How long do empty bottles stay sterile?

BBaby

Reaction score
I'm bf, but giving one bottle of expressed milk each day (so my oh can feed her too)
Once bottles have been sterilised, sealed and teats covered how long do they stay sterile for?

At the minute im basically sterilising 1 bottle a day which seems a waste.

Thanks

I would say 12 hours, that's how long I leave mine for

Didnt want to read and run.

I dont know the answer but i think this is an amazing idea. I was thinking just the other day that i will be doing all the feeding and my partner wont be able to feed baby until they are on solids.

I think i may do the same as you and give them one bottle of expressed milk every day so my partner can experience feeding baby. Nice little bonding time for him too =D. Thank you for the idea =)

You don't need to sterilize anything that breastmill has come into contact with, it doesnt make any difference as bm doesn't breed bacteria. Only bottles/teats that have had formula in them need sterilizing.

Just hot soapy water is fine x

You don't need to sterilize anything that breastmill has come into contact with, it doesnt make any difference as bm doesn't breed bacteria. Only bottles/teats that have had formula in them need sterilizing.

Just hot soapy water is fine x

Words can't describe..... BM out of the boob, expressed milk comes in contact with the skin which naturally contain bacteria. Just because it's different doesn't mean it doesn't go off or doesn't grow bacteria!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2456737 (just an example)

Sterilising bottles is outdated anyway but each their own preference. I stopped doing it after a couple of weeks when I swapped bottles I stopped all together, I use ready milks. It's more important to check if there is no residue around the edges and in the teat edges. Any milk stains like a baddun so it's worth looking for that when scrubbing them out.

I'm just giving information that my hv & other ladies have told me. Theres no need to be so rude!

I'm not being rude I'm being straight to the point.

Health visitors don't really tend to say much with their own experience more what is given them on a printed piece of paper. You'd have to look at it in the way that how long can you store any raw milk, what type of milk is formula then the difference with a ready milk that comes with a preservative in some way or shape like long life milk it doesn't matter how you store long life really once it's opened it goes off in x days. Pasteurized milk what is in the fridge starts going off after x couple of days but unlike long life can not be stored outside of the fridge because it will decrease it's life. Same goes with raw milk.

"pasteurization
definitions
partial sterilization of foods at a temperature that destroys harmful micro-organisms without major changes in the chemistry of the food"

Instead of feeling offended why not appreciate that I take my time to try and corroborate why I'm giving advice.

I'm bf, but giving one bottle of expressed milk each day (so my oh can feed her too)
Once bottles have been sterilised, sealed and teats covered how long do they stay sterile for?

At the minute im basically sterilising 1 bottle a day which seems a waste.

Thanks

I would like to do this too- how soon did you introduce your baby to a bottle? Don't want to do it too early incase she stops breastfeeding :)

I introduced a bottle of breast milk at 2 weeks as I was shattered and on the verge of stopping BFeeding. We haven't had any problems with nipple confusion and our LO will happily feed from bottle or boob. I can see why some people do have difficulties though as a bottle is instant whilst baby has to work to get breast milk. We now combination feed and my son has 2 bottles of formula a day, bottled breast milk and milk from the boob and he's happy with it all!

Last edited:
I expressed & gave bottles from day 1, Harrison had no problem switching between boob & bottle & back again even during the same feed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back