How effective is EBF as a contraceptive?

Lactational amenorrhoea method (LAM)

Women don't have periods while they're breastfeeding (this is known as lactational amenorrhoea). Therefore breastfeeding can be used as a form of contraception. This is known as the lactational amenorrhoea method.
The fertility signals used in natural family planning methods are not reliable in women who are breastfeeding.
Women who are fully (or nearly fully) breastfeeding can use the lactational amenorrhoea method for the first six months as long as:
the woman has complete amenorrhoea (no periods at all)
she's fully or very nearly fully breastfeeding
the baby is less than six months old
When used correctly and consistently, one in 200 women who use LAM will get pregnant in the first six months. However, take care to use the method correctly. Don't feed your baby other foods because this may reduce your lactation.

LAM becomes unreliable:
when other foods or liquids are substituted for breast milk
after the baby is six months old
After having a baby, it's possible to get pregnant before your periods start again because you ovulate (release an egg) around two weeks before your period. For more information on breastfeeding, LAM and other reliable methods of contraception, talk to your health visitor, midwife or doctor.

Directly from the NHS website.
EBF can work well as a contraception as long as you follow the rules.
Like any form of contraception, it's not 100%. Nothing is 100% other than abstaining x

Well said cos! Theres always someone it failed for - but I think to cos most people don't realise there are so many rules to it - I didn't.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

It's like the natural method. Takes research and you have to learn the do's and dont's but that can work well also x

I bf dd2 for 14months and for first 6months she was ebf and bf on demand. i swear ive never came accross a child that fed as much as her. and i still got my periods so not everyone that ebf and bfs on demand doesnt get periods.

also if you dont want another i wouldnt rely on bfing, period or not.

As has already been said, there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. As with ALL contraception, it will not work for some.
If followed correctly EBF can be as effective as taking the pill. That has been statistically proven. However, nothing is 100% and the rules must be followed stringently x

Interesting that info. It backs up with my experience spot on.

I might be more tempted to rely on it after another child now, until the baby is weaned that is. Having monitored my natural cycle to prevent a pregnancy for a long long time, I'm sure I became fertile not long after the baby was weaned.

My issue personally, was that the doctor told me, without caveats, I was covered until I got my period back which is categorically untrue.

also if you dont want another i wouldnt rely on bfing, period or not.

excuse me if this sounds rude, but you might as well substiute 'bfing' for "any contraception" there - if you dont want another dont have sex!

No contraception is completely effective, so I personally wouldnt reky on EBF xx

My fat fingers can't spell! x

Hey ladies I exclusively bf my first and fed on demand day and night. She never went more than prob about 3 hrs without a feed. I fell pregnant with our second when she was about 4 months. Still hadn't started my periods. We weren't relying on it as a contraception so we're please to have conceived although we're a little surprised. It's hard work having babies so close (well I found it hard work but obviously worth it ) so if u don't want them close the mini pill for me was really effective. Stayed on it until we planned on this little bub. I will definitely go back on it straight after having this one. We left a big gap so it isn't hopefully quite such a blur. Xxx

Around 1 in 200 using EBF as contraception will get pregnant, it does happen. But numerous people get pregnant using condoms/the pill/the coil - basically every type of contraception. The only way to avoid pregnancy 100% is celibacy! x

Interesting that info. It backs up with my experience spot on.

I might be more tempted to rely on it after another child now, until the baby is weaned that is. Having monitored my natural cycle to prevent a pregnancy for a long long time, I'm sure I became fertile not long after the baby was weaned.

My issue personally, was that the doctor told me, without caveats, I was covered until I got my period back which is categorically untrue.

Same here my period came back at 6 months on the dot about 2/ 3 weeks after started weaning. For me having a newborn that fed every 2 hours day and night was all the contraception i needed lol.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust it. I have a friend who has two boys who are 10 months apart.

We will be using condoms when I feel up to it until my hubby gets the snip in a couple of months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back