Hyperemesis...

Dinski

Reaction score
I just found out that my sister is pg. She is suffering from very extreme hyperemesis, vomiting 10-15 times per day. She is home on a drip after being hospitalised and intraveneously fed for 11 days. She has had hyperemesis with her two previously pgs which resulted in two healthy children. However, she says this time her hyperemesis is much worse as normally it would have calmed down by now (she is 11 weeks pg). She is getting potassium injections but I am just so worried about her as she is already painfully thin and not taking in anything except what she is given by the drip/intravenously. Has anyone suffered with this and if so, were they given any medications which really helped? Last time she took Zofran which helped a lot but it has not worked this time. She has tried practically everything to no avail. She is in Germany so there may be things here in the UK which the German health care system doesn't know about/use which might help her. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Try asking Sami, she suffered this in her first PG, she might be able to offer some advice.

I hope your sister starts feeling better soon.

Oh your poor sister, I can only sympathise with how ill she is feeling, I had Hyperemesis with my son Damien (thank goodness didn't get it this time). I didn't have it quite as extreme as your sister, but I was almost hospitalised as I wasn't alkways keeping down fluids, I lost a stone in a few weeks and was vomiting 4 or more times a day. It really is a horrid thing to deal with.

I didn't have medication, but the only thing I could eat was marmite on toast, well, I forced myself to eat it because of the folic acid (not that it always stayed down, but I had to try). If I wasn't vomiting, I was wretching and that's not fun either.

Can she keep anything at all down? Is she managing to keep minimal fluids down yet? Send her a big hug from me :hug: Oh, how far is your sister now and when did it let up with her other 2?

Hi Sami, thanks for replying! Unfortunately she can't keep anything down. She's literally throwing up stomach acids. She said even water makes her throw up. She is now about 11+2 and she has had a scan every week so she knows the baby is ok and growing normally. With her boys the hyperemesis let up by about 10 weeks, although she was also hospitalised during both those pregnancies. She is also 36 now so she's also worried about the age factor. Just hope she starts to feel better soon.

Dinski, sounds horrible let your poor sister know we are thinking of her!

I hope it lets up soon for her, mine let up about 10-12 weeks aswell.
Is she taking the meds IV or is she having them orally?

Is she taking the meds IV or is she having them orally?

Not sure. I know she is having a potassium injection. I think it would be IV as she is not keeping anything down long enough to go into her system orally.

I hope it wears off for her soon. I'm only too glad I didn't get it this time, can't beleive she has been so unlucky to get it al 3 times :(
Will yo let me know how she gets on? x

Thanks Sami. In fact she's been unlucky enough to have had severe hyperemesis with her miscarriages too :(

Oh poor sis, she's so brave to keep getting pg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back