How long can you use a crib for?

kalia

Reaction score
We want to have LO in our room when he or she is born, with the cot right beside our bed and the side down, but we don't have much space. We were going to move out our bedside tables out of the room but it would still be a struggle to get out of bed as we'd have to get round the cot.

We were wondering if a crib would be a good option or not. Obviously we would need a cot or cotbed for LO to move into when he or she moves to their own room but we don't mind buying a crib too as long as we will get the use of it. They say they are suitable up to 6 months but you have to stop using them once LO can sit up unaided. So in your experience, how long would we be able to use one for? LO may be quite tall as I am 5'8" and OH is 6'3".

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I don't know how much longer a crib is than a moses basket but Finn is 3 months now and has outgrown his moses basket. Like you, we don't have much room in our bedroom so last night he had to go into his own room into his cot.

Moses basket they tend to outgrow by 3 months, as they just are not that big to begin with.

Cribs are ok to 6 months, but tbh, if your LO learns to sit up a bit earlier, you'd need to change to a cot asap. They have enough room to cope with a LO to 6 months, although they are far more narrow than a cot of course. IIRC unlike a cot, you cannot drop the sides on cribs anyways, as they are much shallower sides to begin with. LO isn't really safe once they can sit upright and move around.

I personally am skipping basket or crib and just going with a cot. Space wise I think you could try the cot and see how it fits etc, and see if you could live with it.

My mum lent me a rocking crib because Austin outgrew his moses basket at 12 weeks and I wasn't ready to put him in his own room.He was in it for about a month in the end, I found that we would disturb him at night & vice versa, so he went in the cot at just under 4 months. The first night was hard but it was a bit of a relief too.

I personally wouldn't buy one new for the sake of a month or two, but maybe see if you can borrow one, or pick one up second hand?

Thanks for your help :D

It sounds like we would get 3 or 4 months out of it so we've decided to get one. Toys R Us do one that looks nice and is £60 including mattress. I think it will seem like money well spent as it means OH and I will be able to get out of bed easily rather than struggling to the end to get out :D

We have a cotbed, but Dan still sleeps in his crib near our bed. But he will have to go in a cotbed, cos he bangs his hands now.

Seren was about 7 months when she went into her cot, but she was sitting unaided from 51/2 months so she was in her crib till then. After that she was in bed with me. I got mine for £35 (not including mattress) from kiddicare.com (as advertised above lol). I loved it, and I think its well worth the money esp if you are going to have other children.

Both of mine were in a crib for about 6 months, I would personally never get a moses basket as they just seem tiny compared to a crib.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back