I dont know what to do, I could get pregnant and not know...

BeccaBeau

Reaction score
I dont know what to do... could I be pregnant?

I really need someone to help me answer this once and for all, as every time I attempt to ask my doctor about it I just come away more confused than I went in. I have been taking Microgynom 30, the contraceptive pill, for about 2 years now but I need to know something about my periods... Are they actually caused by the pill, or are they just allowed to happen when Ive stopped taking for that week? I have asked the doctor this before, and he says that they Are directly caused by the pill... So, if me stopping my pill every 3 weeks to have a period in my 4th actualy makes me have the period... :s Does this mean that if I got pregnant whilst taking the pill, rare but possible, that I would still have a period if it was at the time when I should stop? Basically, if I was pregnant, would I still have a period, as they are now caused by the pill, and not my body? And would it, technically, flush out my fertilised egg? Or would my body override the chemicals... :s

I am so confused... and I dont even know if any of that makes sense... I just really need help... Could I get pregnant, then technically abort my own egg, just by stopping my pill at the end of the packet??? x x x

With Microgynon, the 7 days of pills before your period (if you take them) are placebo pills and don't have any hormones in them. This means that when your doc says that the pills are causing you to have a period, it doesn't mean that there is anything IN those last 7 pills which is causing the period but that the pills you were taking before cause your body to basically have a 'withdrawal bleed' when you stop taking the synthetic hormones in the real pills, if that makes sense. Because of this, you're not having a real period when you bleed, because in order to have a real period you have to have ovulated, and Microgynon actually keeps your body from ovulating and just basically tricks it into thinking that it already did. It also changes the lining of your uterus so that even if you do ovulate and the egg gets fertilised, it's very unlikely to implant which means that the fertilised blastocyst gets flushed out. These two things combined are why it's really rare to get pregnant on the pill. However, if you did get pregnant and the egg properly implanted, in theory you should not bleed at the end of the cycle because the embryo implanting should override the synthetic chemicals put into your body by the pill.

Hope that helps, hon! :hug:

Just as a side note - I was on microgynon 30 for years and it doesn't have the 7 placebo pills, it's just the 28 and then you stop for a week.

I often wondered this myself but, as melissa has said, if you did manage to fall pregnant and the blastocyst successfully implanted, all the hormones given off by the embryo would stop you having your withdrawal bleed so you would most likely stay pregnant. Plus you'd know about it as you wouldn't have your monthly 'period'.

i got pregnant on the pill twice. the first time i didnt get the "withdrawal bleed" period it just didnt happen. baby was fine tho she's now 19 months old :) the second time i DID get a bleed but it was lighter than usual, lasted only one day, then stopped the next day, then started again on the third day. the bleeding that time was unfortunately the start of a miscarriage :(

Thank you so much to everyone for their messages! At least I know now, even though its rare, if I Do get pregnant, I'm not doing anything harmful... Thank you! x x x

buddabun said:
Just as a side note - I was on microgynon 30 for years and it doesn't have the 7 placebo pills, it's just the 28 and then you stop for a week.

I often wondered this myself but, as melissa has said, if you did manage to fall pregnant and the blastocyst successfully implanted, all the hormones given off by the embryo would stop you having your withdrawal bleed so you would most likely stay pregnant. Plus you'd know about it as you wouldn't have your monthly 'period'.

Weird...I was on it too while I was living in the US and mine had the placebo pills, but I'm pretty sure there was two separate types of it that she let me choose from, one with them and one without, and I chose with b/c I'm terrible for remembering to keep taking things if I've stopped! :lol: Hmm...maybe mine was a generic instead of the actual brand name? Anyway, no matter. :) Info is the same either way.

Mine was in UK and I wasn't given a choice. It was the little green packet...

Maybe they do make 2 kinds :)

When my friend's mum got pregnant with her, she was on the pill and she didn't even know she was pregnant till she was 6 months gone. She was still having periods. So I guess it's a miracle that she is here.

I know, me too! Her stomach was as flat as anything too and my friend ended up fine. Then she went on to get pregnant while using a condom which split and she thought she wasn't even ovulating at the time it happened! She must be super fertile like her mum.

Thanks, everyone! I just got really, like, wound up and stressed about it. Cos I was due to come on this weekend, and I was thinking, crap, I'm running out of time to postphone it if I Am doing something harmful. Well done on your friend, though! And good luck everyone! x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back