Induction.. What Happens?

pringle88

Reaction score
hiya :)

Being induced over the next week or so is a big possibility for me so i would just like to know exactly what happens... im really bad for wanting to know every little detail so if anybody has the experience of being induced id love to know what happens... how it happens, how often you get it, are you examined before? etc etc im trying to avoid googling things as you get so many weird responses!

thank you xx

Hey hun......I haven't been thru it myself, but I too may end up being induced soon! From my knowledge u will have an internal to see how ripe ur cervix is and whether things have started.....depending on that I think they then decide whether to give u the gel pessary that contains the hormones to help your cervix soften and efface.........think you're monitored for 30mins to check LO ok and then they leave it for ? 6 hours before they do another internal and c progress......think u can then have a 2nd pessary if needed and monitoring etc repeated.......some hospitals I think do up to 4 pessaries but I'm really not sure!! After that hopefully labour will be kicked off and u will progress ok on your own......if not then I think they go for the hormone drip which they can adjust the dose of hormone according to how you're going. I have read and heard this in particular can make labour more painful as contractions come quicker without much build up and are more intense. I guess if the drip still doesn't work then u end up with a c-section? I think the whole process is really dependent on what your body has done already and how it responds to the hormones.

Hopefully some of the other girls will be able to tell us more accurately what goes on.....there are some stories in the labour and birth section of the forum that would be worth a read if u haven't looked already! Good luck xxx

Thanks for the info, I'm booked for an induction next Thursday and I really dont want it :( so I'm really really hoping she'll come before then... sooner rather than later lol xx

Thanks for that hun, really useful ill have a read through some labour stories too, get myself prepared! really dont want to be induced but whatevers best for LO eh xx

I have had 2 inductions. My first had the pessaries needed 4 can make u bit tehder on internals !! bit didnt really need the drip only had it on for an hr and was on the lowest rate. coped with gas and air although i labour quick so by the time i felt i needed something stronger i was delivering.
My trust are using a new pessary called propess its like a small tampon thing and can stay in for 24 hrs and they dont do any internals with it until you are have regular tightenings aparently its very effective but they thought I was already 3-4 cm dilated this time so didnt have it. Will post bout my induction this time shortly. It wasnt horrendous and I did have the drip on for 5 hrs and was increased quite alot. managed with gas and air and 1 lot of pethedine xxx

ok thanks hun :) looking forward to reading it x

That will be good to read lewisca......

LaurenMM try not to worry hun.....u have more time left than me and u have had some good signs from what you've posted! Im 41+1 today and feel like time is running out for me but trying to stay calm and if they feel I need to be induced at the end of the week so be it......like pringle says, whatever is best for LO. I guess the more relaxed we are the more likely it'll happen naturally......I feel your frustration tho hun xx

I am booked for induction on Wed, so I also have a question - do you get a separate room when you are being induced?

I am booked for induction on Wed, so I also have a question - do you get a separate room when you are being induced?

I don't think so hun, when I was admitted for high bp there was a girl on the same ward who had been induced x

I had a separate room when I was induced - think it just depends on whats free at the time. I didn't have the gel pessary but a string - similar to a very thin tampon which they hook over the cervix and let it hang out a little bit.

They monitored me for 30 mins, then did an internal to see how ripe the cervix was. put this string in as was only 1cm still. Then it was monitoring every 6ish hours and they planned to do a second internal 24 hours later. From there they were going to decided whether to do a second string (there is an official name but I can't remember it), break my waters if possible or go for the drip but I was in labour before it got that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back