Hypnogogic reactions?

BabyBrain

Reaction score
Bertie keeps startling himself awake. His hands fly up and he gets a really frightened look on his face :(. I think he's having hypnogogic reactions....that weird dream where you fall or trip over. I know this is connected to rem sleep but not sure if I can stop it, all I can do at the moment is cuddle him and reassure him.

Does anyone else's LO startle awake and if so have you found a way to help them? xxxxxxxx

Yep, harry has always done this, no idea how to stop it though :(

Henry always did it in the first few weeks, it stopped when he started sleeping on his tummy x

Emily sometimes does this when she is drifting off to sleep, but less so now than in the early weeks.

As far as I'm aware it's one of those reflexes that all babies have (Moro reflex), so it's actually a ood sign that he's doing this, means his brain is functioning as it should. It passes after a few months.

Not sure if its too hot but u could try swaddling? Know that won't stop the dream but guess he might not flinch himself awake? I think they go naturally as the nervous system settles down. X

Last edited:
Yep max does it but haven't managed to stop it. Think its just a newborn reflew they will grow out of! Xxx

Riven has been doing this regularly since he was born, mostly when he is sleep, I did question it when we were in the hospital a few times and was told its quite normal :) so me being me I questioned someone else and was told the same xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back