• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How long did baby stay in your room?

jodied

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Just debating when we should put Ella into her own room?
I know the official guidance is 6 months but that is just not realistic in my opinion!
For starters she will definitely have outgrown her moses basket long before then. I was thinking that might be when we make the move - when she is starting to grow out of it, but wondered when you lovely ladies moved your little ones? Do you think it makes any difference that she was premature? That makes me think I should keep her in with us longer.
Thanks in advance
Jodie xx

our lo will be in with us for the next 2 years!! :O (we're planning on moving back to italy when he is two!) we only have a one bed apartment and renting a 2bed here in london is just too expensive & not an option for us right now!. we have quite a big room and im planning on getting one of those screen things to section part of the room off just for him!! so i guess he will have his own little "room" if you like....

im quite happy that he is in with us as he always comes in our bed about 6am for co-sleeping which i really like & it makes me more relaxed knowing he is right there!

Isla was 5 weeks old! Best thing we did as she sleeps really well on her own and she's really noisy. I used to wake up at the slightest sound

Emma x

Thanks Emma - Ella is also really noisy so I'm pretty sure I will get more sleep when she's not in here! I just don't want to do it too early and be a bad mum if she should be in with us for a bit longer?! x

Isla was 5 weeks old! Best thing we did as she sleeps really well on her own and she's really noisy. I used to wake up at the slightest sound

Emma x

Exactly the same here -5 weeks- ella started sleeping through the night just a couple of weeks later. X

Bells and zander were 9 months but we moved Chloe at just 7 months x

Gosh some real extremes then - guess it really depends on your baby!

Annie - if it worked for your Ella Sophia then perhaps it will work for mine!!:)

Evie - I'm guessing you must have had cribs/cots in your room then?

Annie - if it worked for your Ella Sophia then perhaps it will work for mine!!:)

Hopefully! ;)

I think the key is to try baby in their own room, see how it goes and if baby is not ready try them a few days later- and so on. We put Ella in her own room on what would have been her due date when she was 1 month old and I wasn't relaxed and she wasn't ready but a week later she was fine and settled well. I also have Lanny to thank for her tip of stopping night feeds and popping the dummy in instead meaning that she was sleeping through by 8 weeks. Still love you soooooo much for that Lanny!! Xx

Hopefully! ;)

I think the key is to try baby in their own room, see how it goes and if baby is not ready try them a few days later- and so on. We put Ella in her own room on what would have been her due date when she was 1 month old and I wasn't relaxed and she wasn't ready but a week later she was fine and settled well. I also have Lanny to thank for her tip of stopping night feeds and popping the dummy in instead meaning that she was sleeping through by 8 weeks. Still love you soooooo much for that Lanny!! Xx

Thanks that sounds sensible! So was your Ella exactly 1 month early as well?! How funny is that. My Ella won't take a dummy though so not sure that tip will work for us x

She was born at 36+2

Ella wouldn't take a dummy either because all the dummys these days are silly shapes! I bought the good old retro shaped cherry teat dummys and she LOVEs it -total revelation for us.

She was born at 36+2

Ella wouldn't take a dummy either because all the dummys these days are silly shapes! I bought the good old retro shaped cherry teat dummys and she LOVEs it -total revelation for us.

We were 35+5 so pretty close. We just have the funny shaped dummies - tommee tippee etc so maybe will get a cherry shaped one then! x

She was born at 36+2

We were 35+5 so pretty close. We just have the funny shaped dummies - tommee tippee etc so maybe will get a cherry shaped one then! x

We were 35+5 by my dates but the hospital dated us at 36+2.

The ones we have are tommee tippee cherry dummies- you can get them from mothercare, boots and most supermarkets I think.

Lacey was 3 months when she went in her own room. I was hoping charley could share with lace early on but he was a nightmare sleeper so he's still in with us. We're hopefully moving today though so at 7 months he'll finally be in his own room x.

We still co-sleep with Oscar, buuuuut he's going into his cot this weekend. We've put the cot in our room and have put him in there to chill sometimes, and he has had a nap in there, but not a night sleep. He's going in on Friday, I'm sure he'll come back in with us when I do his night feed though (just because easier for me breastfeeding), then hopefully at 6 months he'll be in his own room.

Just thinking about it I miss him already lol

George went in his own room at 7 weeks with no problems, he was rapidly growing out of his moses basket and started sleeping better in his own room, not disturbed by me moving about - also meant that I started putting him to bed earlier which helped. I did invest in an angel care motion detector though just for peace of mind as he was so young compared to the 6 month advice.

I waited as long as possible - until she outgrew her moses basket as the cotbed wouldn't fit in our bedroom, however Ella-Rose is on the smaller end of the scale and so this wasn't until she reached about 6 months. I hated it and it took her a while to settle but she is fine now.

Hey Jodie,
We put LO in his own room when he was around five weeks old. He was such a noisy sleeper i had to, just to get some sleep in between feeds. He was still in his mosses basket but in his own room. He is in his cot now. Hes 15 weeks old, and has been in the cot for around four weeks. He was seven weeks premature xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone!

We actually ended up having Ella in her room last night! It wasn't really planned but we put her in her Moses basket in her room after her bath and after a bit of winding she fell asleep there at 8.30pm. She was still fast asleep at 11pm when her next feed was due so much to our surprise we managed to dream feed her a bottle of expressed breast milk and it seemed silly to then disturb her and move her back to our room so we just left her in her own room! I put the monitor right next to me so can hear just as well as if she was in with us. So was all going fab and we hoped she would stick to four hour feeding and feed at 3am then 7am. No such luck! She fed at 2.15am and then 4.30am. We did however manage to keep her in her Moses basket until about 5.30am which is an improvement on other nights!

Now we need to keep up the sleeping in her Moses basket rather than on us and try to get back to four hourly feeds!

Not gone quite so smoothly tonight and have only just managed to get her down! We will get there though, and I definitely think she sleeps better on her own in the nursery which is much darker as we have a blind in there.

Planning to buy a movement sensor for her cot when she goes in that - anyone recommend/have views on the best one? Was looking at either the tt one or the angel care one.

Sorry for long post!!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

We actually ended up having Ella in her room last night! It wasn't really planned but we put her in her Moses basket in her room after her bath and after a bit of winding she fell asleep there at 8.30pm. She was still fast asleep at 11pm when her next feed was due so much to our surprise we managed to dream feed her a bottle of expressed breast milk and it seemed silly to then disturb her and move her back to our room so we just left her in her own room! I put the monitor right next to me so can hear just as well as if she was in with us. So was all going fab and we hoped she would stick to four hour feeding and feed at 3am then 7am. No such luck! She fed at 2.15am and then 4.30am. We did however manage to keep her in her Moses basket until about 5.30am which is an improvement on other nights!

Now we need to keep up the sleeping in her Moses basket rather than on us and try to get back to four hourly feeds!

Not gone quite so smoothly tonight and have only just managed to get her down! We will get there though, and I definitely think she sleeps better on her own in the nursery which is much darker as we have a blind in there.

Planning to buy a movement sensor for her cot when she goes in that - anyone recommend/have views on the best one? Was looking at either the tt one or the angel care one.

Sorry for long post!!

That sounds great- good progress! We have the angelcare monitor as was recommended to us in scbu and it has been amazing. It helps us to leave ella alone instead of going in every so often to check she is still breathing -as I know I would!

J has been in with us for the last 10 months and i imagine he will be in with us for another 10 at least! Will have to see how being heavily pregnant fits in with having a toddler in the bed but if it all goes well (fingers crossed) he will stay with us for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back