How long do...

xJodieLoux

Reaction score
cots last for? I have been thinking about getting a cot rather than a cotbed, but I was just wondering roughly how long babies fit in a cot for?

Lydia was in hers until 22 months and then we moved her into a toddler bed, but size-wise she could easily have still fit in there a while longer - probably she still could. I think until 3 or something.

But I doubt very much you'd have your child in there until 3 anyway, simply because they grow out of being a baby and you'll want to get them into a proper bed.

I moved Aimee out of her cot when she was about 25 months. There was still plenty of room she was just ready. She has gone straight into a full size bed with a guard side on.

I think cots are dangerous once they can stand up and start to want to climb out. I know a girl whose dd broke her arm falling out of her cot. I thought most people put their babies in a bed, or they convert their cotbed to a bed, when they are about one. Thats when it is safe for them to have a pillow. Isaac has been in his cotbed bed since he was one and he has the guard on the side so he won't roll out.

lou said:
I think cots are dangerous once they can stand up and start to want to climb out. I know a girl whose dd broke her arm falling out of her cot. I thought most people put their babies in a bed, or they convert their cotbed to a bed, when they are about one. Thats when it is safe for them to have a pillow. Isaac has been in his cotbed bed since he was one and he has the guard on the side so he won't roll out.
Lydia never ever tried to climb out of her cot. She stood up of course, but never tried to climb out. I guess some kids just don't.

Most children are out of them by 2-2.5 usually. After this they can learn to climb over the sides and out anyways I've found.

I personally like cotbeds as it means you don't have to transfer LO into a full size bed till much later (around 5 YO). Saves on laundry etc. And when its down to toilet training and no nappies at night, having less to wash is a bonus.

I always think toddlers look so swamped in a normal sized bed. Some love them, others not so much.

So if you get the right cotbed, it can last your child till 5 years old or so then. If you have a second child then of course you may well want to move older one into a normal bed and use the cot over for baby. But if not, why not stay child sized till LO is a bit older and grown taller :D

Erm maybe I didn't help much here :think: :oops:

I don't know - the cotbed that we have inherited lasted my cousin's daughter till she was 4 when she got a big girl's bed rather than growing out of it.

Mine were in a cot till they were 18 months then had to put them in a bed because they kept climbing out of it

Isaac's still in his cot but he only sleeps in it, he's not ever in it awake for more than a few minutes as he just rolls over and goes a bit mad :shock: I would move him into a bed if he had his own room, but that would depend on safety because if your LO can crawl/walk and you put them in a bed they can get out their room and there's dangers like bathrooms/stairs etc. It's personal choice, but generally LO's are in a cot for at least 1yr :hug:

Mine were in cots until about 18 months - 2 years! Then they had little junior beds (my lads had car beds they were so cute!:D)

My cousin was walking by 8 months and climbing out of his cot by 14 months I kid you not!! :shock:
My aunt told the health visitor as she didnt know what to do, she told her the safest thing to do was stop using the cot and take off the baby gates!! :shock: :shock: It was a scary time in their house! lol Can you imagine that!?

I wish we had bought a cot then a single bed because cot bed bedding can be expensive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back