I Don't Know What To Do :(

Hi Dannii,

I went overdue with no.1 and no.3 (Daisy was 14 days and Ruby 12) and both times managed to narrowly escape induction. I was sent home due to lack of staff on both occasions, and then started naturally (must have been due to the stress, ha ha).

I must say, the thought of being induced really didn't appeal to me (although I do have a couple of friends who have, and who've had good birth experiences). I'd say go for a sweep if you could (I did refuse to have one with Daisy, but had one with Ruby and I do think it moved things forward a bit) - I'm surprised they don't offer them because in many cases they are successful. I think it's fine to set a date for induction (I chickened out of my first date this time - called the night before and asked them to give me just one more day; very glad I did). Funnily enough, I was talking about induction with a couple of other Mums at the toddler grp picnic today and someone was saying that it increases the chance of having to have an epidural as the contractions can get intense very quickly (I was given the drip for a few hours with Daisy as my labour had been going on for 48 hours; they had to stop the drip as she got distressed and then ended up with the c/section).

It's really down to what you're happiest with. I always said to myself that I'd allow myself to go to 42 weeks and then consider intervention with my first pregnancy (it was different this time due to the prev. c/section - they weren't keen to let me go too far over). I know they can break the waters if you don't want/ can't have the drip/ gel as that's what they were going to do with me. Other than that, nookie, or if that isn't possible, I'd recommend making beds - that certainly gave me BHs!!!

Don't know if it's much help really, it is a really difficult decision.

Good luck and don't worry, you'll both be fine. :hug:

DaisyRose said:
I went overdue with no.1 and no.3 (Daisy was 14 days and Ruby 12) and both times managed to narrowly escape induction. I was sent home due to lack of staff on both occasions, and then started naturally (must have been due to the stress, ha ha)
I'm glad you posted! Thank you :hug:

In a way, I can't quite believe that I can go from this (having only pelvic pain and no other signs) to suddenly being in labour and it happening naturally?! It's so wierd.. I think each day that passes is a day closer to HAVING to have intervention and the chance of a natural labour (where my body starts off by itself) decreases.

It's not that I don't agree with induction, it's that I'm scared of them... I think it's more the fact that like you said DaisyRose(+Ruby lol), they can cause more pain. Hmmm, I guess as long as I can have an epi or something before they attach the drip I'll be alright :lol:

Oh well, I guess I'll have a better idea tomorrow after seeing the MW (appt at 4:30pm) so I'll have a while to mull over it before I see her...

Thanks again ladies! xx

i thought id add my 2 cents :) well with Jack i wasnt actually induced but i had to go to hospital before i was having pains because my waters had broke and my blood pressure. So i ended up starting my contractions at 1am and OH wasnt allowed to be there with me until 9am because i wasnt in "established labour" and was just on my own in a ward. Which i found awful :( For this reason along i dont really want to be induced like you id rather go in when im actually in pain (mind you im hoping for a home birth this time). But like some have said theres no harm in having an induction date booked and then you can see how youll feel nearer the time. Think this is what im going to do. :hug:

See what I found hun: On average, babies weigh 7lbs, 8oz at birth and only 5% of babies are born on their actual due date - the rest come anywhere from two weeks before to two weeks after the due date.

So I think you should give it more time (unless MW advises otherwise because of health risks) and she'll be out on her own, I'm sure!

Thinking of you xxx

As a guide it hought i would let you kwo what our hospital does, we got told this at our antenatal classes...
if we go over 40 weeks we will be given a term+ appointment with the consultant (although you normally only see the midwife working with them) they then ask you if you want to be induced & if so they give you a date as close to 40wks +10days as poss, if not then they will give you another appointment for around then & they then look to give you an induction at 40wks+14day (42wks). So really they wont "force" one on you until you are 42 weeks.
x

dannii87 said:
I can't quite believe that I can go from this (having only pelvic pain and no other signs) to suddenly being in labour and it happening naturally?!

Hun I think everyone thinks that! (well everyone who has no symptoms! :lol: )
I didnt have any symptoms until I was in labour! Each time!
With Joseph I woke as you know with mild contractions and they didnt stop, before that nothing at all! No BH (I didnt have them ever) no lose of plug, no pains except the normal aches of pregnancy etc!
Same with Dillon and Lucy! Didnt lose the plug or get pains until the contractions started!
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Anyways Im sure you will be having something later on dont you worry! Its Thursday after all!! ;)

Hello :wave:

Just thought I'd add, with an induction, there is more of a chance of your labour ending in intervention or a c-section.

I can't understand why you can't have a sweep? Can't you even have an internal to check what your cervix is doing so you may have more of an idea of what your body is up to, and make your decision a bit easier? The pains you have been having may not have kick-started things, but it may be your body preparing itself and maybe in a few days things will start moving?

Good luck at the midwives :hug:

Dannii hun, I can relate a bit to how you are feeling :hug: I was booked in for an induction on the Tuesday, but luckily started labour the Sunday before. I really didn't fancy being induced, but I kept telling myself that at least baby boy would be here very soon, so in another way I was looking forward to it.

I was also so scared of the pain, but sweetheart, it really isn't as bad as you think. I would now happily go through labour without pain relief as I know that once the baby is out, the pain just disappears.

Are you getting any type of pains yet, even the tiniest of period pains? :hug:

Hey hun,

I can only give you the view of being induced and I like you was scared soooo much of it, but honestly it wasnt that bad.

Before being induced I had 3 sweeps which did nowt, was taken in to hospital and had either 3 or 4 goes of the gel which again did nothing. I eventually was hooked up to the drip and bang I was well on my way!

Although I was scared of it, I still went ahead as it meant I could be cuddling my gorgeous princess earlier than if I left it, which I know maybe sounds selfish, but all the checks were showing that she was healthy and would have coped with the labour

Steelgoddess said:
lea m said:
Steelgoddess said:
I've also heard of ppl going in for inductions and woop contractioncs begin naturally typical eh?
Yeh my mum went into be induced with my lil sis and had the gel, did nothing, had it again, did nothing!They gave her a day they were going to give her the drip and she went into spontaneous labour anyways!

Without meaning to sound dodgey, but isnt that gel the same thing as love sauce? Hence why they say have jiggy to start labour??

Yes it is!

Have lots of sex!

Seriously though you can always be booked in and then change your mind. They booked me in for 42 weeks when I was only 1 day overdue, I just think they like to book the space. I hate hospitals too so I sympathize. I think it's mean if they don't let your OH stay with you while things happen- don't forget that they're not prisons and they can't make someone leave, if it makes you uptight and anxious to be alone I would discuss this beforehand and get it put in your notes or something. My first time I got so bossed around by everyone in hospital I felt quite bullied by it, they got me in such a tense state (this was after labour mind you, they were great for that bit) that I am desperate to get out as soon as is humanly possible this time even if it means running for the exit with my baby in arms! I'd like to have a home birth but my OH and Mum won't even think about it and as they're my birth partners I don't have a choice :cry:

Why not book it and then see how everything is doing in a few days time?
+++

Danni, the thought of an induction scared me to death, everyone in 3rd tri knew how that is what i really really DIDN'T want, but as the days went by and i got more and more overdue, i really didn't care as long as me and my baby were safe and healthy thats all that mattered.

Plus you will find as soon as the MW gives you the date for your induction, you will work yourself up like i did, thinking it will be more painful and all the other things like going in alone and POP it will happen before then naturally!!!
Both my boys were 11days overdue and labour started near enough the same time both times, so you have plenty of time yet hun before it comes to make up your mind to go with an induction or not.

All the best of luck xxx

:hug: :hug:
dannii87 said:
I think it's more the fact that like you said DaisyRose(+Ruby lol), they can cause more pain. Hmmm, I guess as long as I can have an epi or something before they attach the drip I'll be alright :lol:

Thanks again ladies! xx

Induction does not cause more pain, its because the pain is more immediate then gradual which makes it more painful if that makes sense, with natural labour you have a chance to get used to the pain mentally like a peak which dips and then raises, therefore giving your brain a chance to have a better coping mechanism and give u a general idea of what it will be like...

The other thing I would say is as where others say don't rule out pain relief, don't rely on it either, you don't know how you will be, give yourself a chance to cope mentally and physically see how you feel, you might surprise yourself..

Just to add my experience.

I was 10 days overdue and was induced on the 11th day. I was so scared and was so desperate for her to come naturally, but she just didnt want to. I could of left it longer i guess but i had no signs whatsoever and just had a gut feeling she wasnt going to come out by herself.

I must say i dont regret being induced. There wasnt any point me sitting around thinking and worrying about giving birth and so i just decided to go for it. Although to a point i agree babies shoud come when they are good and ready and naturally but this just doesnt always happen and because the placenta does stop working efficiently (or as well as it should do) after 40/41 weeks then induction is the best thing for some babies and mummies.

I went into hospital in the morning, the gel pessary thing was put in (this didnt hurt me at all by the way i barely even realised the midwife had done it and i would say having a sweep was far more painful) and my contractions started about 2 hours later and a further 7 hours later out popped my little girly!
If i ever have to be induced again then i wont be dreading it as i was before because it really wasnt that bad at all. Obviously everyone is different but people are induced every day and its so common with 1st babies.

I felt that as she was full term and gone over 40 weeks there was no reason for her to stay in there. Im glad iwas induced in the end. Good luck with whatever you decide. :hug:

Also i didnt have a drip. Not sure why you would have a drip. All the ladies who were being induced at the same time as me didnt have a drip either. Just popped the tablet pessary thing inside and that was it.

Hi Dannii,

I had an induction due to OC. I was just glad that they had picked up the condition and were doing something about it even though it was a bit sudden. I'm not sure how I'd have felt if I was given a date in the future for it. Anyhow, I think that induction is nothing to be too worried about. The plus side is that you are in hospital from the start so there is no worry about the dash to the hospital and deciding when it's the right time to go.

I guess I may have been lucky with the procedure and timing... I had my first dose of prostin gel at night. It was uncomfortable when she put it in but not unbearable. That night I had period like cramping and the mw gave me co-codomal. I had the best night sleep I've had for months that night! Next morning I had the second dose and called DH to come over. He was able to stay to the end. The contractions started immediately and were quite intense but manageable (I would have been more confident about it all if I'd realised at the time that these were the real deal but it all happened more quickly than I imagined). When I got to the stage of needing stronger pain relief than my TENS machine, they broke my waters and then the pain got a lot worse but I quickly had an epidural which was marvellous. I managed to deliver without further intervention with the help of a very good midwife who coached me to push and worked hard to get me to do it properly and avoid the forceps.

I guess induction is the only way I know but I would be happy to have it done that way again if necessary. I hope that you do start labour naturally but please don't worry too much if you do need to have an induction. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back