How soon is too soon?

MrsR

Reaction score
To have a bath during labour? I know that water can slow labour down and I also know that I will want to get in the bath during labour but (as the title) how soon is too soon? Or should I just go for it when I feel like?

My MW asked me if i wanted to use the birthing pool the other day and i said i wasn't sure as ive heard it can slow labour down. She said it can if your in early labour or your labours not progressing but should be fine in active labour.
I had a bath when in labour with lacey but only sat in it for 5 mins as i felt really uneasy, i couldn't sit still so jumped back out again!

Thanks honey x i knew about the active labour thing x guess I'll have to wait until then!

Next stupid question-when do I know I'm in active labour? I swear you'd think I'd never had a baby before!

Do you know what... ive been thinking if this labour goes completly different i can see me pooping myself!
I think active labour is when your more than 4cm dilated and your contractions are coming every 2-3mins and lasting 45-60secs!
My labour with lacey started off as period pains that got worse very quickly, no one believed i was in labour but they went from period pains every 5-10 mins to very nippy pains every few mins within an hour!
This time, ive had the period pains but they haven't led to anything. I think ill be in labour but won't relise! lol

I've had loads of period pains since 37 weeks! A couple of times I thought it was early labour they were so bad! Wasn't though! Lol!

Thanks hon x

on my parent class the MW said to us to have a bath at home, she said when we come in to them (in active labour) if we want to give birth in the pool they will tell us when to get in the pool as if you dont time it right it can slow it down, but i understood it as if you have a bath too early when your in active labour it can slow down, not in early labour tho?!

Ooooh confusing x think I might just dive in when I feel I want to x

at my last midwife class thingy they said active labour is when your contractions are 2-3 minutes appart and last about a minute & so you cant talk through them n bend in the middle with pain,

id like to go for a water birth, and i think im gona jump in the bath at home, but i hate the bath normally but am getting excited about this one, yup i know im sad,lol

xxx

Thanks guys x

I was in the bath the other day with candles and lavender oil and I can just imagine how amazing it'd be to be able to labour in an atmosphere like that! x I can't wait either! x

i see it infront of me like that helen, all nice and calm and quiet.. i BET you tho, i will be screaming my head of for an epidural which means i would have to be sent to the hospital :doh:

I think they just tell us to have a abth to keep us at home lol and I think that active labour is anything after 4cm dilated xx

I think they just tell us to have a abth to keep us at home lol and I think that active labour is anything after 4cm dilated xx

I'm staying home anyway so all good by me!

haha good point lol I do think that the heat would relax you more but then again what about the heat pads from deep heat they would heat the back up like the hot water and shouldnt slow down labour, I so so so wanted a home birth this time Im jealous lol xx

It's more the atmosphere of the candles, lavender and water than the heat thing x

Aw hon it's a shame you can't have hb but as long as bubs is ok x x hugs x x

Are you gonna have candles for your homebirth Helen! I was thinking of taking some music with me but not sure if their let me play it!

Yeah I'm having candles (they'll need to be blown out and swapped for touch lamp lighting if I need entonox obviously but I was very sick off it last time)! You should be able to take music with you and they should let you use it x

I'm so looking forward to it! We've already got the veuve cliquot in the fridge for celebrating after!

oh they will let you play music so that its more relaxed and the way you want, music is a good way of relaxing I think and candles too, I always have candles on at night in the living room its nice and cosy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back