how early is too early?

l_maclean

Reaction score
to go back to work??? - this might take a bit of explaining

At the moment I work as a relief carer - but ive been trying to find office type work - basically so i dont need to work shifts, as DH can be away on oil rigs with work, or working long hours.

The admin in the care home i work in is 65 in dec, and looking at retirement, and my manager has spoken about me taking over from her - i do a fair bit of IT stuff at work, that doesnt really fall into the admin role.

However, Marja - the admin, is looking at putting her house on the market to move away in January, so it would be prob be a few months before she leaves - but even like April is WAY WAY sooner than i ever intended to return to work.

but its a 15 hour post, a great place to work, present hours are 9-2 mon, wed and fri - but this is prob flexible, and good benefits, so i dont feel like i can turn the job down cos its "the wrong time"

my boss knows my due date, so im assuming is expecting us to be able to work something out.

I have a meeting with the boss tomorrow, and im just wondering at what point it becomes realistic to go back to work. I've heard people doing it at 6weeks, but that seems crazy.

xxx

ps - sorry for war and peace.
xxx

I went back to work when the twins were 4 months for a similar reason. I used to commute nearly 70 miles per day to work. When I was in my first month may leave a job came up at the hospital 5 mins from my house and more money. I went for interviews and got it :yay: but I had to start in 8 weeks. The twins went to nursery full time and we've never looked back. Our quality of life is much better and we're all happy.
It's not a bad thing, think of the bigger picture xx

Sent from my gorgeous iPhone 4S

I went back to work when the twins were 4 months for a similar reason. I used to commute nearly 70 miles per day to work. When I was in my first month mat leave a job came up at the hospital 5 mins from my house and more money. I went for interviews and got it :yay: but I had to start in 8 weeks. The twins went to nursery full time and we've never looked back. Our quality of life is much better and we're all happy.
It's not a bad thing, think of the bigger picture xx

Phones going mental! Why did I quote myself lol x

Thanks - theres still a lot of kinks to iron out if im gonna take the job, especially given it could take marja months to sell her house, but its good to hear someone elses experiences.

i dont wanna be agreeing to start work, then finding its totally not possible,
xxx

hey my experiences are kinda similar. my oh and i were full time students when josh was born. he was born the 3/10/10 and we both strated back at uni on the 11/10/10. we were fortunate at that point someone would be home all the time and at 3 months our timetables clashed so johua went to nursery! it worked really well for us and i would change anything!! x

I went back at 4 months when I had my daughter but I was a bit career orientated then as I was so much younger so I was mentally ok about leaving her and didn't think much about it. I feel very different 15 years later and hate the thought of leaving him! It sounds like good hours and job though so long as you don't have a c section and are mentally ready at 6 weeks there shouldn't be any problems. Other things to think about is if your bfing you will need to express lots, I'm struggling to express at 7 weeks, and also check what age your childcare will take baby.

I wodbt want to go back that early but if a job like that came up id jump on it! 9-2 3 days a week - awesome

If it was me I'd go for it! The thought of leaving Louie kills me but I need to do it sometime, if someone came to me months ago and said I could have those hours I would jump at the chance. Finding work is hard at the moment. You will have 4 full days with the baby plus you won't be working long hours on the other three days. Hope it works out for you xxx

Thanks everyone - had a chat with my boss about it all - the post still has to be advertised, but only internally and she's keen to have someone who knows the unit which is good. On the plus side she thought it would take a bit longer - so hopefully i'll not have to get sorted to early.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back