How do you wash LO's hair without a screaming match

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
Jake has never liked having his hair washed and always cried but now he is bigger he tries to climb out of the bath while Im washing his hair. I use a small container to pour the water over his head, shampoo then rinse with water. I never get all the shampoo out because he is in such a state at that point. I cannot lie him down in the bath because he looks fooking terrified when I try to do that :(

How do you manage it, or do you?

Forgot to add, we cant use the shower a it is broken and is scalding hot or ice cold

Jams exactly the same somedays TD, its the worst part of bath time :roll:

I use a sponge to wet his head, shampoo, and then use a little cup to rinse off the back, but have to use the sponge on the front again - with towel ready in 1hand incase it goes in his face whilst singin songs or talkin about we are gonna do after iv finished

Dont think its somethin they ever really like tho tbh :think:

Direct answer to your question: I dont!
It is always a screaming match, to the extent that Ani hates baths now :( I have tried everything, singing, dancing, telling stories (i am contemplating physical violence) and we have finally opted for little cup for wetting hair, while baby clings to mom and screams in my ear, soap while baby cotinues to hold on and scream, water in little cup to remove soap while concerto continues, out of bath still screaming, cuddle wrapped in towel until Mama is forgiven, dry baby and dress her and then Mama gets a full set of dry clothes, cos she is drenched! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lisa

my 4 week old son loves his hair washing but as soon as his feet touch the water thats it he screams like a little girl lol

Summer has been a bugger for having her hair washed but I think I can safely say I have cracked it!!! :cheer:

I tried everything (even a watering can) I tried the low water pressure setting on the shower, holding a sponge over her eyes but nothing worked so now I have a seperate flannel for her hair.
Firstly I just wet her hair with just my hands and then I use the flannel for rinsing the shampoo out of her hair.
I just wet the flannel in the bath and wipe the shampoo out. It takes much longer to do because you have to wipe the hair loads of times before all the suds are out but she doesn't cry, she can carry on splashing about and best of all it doesn't go in the eyes!

Could you use one of those shower things you plug onto the taps? The ones that are made out of rubber that mobile hairdressers use? We have one and it works a treat. Its great for rinsing the bath out afterwards too.

Gawd i had this with stephen! it was just a case of you have to put up with it - i found he just grew out of it

2 years on

Nat - Libby hated having hers washed, then I started a 'hair wash routine' and its been a much better time ever since!

We have this and it is a god send!

I wet Libby's hair with a flannel/ sponge, then rub in the shampoo, then its on with the shampoo shield (make sure the visor bit is down not flipped up iykwim) and then I use a measuring jug to rinse the water off, which means I can get all the shampoo off the front - but only ever 3 washes - I count them for her and she knows that it she only has to put up with it on her head for the 3 rinses - she now counts them with me, then we take it off & she hangs it back over the taps. I then use a sponge to wash out the sides and a small cup to rinse any shampoo left at the back.

It did take a good few goes to get this routine establshed but it has transformed hair washing at bathtime for the better!!

x

I dont have trouble with india, but then again she's 3months, lol.

I was worried she may get like that, as all my little sisters/brother was like that and it drove us all crazy with the squeeling and crying. So when i bathe india, im not too careful about keeping water off her face etc. I sing and talk to her and sprinkle water on her face. she would act kinda shocked at first, but she laughs like crazy now. she's good at blinking the water out of her eyes and it doesnt upset her.

melissa likes having water poured over her head! she gasps and flutters her eyes, then smiles! its so cute.

trixipaws said:
melissa likes having water poured over her head! she gasps and flutters her eyes, then smiles! its so cute.

Gabriella does this too :lol:

Ryan doesn't mind having his hair washed AT ALL! but then again ive made sure that when ever i wash his hair im not (this is gonna sound really mean) at all careful about weather the water gets in his eyes, so i think hes just used to it?

Imogen until recently used to love having her hair washed and now she just screams and crys when i do it! tough girl get on with it, spoilt little girl :lol:

Im going to start trying different methods to get her used to it again

Like someone else said, we use a flannel to rinse the front of her hair.

My little boy used to giggle through it and was no problem-we even poured it right over his head so he was used to is it. But..soon as he hit 2ish it that was it screams and tantrums!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back