Infant Gaviscon

x-kirsty-x

Reaction score
Ryans been on gaviscon for his reflux for a while now and he was like a different baby, so content and easy going.

Now all of a sudden its stopped working and I've got my twisty, crying, unhappy, screaming baby back, and he's being sick all the time again.

I used to spend all day crying cos I couldnt cope and now Im doing the same again. I cant even put him down cos the reflux makes him scream constantly all day :cry: :cry: :cry:

I had to walk away from him this morning and left him crying, I cant do this anymore :(

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Can you not go to a chemist and see if they can give him somthing else?

I tried that, they said they needed proof that he has reflux because they don't just hand medicines out to anyone :roll:

I'll just have to wait til Monday to see the doctor :(

Do you have a local walk-in centre or a out of hours doctor... they might be able to help :)

x-kirsty-x said:
Ryans been on gaviscon for his reflux for a while now and he was like a different baby, so content and easy going.

Now all of a sudden its stopped working and I've got my twisty, crying, unhappy, screaming baby back, and he's being sick all the time again.

I used to spend all day crying cos I couldnt cope and now Im doing the same again. I cant even put him down cos the reflux makes him scream constantly all day :cry: :cry: :cry:

I had to walk away from him this morning and left him crying, I cant do this anymore :(

Awww hun :hug: :hug:

I know how it feels im having the same problem with maddison , she too is suffering from reflux and is on infant gaviscon for it .

Im also having the same problem with putting her down .
I thought it was her been mardy but was told it was due to reflux by HV.

How many of the infant gaviscon is ryan on ?

I was told by my doc to give it maddison at every feed .

Im here if you need a chat just PM me :hug: :hug:

Hi wend, he's on one sachet every feed. It used to work briliantly but now its just stopped :?

Its awful cos he just cries and twists and wont drink properly and I get stressed with him but its not even his fault :(

His daddys home now so he's taken him off my hands while I have 5 minutes rest.

Does anyone know what other medicines the GP might prescribe? :think:

Have you tried changing his formula to say the comfort one?
Thats something the doctor might suggest

Hi my son is on infant gaviscon too. when we uped his feed we uped his gaviscon... 6oz and 1and a half sachets. Can you not give him more.. I truly feel for you both :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

x-kirsty-x said:
Its awful cos he just cries and twists and wont drink properly and I get stressed with him but its not even his fault :(

Thats what maddison does too :( when you put the bottle in her mouth she will suck for about 2 mins then start to cry and she will push you hand away .

But then she will cry again for the bottle and as soon as you give it her she will suck for 2 mins and then it starts all over again .

Weve put her on Aptamil easy digest when she was 3 weeks old due to colic and it helped with that.

I dont think there is anything else because the doc told me that gaviscon was the only thing :cry:

Apparently reflux is suppose to get better as they get older.

Weve also found that maddison doesnt like sleeping on her back the only place she will sleep ok is in her bouncing chair weve also found as soon as she does lie down she will bring up sick :( .

The HV said thats its one of the worst things babies have in the first few months and that it 10 times more worse then colic pain wise :cry: :cry:

I wish i could take the pain away from her so she can have some comfort .

It is hard i will say that and i too feel helpless and have many of time sat and cried .

Ive found rocking also helps and holding them tight not too tight though lol dont know about swaddeling cause maddison dont like it

Princess_Puddles said:
Have you tried changing his formula to say the comfort one?
Thats something the doctor might suggest

We've tried every milk going, none of them make a difference :(

wend said:
x-kirsty-x said:

Thats what maddison does too :( when you put the bottle in her mouth she will suck for about 2 mins then start to cry and she will push you hand away .

But then she will cry again for the bottle and as soon as you give it her she will suck for 2 mins and then it starts all over again .

Weve put her on Aptamil easy digest when she was 3 weeks old due to colic and it helped with that.

I dont think there is anything else because the doc told me that gaviscon was the only thing :cry:

Apparently reflux is suppose to get better as they get older.

Weve also found that maddison doesnt like sleeping on her back the only place she will sleep ok is in her bouncing chair weve also found as soon as she does lie down she will bring up sick :( .

The HV said thats its one of the worst things babies have in the first few months and that it 10 times more worse then colic pain wise :cry: :cry:

I wish i could take the pain away from her so she can have some comfort .

It is hard i will say that and i too feel helpless and have many of time sat and cried .

Ive found rocking also helps and holding them tight not too tight though lol dont know about swaddeling cause maddison dont like it

Im pleased someone else knows how hard it is, unless you spend all day with a reflux baby you have no idea what its like :hug:

Charlie had reflux from 3 months old and we tried Gaviscon but it gave him stomach cramps so we researched and found a formula called SMA Staydown. We ordered a tin from our chemist to try and it was a real pain in the bum to prepare but it worked really well. We still had a small amount of reflux but nothing near as bad as it used to be and we asked our GP if we could have it on prescription and we had it prescribed until he was 12 months!!! We had an order of 6 tins at a time.
Like I said you need to make it up a certain way and dont try and cheat as it breaks down the ingredient that helps keep it down which defeats the whole object.
Might be worth a try if you havent already.

ps. We tried normal C&G milk, Gaviscon, Infacol, C&G Comfort (poo's we vile!!!) and Colief drops so we know how you feel!!!
pps....Charlie grew out of it at about 9 -10 months we noticed we werent washing as many bibs and we actually ventured outside with him not in a bib...we were so brave!!!!!

mdsremos said:
Charlie had reflux from 3 months old and we tried Gaviscon but it gave him stomach cramps so we researched and found a formula called SMA Staydown. We ordered a tin from our chemist to try and it was a real pain in the bum to prepare but it worked really well. We still had a small amount of reflux but nothing near as bad as it used to be and we asked our GP if we could have it on prescription and we had it prescribed until he was 12 months!!! We had an order of 6 tins at a time.
Like I said you need to make it up a certain way and dont try and cheat as it breaks down the ingredient that helps keep it down which defeats the whole object.
Might be worth a try if you havent already.

ps. We tried normal C&G milk, Gaviscon, Infacol, C&G Comfort (poo's we vile!!!) and Colief drops so we know how you feel!!!
pps....Charlie grew out of it at about 9 -10 months we noticed we werent washing as many bibs and we actually ventured outside with him not in a bib...we were so brave!!!!!

Hi hun, thanks for that but staydown was the first alternative we tried and it didnt work at all so we stopped (and it was SUCH a pain to make up so I was kind of glad we had to stop lol!)

Thank you for your help though :D :hug:

Kirsty, Tom has reflux still at 7 months.
He started on the Infant Gaviscon but is now on medication for it and it works much better so definitely worth seeing your doctor.
One thing that definitely helps is to keep them upright for AT LEAST 20 minutes after feeding. Just put him over your shoulder and walk about or sit with him for a while.
Have you propped up his cot/moses basket too? Put some books under one end so that it's at an angle. That will help.
I know how hard it is but it does get better.
Good luck. Lucyx

:hug: :hug: :hug:
no experience thankfuilly but sounds so difficult..hopefully you will find something that helps

Lewis was exactly the same as this and I know how hard and frustrating it can be. I changed his milk to the cow & gate cmfort but to be honest found he was still being very sick on this. I spoke to my HV and she referred to the doctors and I got a prescription milk called enfamil anti reflux. Since being on this I have had a big improvement don't get me wrong he still does be sick fro time to time but it doesn't stress him which makes it far more bearable.
Have a chat with you HV of doctor and hopefully you will get it sorted soon. Meantime just try and get through it I promise it does get easier :hug:

My little girl also has reflux and is on infant gaviscon but it gives her such bad constipation. We did stop it for a couple of days and the constipation stopped (with the help of lactalose) but the reflux came back again so its back to the infant gaviscon and constipation again. I think a trip to the doctors is required to see if she can give a different type of medicine. Lucybee - what medicine is Tom now on?

How do you all give it to your babies? I cant get my boy it swallow it!

i mix it with water first, to disolve, then add it to some EBM

riley has been given lactolose (or something like that) for constipation, as he was only going every couple of days.

give it before a meal, about 20mis before if possible, as it gives it time to work before he has his feed.

difficult i know, but thats what the doctor told me to try, and he seems alot better having it like that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back