I don't know if this is useful to anyone but.....

fruityloop

Reaction score
Hi everyone, (sorry this is a bit long)

I posted a message on the 1st trimester boards telling the story of how I conceived. Someone suggested I post it on here as it may be of use to others who are TTC.

I am 36 and currently 9+6wks pg with 1st child. All my adult life I've had PCOS and have been overweight. I am probably classed as obese by the medical books but I've always been a big girl. I think I came out of the womb a size 16!!

10 years ago (with a previous partner), I went through ovarian diathermy, followed by drilling, followed by 8 courses of Clomid. I did not conceive during this time. I was told to pretty much give up any hopes I had of becoming a mum.

About 5 months ago I was ill and run down due to a stressful job. My GP took blood tests and it came back that I had high liver enzymes and I was fasting glucose impaired, which is the precursor to full blown diabetes. She recommended I take Milk Thistle capsules to soothe my liver and that I follow a diabetic (G.I.) diet. I thought I had nothing to lose so I did it.

I had repeat blood tests a month later and found that my liver enzymes were back to normal and that I had lost a bit of weight due to the diet. I also felt better than I had done for a while.

After 17 years of not using contraception, at the beginning of June I found out I was pregnant. To say I was gobsmacked was the biggest understatement of the century.

I saw my GP who said that there was a strong possibility it was helped by the diet and/or the Milk Thistle capsules.

If there is anyone out there who is TTC and has conditions similar to mine, I really recommend following a G.I. diet. I honestly don't know if it had anything to do with me getting pregnant after all these years, but my GP said it is quite possible and is a bit of a huge coincidence. I don't know about the Milk Thistle capsules. I have heard they do wonders for the liver but for fertility..... I'm not quite sure.

I hope this may has been of some use to someone. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Fruityloop
xxxx :hug:

Thanks for sharing your story hun!!
Will definately be saving that under J - for Just incase.

See how the next weekor so goes for me, but thank you so much for sharing your story

xox

Funny my OH thinks I should test for diabetes & asked a general question about it today in off-topic!

I need to look it up I think although in my case I have been unfortunate to have recurrent miscarriaged & somehow I linked to diabetes :? OH saying "I told you so" but thats men I've not been tested yet but I am going to rule it out.

How do they diagnosis PCOS?

I'm SO happy for you & thank you for sharing :hug:

x x

In my late teens/early twenties I went for 3 years without a period. I went to the doctor who ruled out pregnancy and then sent me for an abdominal ultrasound.

The scan revealed my ovaries were covered in small cysts (they look like a string of pearls draped over your ovaries). I also had problems with severe acne round my jawline (i.e. where a beard would be if I was a man), I had high levels of male hormone (androgens) in my blood, and I gained weight really easily (and found it hard to lose).

With those factors considered, I was diagnosed as a classical PCOS case.

It was only when I TTC with a previous partner that all the examinations and operations began.

Many women have PCOS without even knowing it. Mine is definitely noticeable (weight predominantly round the middle), but I am lucky that I don't get the hirsuitism that goes with it. It can cause misery.

Hope this helps.

Hi Wobbles

You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying the G.I. diet. I found it easy to stick to and felt so much better even after being on it for just 1 month.

Even if you don't officially get tested for diabetes, it's worth it.

I wish you so much luck. I've read your posts on other pages and I know you've been through such a lot.

I'm sending you a huge handful of the luck I seem to have been given.

Fruityloop
:hug:

I can't even remember how my PCOS was first diagnosed....
It was when i was 17, and i was having pains i think, so i was refered for gyne investigation, and they did blood tests and a scan.

Further blood tests last year showed no signs of PCOS, but now i'm back under investigation for it again.... so i'm confused!!

I do have a few of the symptoms of PCOS..... Theres a site for it too Wobbles, if you want to read up on it, but i don't think its whats affecting you cos you get pos OPK's (i still have AF monthly, but don't Ovulate, some women don't do either!) http://www.verity-pcos.org.uk/

Didn't the docs check for Diabetes in with your bloods? They did with mine, but that was my GP not the consultant guy!

xox

Fruityloop thanks you :hug: x

PCOS Symptoms can include:

recurrent miscarriages
oily skin, acne
being overweight, rapid weight gain; difficulty in losing weight

Hmmmmm now I moved back to England in 2001 from Northern Ireland & I was a size 10! Now I am a size 16 waist 18 top! Nothing has changed in my lifestyle.

Recurrent miscarriages defo!

Oily skin is a defo too!

Thanks I'm gonna push for tests on this.

Diabetes - Do you know Hayley I have no idea all I know is they were ok bar my borderline for lupus! But it's things like this I will find out when I quiz them when my final result comes through!

No treatment for PCOS really. If men had it there would be zillions poured into finding a cure though :wink:

We are just told to diet and exercise.

Funny thing is, when I had my dating ultrasound, they found just one single small 'simple' cyst on my right ovary, and none on my left.

Where'd they go??

Wobbles....
They say theres 2 ways to "help" PCOS....
1 = a full term pregnancy
2 = lose weight and it "may" sort itself out (thats why i was just told to do that!)

Thats why fruity is recommending the GI Diet!

xox

I lost a small amount of weight on the G.I. diet but I'd only been on it for about 2½ months when I found out I was pregnant.

I am a big lady. I'm a size 22-24 pre-pregnancy!! Heaven help me!!

I actually like my weight an seem to hold it well but had been thinking of a little loss so we can rule it out but I'm not what I would call overly over weight tbh as I'm quite tall as well!

Is slimfast suitable for those with diabetes because we & OH are starting that! So just incase :lol:

I had a cyst somewhere when I went through my first ordeal but they told me it was no big deal an they drained it but when they scanned me 2 weeks later it was back! Hmmmmm!

Wobbles said:
Thanks Rachael :D

Do they test for those in one go :shock: :lol: Getting blood from me is a nightmare. It's defo the 25th May though :dance:

The only thing that came up on my scans was a single ovary cyst. they drained it when I was in theatre & it returned by 1/2 weeks later! Not a problem though from what I gathered :think:

OMG I found it from when I first joined here!

Ok I'm now fuming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fruityloop said:
I lost a small amount of weight on the G.I. diet but I'd only been on it for about 2½ months when I found out I was pregnant.

I am a big lady. I'm a size 22-24 pre-pregnancy!! Heaven help me!!

I am a 22-24 too....
When i was at the hospital, (26th June) was 102kgs..... am down to 96, thats not from following any diet, just cutting out sugars and fast food etc!!
I was only saying last week, i've lost 6kilos but hadn't noticed any change in my trousers feeling big etc!! hmmmm!! lol!!

I'm gonna end up looking like a penguin with this bean!! lol!!!

xox

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back