• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I just don't get it??

Young Mum 21 x

Reaction score
Hey girls! A friend of mine who has a baby a few days younger than Harry (almost 4 months) txt me earlier asking if I had taken Harry swimming.. To which I replied 'yes it was his first time today'.. She then txt sayin..Have u dunked him under water yet.. A friend of mine suggested it'... Well I haven't and don't understand y I would? And what does the baby get out of it? Anyone dunked their baby or know why people do this!? :/ xxxx

Lots of people do it at swimming lessons to make sure babies don't have fear of it. Babies hold their breath naturally x

I think If I done it to harry he would scream the place! He was stunned when a lil girl splashed him lol.. Xx

Yep I did it. Count to 3 and on 3 give a small blow in his face and dunk! He's 4 now and is so confident in the water

I did it with my 1st at swimming lessons. He did not like it one bit :( so I won't be doing that again.

I've done it at swimming lessons -the idea is to get them used to the water and going under so that if they were to fall in they dont panic. The lessons also eventually get them to hopefully float on their back or make to the side of the pool and hold on.....

We go to water babies and they go under every week, i even let go of him now and he swims up to the surface its brilliant to watch. It helps them be confident in the water. There are 'rules' for doing it though, you need key words to prepare them, we say their name, ready, go, then put under, only do it 3 times max in half an hour swim, and never do it if they are crying or have hiccups. They do hold their breath and move as if to swim, it really is amazing to watch with goggles on!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Wow! It does actually make sence I suppose as if they was to fall in one day they are used to it! Have they got to be a certain age? xx

I never did it with my first and he hates water! I did it with my second! Every time we went swimming! Me and my partner would do it between us in the water and 1 would put goggles on and watch under water! It's amazing to see they actually look like they are swimming! He is so confident in the water now :)

I never ever did it with my child but reading this post i see why they do it now .

Wow! It does actually make sence I suppose as if they was to fall in one day they are used to it! Have they got to be a certain age? xx

I heard it had to be done before three months but I'm sure it could be done whenever x

I've done it since E was 9 weeks old when I first took her swimming. I went with a friend who does waterbabies and she showed me the technique they used. She was fine and just looked at me with a 'what happened' look the first time then was fine second time.

We do it everytime we go swimming so when we start lessons in a couple of weeks she won't scream the place down!

We do it at swimming lessons. Grace is now really good in the water. She can have water poured over her head and doesnt bat an eye lid lol

I also read that last year something like 4 babies under 2 saved themselves if they fell into a pool or pond because they could get themselves to the side and hold on until an adult found them after doing swimming lessons as babies

I also read that last year something like 4 babies under 2 saved themselves if they fell into a pool or pond because they could get themselves to the side and hold on until an adult found them after doing swimming lessons as babies

That's amazing! My mum and dad were at a BBQ and pool party last summer, there was no room for them to sit around the patio with the others so they went down the garden to sit by the pool to eat. A little 3 year old was wandering by the pool by himself and fell in. She was expecting him to bob back up but he didn't so she jumped in fully clothed to pull him out and passed him to my dad. They both shouted for someone to come, eventually someone did but luckily the boy was fine just a bit shocked. You dread to think what would have happened if they hadn't been sat there. No-one even noticed he was gone.

Last edited:
I took my oldest to swimming lessons when she was tiny, and she absolutely adored them - until the day we were told to dunk them under the water. She absolutely hated it, and from then onwards she would scream the place down everytime I took her even near the pool, cling to me and be terrified. We persevered (without a repeat performance of the dunking, though) and she did eentually overcome her fear in the end and is now a confident swimmer. But it certainly wasn't a positive experience for her in any way. I know it works for many babies, it just didn't for us.

I took my oldest to swimming lessons when she was tiny, and she absolutely adored them - until the day we were told to dunk them under the water. She absolutely hated it, and from then onwards she would scream the place down everytime I took her even near the pool, cling to me and be terrified. We persevered (without a repeat performance of the dunking, though) and she did eentually overcome her fear in the end and is now a confident swimmer. But it certainly wasn't a positive experience for her in any way. I know it works for many babies, it just didn't for us.

This is what I'd be afraid of, think it mayb a lil too late now to try him! xx

I do it with Alice have since i first took her at three weeks she doesnt scream just looks shocked lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back