How often?

SAHF

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many people follow the guidelines on packaging re:number of feeds per 24 hours, and how many feed on demand with bottles?

I am combination feeding, more so formula ATM than breast due to production issues. Midwife suggested I stop trying to keep to x amount of time between feeds, but instead feed on demand. I queried whether this would be bad because I don't want to overfeed our little one, but she said because I initially only breastfed, her stomach would have naturally and at a slow and safe rate, expanded, opposed to babies which are bottle fed from birth and the stomach expanding quicker?

I'm just finding the mixed advice so confusing!

Im not sure about combi feeding because I FF however, my LO started at 4oz every 4hr then it went to 5oz every 4h which HV said was good, but after he got reflux it ended up 5oz every 3hr and each time HV says it was fine, but actually he had constipation trying to digest all of the milk.

Obv my LO had silent reflux but his pain caused him to overeat and he was taking in almost double the recomended amount. After a week of solid crying I took action and cut his feeds changed milk etc and we got there. Not every baby gets reflux or these things but in my experience Jackson eating more than the recomended amounts caused him to be bunged up.

Id perhaps if baby is hungry offer more perhaps an oz each time and see how you get on but if you notice LO taking in too much and if its causing any upset cut back.

Feeding is trial and error. Most times the babies dont even know if they want fed :p

xxxx

Last edited:
It's best to offer no more than 3oz at a time if you are trying to mimic natural feeding patterns and not overfeed.
More feeds but fewer ounces per bottle is the best way. This makes sure they are really hungry.
If baby downs 3oz then 2hrs later wants more milk and you give a further 2 or 3oz this is better for their stomach than giving 6oz in one go which has the potential to stretch their stomach.

I agree, when I sorted Jacksons feeding I ended up giving him an oz an hr, worked out fine.

xxxx

I tried BF when little one was born but she couldn't latch at all, i switched to combined feeding very quickly expressing my own milk, i wasn't producing enough milk and she couldn't latch.

I then switched onto Aptamil Stage1 I fed on demand and eventually figured her routine out and went with when she was hungry. It hit the point at 2 weeks old she was draining 4oz bottles every 2 hours so i had to switch to hungry baby milk with cool boiled water in between feeds to keep her stools soft as it has higher amounts of fiber in it.

She is now 19 weeks old and very happy on Aptamil hungry baby with on average 4 bottles a day

Wake Up 8am: 6oz bottle
Lunch 12am: 6oz bottle & if she wants food some fruit baby rice
Afternoon 3/4pm: 6oz
5/6pm Pureed Veg & Baby Rice if extra hungry.
Bedtime 7/8pm: 6oz

Usually she will sleep right through the night but i have a 00:00 bottle prepped incase.

I think each baby is completely different and it is figuring your little ones routine. I always go with how she is feeling.

When having a growth spurt she will have upto 6 bottles in 24hrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back