how long do they let you go overdue??? updated after mw appt

Tick-Tock

Reaction score
I am going back to Jersey for a wedding on the 1st August and trying to book my flights now. Obviously LO will be coming with us but I was just working out dates... we are planning on flying out on the 30th August so if LO is born on my due date (yeah right) then he/she will be 4weeks 2days old. However if I go over by 2 weeks then he/she will be 2 weeks 2 days....

They won't let you fly with a baby that is under 2 weeks so my worry is if I go over 14 days overdue then we can't go... I'll miss my best friends wedding and lose nearly £200....

So basically will they let me go over 14 days overdue?????

Thanks (sorry it was a long post for such a quick question)

J
XX

I think they always induce by 40+2 but you need to consider that you MAY have a 3 day labour (SORRY!)

I'm sure everything will be fine though :hug: :hug: :hug:

I've heard of people going 14 days overdue before. I think it varies depending on the health authority.
I would ask your midwife what the policy is in your area

42 weeks seems to be considered the maximum that a woman can safely go overdue. But from what I recall reading most women seem to be induced before they reach the full 42 weeks.

Most HA's will book you in for an induction with at least a few days notice, but I've seen many women on here have them booked a week or even ten days in advance and therefore before the 42 weeks was actually up. Of course, if LO appears before they are induced, so much the better :)

Ask your MW what the policy is at your hospital

I was allowed to go 14 days over before I was induced (by which point I was pulling my hair out!) but I think as Muppetmummy and Sherlock said it may vary by health authority.

yep depends on the health authority and the doctor dealing with you - also when the 14 days falls - ie if 14 days post dates is a saturday they are more likely to book you in for the thrusday as staff levels tend to be lower at weekends. It is an inexact science - a normal pregnancy is 38-42 weeks and inducing before the body is ready is more likely to lead to failure and a caesarian but leaving the baby too long can be risky too so it is weighing up all these points which will be different in every pregnancy.

It is also worth mentioning the wedding when it comes to booking your postdates appointment - I know when I was working we took things into consideration wherever possible and booking you for induction a couple of days earlier than planned may be better for the staff anyway - you dont know if you dont ask :)

In my area they induce us at 10 days over. Though as that falls on a Sunday for me, I would be 11 days over.

laracomps said:
In my area they induce us at 10 days over. Though as that falls on a Sunday for me, I would be 11 days over.

It doesnt matter on the day hun, they induce any day of the week :)

Here they induce normally at around T+12

happy_chick said:
laracomps said:

Same here T+12 :)

I htink it depends on whether you want an induction or not, i know someone who's jsut had a baby and she was determined not to be induced so kept refusing, think she got to 3 weeks over, they monitored her closely throughout though. She ended up with a C-section :?
I'm pretty sure if you start moaning ealry on about being uncomfortable they'll get you booked in soon after term for induction.

happy_chick said:
laracomps said:

It does here apparantly! She already booked me in for +11. Crazy I know. I think its cos they shut the DAU on Sundays, which is where they start you off.

Hi Tick Tock,

When I had Daisy I was booked for an induction at 12 days overdue but they sent me home due to lack of available staff, and I went into labour on my own that night. Daisy was born 15 days over!!! As others have said, it depends on where you are and what your circumstances are.

laracomps said:
happy_chick said:
laracomps said:

It does here apparantly! She already booked me in for +11. Crazy I know. I think its cos they shut the DAU on Sundays, which is where they start you off.

Ahh they dont here :) its funny how they do things differently all over aint it

Saw my midwife yesterday and she said that if I go overdue she will book me in sooner rather than later so that the whole flight thing is not a problem.... I thought she may be like "it's coming when its coming and you can't try to plan it around your life..." but she wasn't.....

I sort of knew it before, but now I know for definite I have the best midwife!!!!

J
XX

:hug: glad you have a nice MW!

You'll be able to show your baby off at the wedding! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member