I may be induced

MummyJess

Reaction score
Had my consultant appointment today - well, actually saw the registrar who was okay.

My background is that I have previously had 2 big babies, 9lb 5oz and 10lb. My youngest had complications during labour because although her head was born normally, her shoulders were actually broader and she got wedged for 20 min before the midwives managed to free her :shock: (had homebirth so limited options). Luckily, we were both fine but obviously I'm nervous about it happening again. Apparently if you've previously had a case of shoulder dystocia then you're more prone to it again :doh: . So we've opted for a hospital birth this time and my midwife recommended that I see the consultant to discuss the possiblity of early or due date induction.

The doctor today listened to my experience last time and agreed that I am higher risk than usual. She said they would see me again in a couple of weeks and they would see if I was 'favourable' to an induction. She said that they would definitely induce a lady with a big baby caused by a medical reason such as diabetes but not necessarily someone who doesn't need it medically i.e. me. That's because there can be more complications with an induced labour. She has said that they will do an internal at my next appointment and if my cervix is favourable, they will do the induction then. If I'm not already on my way then they will leave it longer. I think this is fair enough, as I don't want to push things along if me and the baby aren't ready.

She tried to give me an appointment for the 11th March, but I wasn't happy about that cos it's 3 days after my due date and chances are that the baby would be quite big by then. So I asked to be seen earlier and she agreed to an appointment on the 3rd, when I'll be 39+2. My midwife has told me that because this is my 4th baby then my cervix should be quite favourable by that stage and induction is likely to be more successful than a 1st baby. Also he has started to engage already, which is unusual for a 4th baby apparently.

So fingers crossed that I'll be good to go on the 3rd March! Unless baby decides to come sooner that is! (Although I'd rather he didn't arrive this weekend as my parents are taking the kids away for a couple of days and I'm looking forward to a lie-in! :sleep: )

Hope he either comes along under his own steam or you get your induction early hun it will help ease your mind with all that Molly is going through too :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back