How much milk did your 5 week old take?

As the subject says......How much milk did your 5 week old take? And how often? I am a bit concened about the amount Damien drinks and the frequency that is increasing again.
As you may know, for a preemie he has brilliant weight gain and besides his relux he has usually fed well, but recently he is all over the place, but doesn't seem to be able to fit more than 4-5oz max at a time in his tummy without being very very sick. I'm really considering giving him a spoon of rice once a day to bulk it up a bit - HV is shite as says go with him.

Is he is behaving like a 5 week old again or a pain in the backside 11week old? :roll: :lol: Help me!! l

(oh and he has been on 4oz evey 4 hours since he was 5 weeks actual age - been a long time now since he has increased it)

And acually - what about your 11 week old's? What did they take and how often? I know I shouldn't compare but I don't know if I should treat him as a 5 week old or 11 week old :(

is he on a special milk for his stomach? Reece was on 5oz of milk at 5 weeks but his stomach never took it all and he would throw loads back up so. it was annoyin cos he could handle 4oz but that weren't enough for him. Even the hungry baby milk never made much difference. he never lost weight tho so i was told not to worry.

At around 11 weeks i put reece on cow & gate comfort. by then he was on 7oz and with that milk he could handle it all. :D

He gas infant Gaviscon in 'normal' formula ( currently Farley's).
Haven't had Damien weighed for near 2 weeks but last time he hadn't gained any. So hungry baby milk isn't much good then? I have been told it isn't by a couple of people but didn't know how true it was??? Guess it might depend on the baby?

This might sound like a dumb question, but how much does a newborn take? Damien was on charted feeds back then so I don't know how he hs increased compare to a newborn.

God I sound thick now :oops: :roll:

being on Formula from the beginning, I can tell you that Maheen started with 20ml on day 3 and 2 weeks later, she is taking between 90ml to 120ml, depending on how she feels (colic!!! :cry: )
We tried the formula for hungrier babies, and I won't try again!!!! Maheen was completely upset for a full day right after that. When I asked my HV about it, she said that the formulas for hungrier babies don't give more calories, but are harder/longer to digest, which does the trick for these babies, but for a colicky baby, it's not the best option...obviously!! :?

so, we are back on Cow and gate 1, green box. I have looked at the omneo comfort but haven't bought it, as they say changing milk can affect them again! :cry: not easy!!! Quite a dilemna for me, really!

hope Damien gets better with his feeds, soon!
Take care, Sami
Mel xx

melhoney said:
we are back on Cow and gate 1, green box. I have looked at the omneo comfort but haven't bought it, as they say changing milk can affect them again! :cry: not easy!!! Quite a dilemna for me

I've changed reece 3 times and each time he's got better. Changing to omneo comfort was the best thing i ever did. noticed a chance in reece imediately. I was recomended changing milk by my HV as she said changing between the same milk types is fine :D

Coby normaly has 5oz every 4 hours but since yesterday afternoon hes having 5oz every 3 hours

xx

Oh Thanks Hazel! might ask OH to go and buy a box then... Was Reece suffering from colic as well?

I really want to do the best for her, but as I said, when I changed to ame brand, but hungrier baby formula, Maheen reacted so badly!!! I don't want to face another day like we had! she was just so mad!

Mel xx

Damien is on his 5th milk now! First breast (expressed), then Aptimil, then SMA Gold, then WySoy (Soya) and now Farleys. He's never had a problem changing so far - can just send his poo a bit funny (hard or soft for a couple of motions).

Maybe it's just his reflux then? Have phoned HV to ask if he can still have Gaviscon with Omneo. Have heard it's good but we've not yet tried a reflux milk as HV says he is fine :x got moaned at for trying soya lol.

Layla - Coby sounds like he is doing well :)

Since last night Damien has decided it would be a great idea to drink 2oz every 2-3 hours! :shock: Little bugger. :lol:

Do you think it's the milk or just him? :?

When i have give Charlotte expressed milk, she usually takes about 80 -100mls which is about 2+1/2 to 3+1/2 ozs?? It doesnt seem very much but she seems happy with it. She is still only 7lb 4oz, but has gained well.
Its a tough one Sami, like you say do you go on his actual age or his prem age??
Im worried again now.....AM I STARVING HER??!!! :shock:

Believe me Hels, Charlotte would let you know if you were starving her lol

Rubie has always been all over the place with feeds. No set amount, no set time between feeds. Sometimes she will take 3oz, sometimes 7oz. Sometimes she will go 1.5 hours between feeds, sometimes 7 hours. At the moment I am making up 6 oz bottles because she has been draining 5oz ones, but she has only been taking 3 oz since yesterday, it's very frustrating becasue I either have to throw loads of milk away or make another feed straight after cos she is still hungry :?

We started a new routine today, 5oz's every 4 hours. We tried to feed Kai 5oz's a few weeks ago but he was being sick nearly every feed so we decided to stop. He was on 4oz's every 3 hours but we wanted to extend the feeds, easier to do now than later. Kai always has his milk and is always satisfied with what he has, we are very lucky in that way. But I fed him 20 minutes ago and 30 minutes before he was grumpy so I tried to keep him happy but it was tough.

Kai has his last feed around 1 in the week and 2 at weekends and we just let him sleep through but it isn't much as I am up between 5 and 6 in the morning to give him his next feed.

Phoebe was on about 4oz every 4 hrs when she was 5weeks old. And at 11weeks about 5oz every 3hrs.

I would judge Damo by an 11week old baby with reflux personally. He is about the same weight Phoebe was at 11 weeks and he does look less premmie now!!!

Tried Omneo - seemed happier but still threw up an oz after only taking 5oz - poor kid!

He sounds similar to Aimee, she has been on 4-5oz for weeks and alot of the time she will only take 3oz. It like she just can't fit any more in her belly and she starts choking. She is gaining weight but very slowly. She was 8 11 born and at 12 weeks she is 12 4. She is on SMA gold but not to sure if changing her milk will make a difference?

Hi all, glad everyone is well, seems strange not posting in third trimester.

Rebecca is now 4.5 weeks old, and was up until last week drinking 4oz of Aptimal every hour, and this was constant throughout the night. Now she has a cold, and is only taking 2 oz every hour.

I have noticed that she is being sick a lot more and wondered if I need to change her milk!

My H/V told me off for getting her Aptimal 2- "for hungrier babies, suitable from birth". She said that they use that to wean babies off milk at 6 mnths! Well I was only going by what it said on the container! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back