug:

D had pne at 3 weeks as he was suckling for hours litterally...he gave them up at about 4 months of his own accord..do whats right for you and your LO

Hi

I gave Kiara one at around 4-6 weeks i cant remember lol and she BF just fine!!
Have not and wont give one to Kadyn this time though :)
Do what you feel is right hun

Katrina

Well, i tried to give him a dummy the other night but he doesnt seem to like it, he keeps spitting it out! ive tried a few different times, but he doesnt seem to like it at all. So i guess he has answered the question for me! no dummy it is then :lol:

I tried a dummy with Ewan but he would not take it and would spit it out. so i never bothered after that. Tried showing him his thumb but wouldnt take that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back