How long after drinking can i breastfeed?

poochielove

Reaction score
I am (hopefully) going out on saturday...as long as Teddy stops feeding every half an hour. I am planning to go out about 9pm and come home abour 2am. Now obviously i will be drinking and would like to get drunk and let my hair down. Now i will probly realistically have 4/5 glasses of white wine and lemonade (with glasses of water in between). How long will it be until i can feed him again? Ovbiously i am not planning to do it till i am completely sober but i just wondered how alcohol and breastfeeding works, do i pump it out after i have got home to get rid of the alcohol? Cant find a great deal of info on it. Thanks :hug:

You don't need to pump because it's flushed out in your system by itself if that makes sense. It doesn't stay in your breastmilk, but it peaks in your breastmilk about 2 and a half hours after you drink it, that's what I understood from it anyway. Pumping and dumping doesn't speed up it's elimination from the milk.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html may have useful info. I used to go out and drink 3 glasses of wine and just feed Isaac the next morning and it was fine. I just had to express at the time that I normally fed isaac which was about 10pm, but if you need to do it when you get home that's fine also, just so you don't get too sore and engorged in the morning. I never needed to express lots, just enough so I wasn't sore in the morning. HTH and enjoy!

I can't be of any help, but just remembered DH overheard the following the other day.

"Yeah, he sleeps til 6am, so I go about until 4am, come home slaughtered and feed him when he wakes up".

Sorry for the threadjack!

Oh and be prepared to express in the toilets of the pub/club! My friend had to do this as she was really sore after a night out once! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back