how much maternity leave?

nikkif

Reaction score
hello

i was just wondering how long you took or are planning to take on maternity leave? I am still unsure.... hope you don't mind me asking

xxx

well we're not pregnant yet but I plan to take 9 months maternity starting as late into the pregnancy as possible, and then go back as a part-time trainee (im currently doing admin for approved inspectors but want to train as an approved inspector) the trainign will be 3 years by which time I'll be able to work fulltime again.

Well thats the plan anyway lol

I'll be taking 6 weeks - although i will still do bits of work throughout that time.......I will return as part time but working from home..... but we run our own business so its not that easy to take the time off....will hopefully be worth it in the long run though.

If I worked for someone else I would take 6 months off :wink:

I'm taking 9 months starting at end of July :cheer:

xxxxxxx

I took nearly 5months maternity leave, followed by a months worth of leave, as I got 4months full pay and couldn't afford to be on SMP for more than 1 month.

i was supposed to be having a year but didnt go back lol just have to pay the money bk now :(

As soon as I find out I am pregnant, i plan to work all the way up to the birth, I have quite an easy job and its all computer related etc so it shouldnt pose too much of a problem.

I am going to stop any holidays i have booked and cancel them and build up all my holidays, so when i do decide to go on maternity leave il book all my holidays off first then after there finished then take my maternity leave...... (All the girls at work who are or have been pregnant do this where i work), so usually you get about 9 1/2 maybe even 10 1/2 months paid leave.

mary70 said:
i was supposed to be having a year but didnt go back lol just have to pay the money bk now :(

Do you have to pay the money back if you dont go back? Ive never heard about that before, are you sure? Jeez I hope not! :|

glitzyglamgirl said:
mary70 said:

Do you have to pay the money back if you dont go back? Ive never heard about that before, are you sure? Jeez I hope not! :|

No you dont!!! Heaps of women dont go back to work after maternity leave is finished.

Every woman who is pregnant is entitled to some form of maternity pay which is not re payable!

If i dont go back to work after maternity leave i have to pay them back.

Yes, they can pay you the same rate as statutory maternity pay if they wish to.

I think it is only the extra on top of the smp rate that you have to pay back.

No.............they cannot legally make you pay any money as when you was getting this money you was still employed by them and therefor fully entitled to it.........by them trying to get you to pay it back its like there saying that if they payed you full sick pay but after 3 weeks of being on the sick you decided to leave, you would have to pay the sick pay back..... I DON'T THINK SO LOL

if your still not sure try getting hold of ACAS they will tell you your rights

Its all written in my contract at work. If it wasnt right i dont think they would have put it in.

I dont mean you have to pay back the SMP just the stuff on top that they pay you, ie the 90% or full pay.

I'm leaving end June, taking a couple of weeks holiday and starting maternity leave 15th July. Then I hope to be off till end March 2008. It'll be a struggle financially for a few months but *fingers crossed* we'll be ok.

When I return to work I plan to make a request under the Flexible Working arrangement so I can work 3 days a week at work and one at home.

I think it's disgusting that some employers ask for maternity pay back if you leave. :shakehead:

Ladies just a quick question how long is the maternity leave for now as i know they were goig to change it is it still 26wks or not :?

for babies born after april 2007 its 6 weeks on full/90% pay and then 32 weeks or 34??? cant remember , addition leave at 109 pound or somethin. .... and you can have another three months unpaid. so you can have up to 52 weeks off but 9 months paid. as opposed to 6months that it was.

lisa

I don't think you really know how much time to take off until the baby is born.

So many people I know intended to only take 6 months but then it zooms by and ended up extending it to a year.

It depends on your financial status though I guess as to how flexible you can be.

I planned to take 9 months maternity leave, Isaac was born 5 weeks early so I had more holiday left over than planned so I'm phasing my return to work.

Yep, it's right that some people do have to pay their maternity leave pay back if they don't return to work. All companies have different policies. I know some people have to go back for a certain amount of time to avoid paying it back.

Just check your companies policy.

Something to factor in (which caught me by suprise) is the cost of returning to work if you are using nurseries. We had to pay 1 months fee's as a desposit in addition to paying the first month one month in advance of when Ellie started at nursery, this coupled with the fact I was only on SMP for that month and then you only get your pay in arrears but you need to pay the nursery in advance means it is very expensive just getting yourself in a position to return to work. Thankfully I had some shares from my employer from when we privatised which we were able to sell to fund the upfront nursery fee's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back