inducing at 37w with the drip.

setdse

Reaction score
ok my thoughts of a lovely relaxed water birth with G&A is out the window and it looks like its the drip for me. :roll:

Have any of you ladies out there had to be induced with the drip be it because your past you DD or early because of complications?

I have read up a bit about it and a lot of people say its really bad and made them quite ill and was a really bad labour experience!

Its completely freaked me out. I dont want to be strapped to a bed with a drip and i dont want to be ill or end up having a c-section! :shock:

I find out on Tuesday if they are gunna induce me or not but the consultant said its quite likely they will.

I've stopped researching it now cos i found the more i looked into it the more horror stories i found.

I just don't know what to do now... Im really dreading it!:mad:

Hey hun I had the.stop with dd as I got stuck for hours at 3 cm waters had gone and my dd had pooed inside me. I can't really say much abit it.contractions came.hard.and.v v fast.abd it felt although no idea how long I was 10cm in 30 mins and pushing the pain was intense and I did beg.for a epidrial but told to late push I did it on pethadine. I am hoping I dont have the drip again as your monitored and I was more or less bed bound but it wasn't.that bad I'm doing it again. Lol x x

Ooo forgot to say labour was 12 hours from start to finish if I had had drip early maybe quicker I didn't feel ill from it. G&A made me feel sick but due to dry throat abd pethadine was my best.friend and defo have it again lol x x

wow! thats fast! :/ although you were already part way there!

Would you go for an epidural if you had to do it again or go with pethadine?

Ermmmm I started with tens v good for early labour then gas and air pethadine and I would prob wait and see how I get on before having a epidiral. As I quite liked being able to get up afterwards I had a shower.and only reason I got kept in was due to dd pooing inside me.
So me personally would wait abd see how I felt. Lol x x

lol. ok thanks... i suppose everyone is different and its gunna happen either way! :( I will hold no expectations till the time! :)

That's the best wayhun.I wanted a water birth. Didn't get it this time I am not holding any ideas.

Cosmos I loved it. It gave me enough rest in-between as I fell asleep but came too enough to breath through. X x

I was on the drip with both of my DDs as my labour stops when I get to 4cm, didn't make me feel ill or anything, the first one was hard and it came really fast, the second was better as I was able to tell them it was too much and they lowered the dosage. You should have breaks between contractions but with the first I didn't. I was on my knees with them both, didn't have to lie on the bed but my mobility was restricted a bit. Fully expect to have it again with this one. x Oh and no epidurals with either.

Last edited:
Hey Hun I was induced we weren't expecting it but a sweep caused me to bleed and the hospital said it was safer to induce me there and then, the drip is pretty good at least it gets things moving, my experience was bad as I just could not dialate and could not get passed 5 cm so in the end had to have an emergency c section.
The drip can cause the labour pains to be worse than a traditional labour but I was open to the midwife recommending pain relief and the diamorphine worked for me in the early stages of labour, gas and air did nothing as I was in too much pain in my back but the Epidural was amazing I could not feel any of the pain.

The only downside for me was I was not prepared to be induced there and then and had no food and you cannot eat once you go on the drip so take plenty of food to scoff before you go on it to build up your energy levels xx

hiya - i was induced with my little girl 4 years ago...i had done hypnobirthing and really wanted a waterbirth too with as little drugs as possible. But when i was 7 days past my due date they wanted to induce me so i had the prostin pessarys first, then they broke my waters at 2cm dilated and i then went to about 4 or 5cm on my own but they said it was taking too long so put me on the drip...

i had an epidural which they had to re-position a couple of times (i have a slight curved spine) but once that was working they started me on the drip and increased the amount in steady intervals and although i couldn't feel a thing we could see by the moniter that the drip REALLY speeded up and strengthened the contractions. Once the drip was going i went from 5 to 10 in a couple of hours and then rested for an hour before i started pushing.

Took 1 hour to push her out and couldn't feel a thing - the epidural was fantastic. On paper my labour was about 12 hours, although it felt like longer as i had been on the ward for 2 days previous having the postin pessarys in order to get me to 2cm.

I think without that drip i neever would have got to 10cm, or if i had it would have taken so long. In the end i thoroughly enjoyed my "induced" labour and just accepted the fact that i had to stay on the bed - once that epidural kicked in i just watched tv, chatted to hubby and basically waited for the drip to do it all for me! I had to obviously do the pushing part and i had a 2nd degree tear but i didn't feel any of it and it wasn't too sore afterwards - all well worth it.

Whatever and however your baby gets here it is still an amazing thing to bring a baby into the world and there is no right or wrong way. You should just go with the flow - have as much pain relief, help and assistance as you need or not and however it happens you will be the proudest mum ever!

I had the drip with DD as my labour stopped at 3cm but I did it with g&a only and it didnt make me ill. Sure the contractions are fast and intense but it prob won't take you long. Don't read anymore nasty stories because there will be experiences with all types of labour and it's not helpful at all.

Thanks girls! the fact most of you have gone on to ahve more kids helps! Obviously not that traumatic! Just wasnt what i was thinking when i was planning my labor for the last 30w! :/ O well im really gunna take pain relief seriously now and look at every angle! Im a sucker when it comes to pain. Even periods and too much pain makes me physically sick (thats how i ended up on depo contraception which in turn ended me up in this situation) Epidural sounds so nice Treeze when you put it all like that. I still wanna try and do it without but at least it is there as an option!

Thanks x

Hey Hun I was induced we weren't expecting it but a sweep caused me to bleed and the hospital said it was safer to induce me there and then, the drip is pretty good at least it gets things moving, my experience was bad as I just could not dialate and could not get passed 5 cm so in the end had to have an emergency c section.
The drip can cause the labour pains to be worse than a traditional labour but I was open to the midwife recommending pain relief and the diamorphine worked for me in the early stages of labour, gas and air did nothing as I was in too much pain in my back but the Epidural was amazing I could not feel any of the pain.

The only downside for me was I was not prepared to be induced there and then and had no food and you cannot eat once you go on the drip so take plenty of food to scoff before you go on it to build up your energy levels xx

I had the drip in an induction at 38 weeks + 1 day when they started. I was allowed to eat, don't get why they didn't let you eat. But I am diabetic so probably down to that. Can only guess its to do with the chances of section they perfer you to not have eaten I had to drip some weird stuff to stop my stomach acid doing something... Can't remember x

^^ I think it's incase of an emergency section yeah.

Setdse, I noticed in another thread that you didn't want to be stuck to the bed but when I had the drip I could walk around and do whatever position I wanted. So maybe you will too? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back