How much and when...?

munchkin1982

Reaction score
Just thought I would see how much your little ones ate/eat at 5months (if you have weaned from 4 months)

I'm fascinated by how much Layla can eat. All the books say to start on 1-2 teaspoons etc and gradually increase, but she eats far more than this.

I've started making purees/mashed veggies of my own which she loves - far more than the jars i was giving her. I started the homemade ones with a 1 type veg at a time, and now i'm starting to combine them for her.

To store them though, I've been using putting them in ice-cube trays, freezing them and then bagging them up in the freezer etc so that I just take out however many cubes I want of each thing every time... well, she's on 3 cubes at the moment but gives me the impression she would quite happily have more... I don't want to over feed her "food" though as I can see her milk intake is increasingly dropping at the moment and I need her to be getting all the good stuff from her milk mainly.

So I think really, I'd just like to have some sort of idea on what you give to your LOs, when you give it (in relation to before/during/after milk) and especially, how much they eat?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the long post - just hope i've made sense! ;-) xx

I make Oscar a tablespoon of cereal with 2oz milk each morning, but he rarely eats it all. Then in the late afternoon he has 1/2 jar of pureed veg, but again he never eats it all. I'm not feeding him full, just tasters as he'll be eating with us when he's 6 months.

He had a rusk yesterday and loved it and in minutes his hand/eye coordination was improving!

aaawww bless him... Layla trys pinching the spoon off me - little devil lol x

I make up her porridge with 2 dessert spoons worth and 3oz milk and she has the lot! She moans at me that I'm not feeding her quick enough in her own little way (apparently I don't get the food on the spoon and to her mouth quick enough!)

For lunch then, she has her veggies (as explained above) followed by either a fruity pudding (1/3 - 1/2 jar) or a Fromage Frais pot (all of it). At the moment, dinner is the same as lunch...

She loves it all :) xx

Yesterday and today he had carrot and potato... now everything is dyed orange lol...

He only had a couple of spoonfuls at tea time today coz he was more interersted in eating his bib today lol

My LO has always been a big eater, formula wise and since weaning food wise as well... we started weaning at 15 weeks, at 5 months LO was having a bowl of porridge made with 7 tablespoons of powder and about 4oz of milk mixed in (he enjoys it thick and not too runny), he was also having 1 whole stage one jar and for supper he was having a fruit pot. He is now 6 months and having about 10 tablespoons of porridge powder mixed with 4/5oz of milk and a fruit pot for breakfast, a jar of stage 2 food (blended because he doesnt like the lumps but i dont want them going to waste!) and for supper he is having more porridge and a fruit pot, usually id give him a stage one jar and fruit pot but he is teething and its putting him off his milk so i want to up his intake by mixing it with his porridge x

We were due date buddies munchkin (13th December)!!

I started weening Jovan at around 4 months as he wasn't gaining much weight (incidentally he has gained weight since). I introduced him to porridge at breakfast which seemed to go down very well. Now at 5 months he has 1 and a half rusks mixed with formula milk or approx 4 tablespoons of porridge with milk followed by a 6oz bottle at breakfast. For lunch I give him a jar of veg purée, sometimes he will only have half so I will give a fruit pot too. I have started to give him a meal at teatime too as he has started to refuse his bottle. So in a day he has 3 meals and 4 bottles if I'm lucky (at breakfast, 7pm bedtime, 11pm dream feed and a night feed). I'm finding he loves breakfast (as it's sweet!) but other meals can be a bit hit & miss for example one day he will gulp down veg medley and the next day he will spit it back out. I guess he's still getting used to flavours etc, can't put it down to anything else.

He has just had his first 2 teeth a couple of weeks ago too and since then only drinks his bottle to help him drift to sleep, he rarely drinks it whilst awake. Is it normal for teething babies to reject the bottle?

I offer him water at meal times but he pulls the most sour looking face - so funny! I've even tried water with a hint of strawberry from boots but he doesn't like that either. Has anyone else experienced this?

My LO has always been a big eater, formula wise and since weaning food wise as well... we started weaning at 15 weeks, at 5 months LO was having a bowl of porridge made with 7 tablespoons of powder and about 4oz of milk mixed in (he enjoys it thick and not too runny), he was also having 1 whole stage one jar and for supper he was having a fruit pot. He is now 6 months and having about 10 tablespoons of porridge powder mixed with 4/5oz of milk and a fruit pot for breakfast, a jar of stage 2 food (blended because he doesnt like the lumps but i dont want them going to waste!) and for supper he is having more porridge and a fruit pot, usually id give him a stage one jar and fruit pot but he is teething and its putting him off his milk so i want to up his intake by mixing it with his porridge x

Thanks hun... :) and wow, he loves his porridge huh? Layla does too ;-)

Do you think I am giving Layla too much??? I'll add her little food diary that i've been keeping for the last fortnight. See what you think? She has cut down on her milk - she was having 8-9oz bottles for a week but then as I was increasing more and more food etc she started being ill so we've cut the milk down a bit for her and she isn't being "sick" now... just normal positting now and again.

I totally understand the whole "going to waste" thing. That's why I like making up my own purees at the moment for her which she has been having the last 3 days. She loves them, more flavour for her too as I steam all the veggies, and I'm yet to have any wastage on that yet! :) xx

We were due date buddies munchkin (13th December)!!

I started weening Jovan at around 4 months as he wasn't gaining much weight (incidentally he has gained weight since). I introduced him to porridge at breakfast which seemed to go down very well. Now at 5 months he has 1 and a half rusks mixed with formula milk or approx 4 tablespoons of porridge with milk followed by a 6oz bottle at breakfast. For lunch I give him a jar of veg purée, sometimes he will only have half so I will give a fruit pot too. I have started to give him a meal at teatime too as he has started to refuse his bottle. So in a day he has 3 meals and 4 bottles if I'm lucky (at breakfast, 7pm bedtime, 11pm dream feed and a night feed). I'm finding he loves breakfast (as it's sweet!) but other meals can be a bit hit & miss for example one day he will gulp down veg medley and the next day he will spit it back out. I guess he's still getting used to flavours etc, can't put it down to anything else.

He has just had his first 2 teeth a couple of weeks ago too and since then only drinks his bottle to help him drift to sleep, he rarely drinks it whilst awake. Is it normal for teething babies to reject the bottle?

I offer him water at meal times but he pulls the most sour looking face - so funny! I've even tried water with a hint of strawberry from boots but he doesn't like that either. Has anyone else experienced this?

SKR_Derby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you hun? Ah yes! Due date buddies lol... my angel kept me waiting til Xmas Eve lol ;-) x

I've attached Layla's food diary for the last 2 weeks... let me know what you think?

I am so lucky with Layla as she sleeps right through the night for me. She goes down anytime between 7-8pm and doesn't get up til 7-8am! It took us a little while to get to this point though but now that we have, I'm loving it!

Teething! That is a nightmare too! Layla suffers with it really bad at times but the poor mite still hasn't had any make a "show" yet. You can see they just wanna "burst through" lol but nothing... :-(

As for water... Layla turns her nose up at it too! Lol, I think we must just keep on trying it until they will eventually take more...

Hope all is well with you hun :) xx

Last edited:
Breakfast Lunch Tea/Dinner
Mon 23rd May Breast feed Creamy Porridge with 2oz milk 6oz Milk n/a 7oz Milk Vegetable Medley 1/3rd Jar 7oz Milk
Tues 24th May Breast feed Creamy Porridge with 2oz milk 6oz Milk n/a 6oz Milk n/a 6oz Milk
Weds 25th May 8oz Milk Creamy Porridge with 2oz milk 6oz Milk n/a 6oz Milk Creamy Parsnip + Potato 1/3 jar, Pear + Apple Pudding 1/2 6oz Milk
Thurs 26th May 8oz Milk Creamy Porridge with 2oz milk 6oz Milk Creamy Parsnip + Potato 1/3 jar, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Apricot - all 6oz Milk Creamy Parsnip + Potato 1/3 jar 6oz Milk
Fri 27th May 8oz Milk Creamy Porridge with 2oz milk, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Strawberry - all 6oz Milk Carrot & Potato 1/3 jar 6oz Milk Carrot & Potato 1/3 jar, Pear & Apple Pudding 1/2 jar 6oz Milk
Sat 28th May 8oz Milk Porridge with Strawberry & Banana Flavour with 3oz milk, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Raspberry - all 6oz Milk Carrot & Potato 1/3 jar, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Apricot 6oz Milk Swede - x 2 cubes 6oz Milk
Sun 29th May 8oz Milk Porridge with Strawberry & Banana Flavour with 3oz milk 6oz Milk Swede - x 2 cubes, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Raspberry 6oz Milk Swede - x 2 cubes, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Raspberry 7oz Milk

Mon 30th May 8oz Milk Porridge with Strawberry & Banana Flavour with 3oz milk 6oz Milk Potato - x 3 cubes, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Strawberry 6oz Milk Potato - x 3 cubes 7oz Milk
Tues 31st May 8oz Milk Porridge with Strawberry & Banana Flavour with 3oz milk 6oz Milk Carrot - x 3 cubes 6oz Milk Carrot - x 3 cubes, Tesco Value Fromage Frais Apricot 7oz Milk
Weds 1st June 8oz Milk Porridge with Strawberry & Banana Flavour with 3oz milk 5oz Milk Swede, Parsnip & Potato - 3 cubes (1 of each), Mango Suprise 1/2 jar 6oz Milk Swede, Parsnip & Potato - 3 cubes (1 of each), Mango Suprise 1/2 jar 6oz Milk
Thurs 2nd June 8oz Milk Porridge with Strawberry & Banana Flavour with 2oz milk 6oz Milk Potato & Parsnip (3+2 cubes) 6oz Milk Potato & Parsnip (3+2 cubes), Apple & Cookie Crumble 1/2 jar 7oz Milk

Ok - really sorry... won't let me attach the excel file :-( however I've copied and pasted it here so I really hope you can make sense of it? She starts the day with a milk feed... then brekkie, another milk, lunch, another milk, tea/dinner and then bedtime milk... xx

Last edited:
My LO has a 7oz bot in morning, followed by porridge or cereal, then a fruit based meal with 5oz milk at dinner, veg based meal at tea with 5oz bottle and an 8oz bottle in evening xx

Can u give then just the tesco framaige frais? That would be great! X

Madison ate loads and within like a week she was on 3 meals a day! i did by the annabel karmel freezer tray (glorified ice cube tray slightly bigger) but wasnt big enough so i bought the tommee tippee tubs also not big enough, haha so i bought in the baby section in asda 4 bowls and lids for £1 and they were fab size and obv cud heat food in them too!!

xxx

No hun... not just the fromage frais... I just use that as a pudding for her more than anything.

I was having trouble the other week with her getting a rash from fruit based puddings and fromage frais but the tesco value ones were the only ones that didn't give her a rash :) xx

Madison ate loads and within like a week she was on 3 meals a day! i did by the annabel karmel freezer tray (glorified ice cube tray slightly bigger) but wasnt big enough so i bought the tommee tippee tubs also not big enough, haha so i bought in the baby section in asda 4 bowls and lids for £1 and they were fab size and obv cud heat food in them too!!

xxx

wow... I love to see babies/children enjoy their food :) Still amazed at how much Layla can put away at the moment ;-) x

No hun... not just the fromage frais... I just use that as a pudding for her more than anything.

I was having trouble the other week with her getting a rash from fruit based puddings and fromage frais but the tesco value ones were the only ones that didn't give her a rash :) xx

Thanks hun! Haha sorry I didn't mean on their own it's just I've been buying the little stars ones etc just because they say suitable from 6 months xx

Thanks hun! Haha sorry I didn't mean on their own it's just I've been buying the little stars ones etc just because they say suitable from 6 months xx

try him on them hun and if he likes them then you are onto a winner! less sugar in them AND 44p for pack of 6!!!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back