Hypnobirthing

bobkat

Reaction score
OK, I have ordered Marie Mongan's book on Hypnobirthing today and can't wait for it to arrive. Never really heard of it till I came on here but what I have read about it online is really interesting.

Anyhoo, I noticed that there are some hypnobirthing ante natal classes near me. It's a series of 5 lessons, each lesson 2.5hours and in total it costs £250. Now, that to me is a lot of money so I was wondering if anyone out there had any views on whether I would be able to self teach enough from the book or whether some practical lessons would be good as well, especially as a first time mum. I was also thinking classes might be good for OH as I don't think I could get him to sit and read a book on childbirth techniques.

What do you reckon, would the classes be worth it or not?......

Thanks in advance

Hi! im in the same position really, the classes really are too much money at the moment.Ive bought the book and read it and found it fab, Im practising the relaxation techniques and it desribes the type of breathing to practise so you'll definately get something out of it. Im banging my head against a brick wall getting oH to read it too. Its so important he does though cos negative comment about labour really need to be avoided, even comments which are meant to be supportive, if theyre referring to pain etc.. then its not good.

If you think you can get your OH to read it with you or listen as you read certain sections to him to talk about I think you can get a lot out of the books.

Thanks Tiny,

Are you doing normal ante natal classes as well? If so are they giving you mixed messages about what to do at each stage?

If you can afford to I recommend you do them - they really helped getting my OH right on board and he read the book too. He said after just one class he felt much more prepared and he wasnt a first time Dad! :lol: You wont need any other parent craft or ante natal type classes either :)

Im going to my NHS ones but thats mostly so I can get the tour of the maternity services, Im set in my mind what I want, the book is very well written and clear so I do feel confident that I have made informed choices for myself. You get a lot of mixed messages everywhere it seems, from childcare to pregnancy, I cant seem to avoid it!

i had the classes and i think they were really good. ive had to listen to cd's while im a sleep and practice everyday with my birthing partner. we did sessions on fear release where we got rid of any fears we had etc and ive since been told by 2 mw's that they really notice a big change in me and with stress levels etc. i think its been a benefit not even just for the birth but for keeping my calm as i was getting myself worked up about money, having things ready, the birth, just in general new mum stuff. id have to say in my opinion the classes have been a god send. hopefully not too much longer and i'll know exactly how good they've been when i go into labour.

one thing i do thing is good with the classes is it really helps to get the breathing techniques right because i had someone to physically show me. although the down side was both me and my birthing partner felt like a bit of a wally to start of with. hopefully be worth it though. good luck with it, whether you go for the classes or not :) x

I would agree that the classes would be better if you can afford it. But if you really cant the book & CD can offer you something towards a calmer birth. I love listening to the relaxation track on the CD. If the only benefit is that I relax completely at least once per day I think thats a good thing.

Thanks all,

The book is in the post!! and looking at the courses in my area a space has just come available on a course starting at the end of June - it must be fate. Was thinking might use some of the £190 grant towards it. Will let you know what happens.

I agree with claire about the breathing techniques. I spent my HIP grant on the classes too bit as tiny said the book alone can stand you in great stead. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back