How do I dry up my milk?

Reena

Reaction score
I really cant breastfeed anymore, its caused me so much pain and now Im not producing enough milk, how do I dry up my milk? Doc said just leave it and it'll dry up on it's own, do I tie a bandage around them? I dont really know what to do, I have mastitis in one breast and Im on antibiotics for that, so Im scared Il get it in the other breast too! please help :wall:

I know you can get drugs to do it but obviously the doctor doesn't seem keen to perscribe them. :hug: I had mastitis twice and was told the best thing to do was to keep them feeding on the breast. Can you not mix breast and formula gradually reducing the amount and number of breast feeds until you stop? This would help with mastitis. To help with the pain I would recommend going to a breast feeding support group to make sure the latch it right as it shouldn't be painful.

If you do decide you want to up your milk supply I would recommend Fenugreek.

I was told by the HV to just do nothing and that it would dry up of its own accord. I followed her advice and I was pretty engorged for a day or two but it went pretty quick, although I did still leak a bit for a week or two.

I agree with Nicky_jones 100%.

Wot a shame to have to stop. I had the same prob at the start. So i expressed my milk till my (.)(.)'s felt better.

I have found my breast feeding support cafe really useful. All the midwfies and HV's said my latch and position were fine. I think some women just struggle more than others.

Are you using lots of Lansinoh cream? That really, really helps sore nipples.

x x x

Hiya

I just left my milk to dry up it kills for about 2 days and even the wind can hurt them and then i still leaked when i held Conal and even when my eldest cried :shock:

My top tip is DO NOT have a hot shower and let the water run onto your boobies it really helps but keeps the milk flowing and you have to go through it all again.

If you really want to stop then stop i respect you for doing it at all a lot of women don't (including me due to other circumstances) and a week is better than nothing :)

Heather

Thanks for the replies guys, but Ive changed my mind, when I picked him up he sorta snuggled up to my breast and it made me so sad, so Im sticking with it, thing is the doc I saw said dont feed him from the infected breast but some midwives said just do it, so I waited 48 hours (taking antibiotics) and put him to the breast and feel so much better, expressing was just too difficult for me!

I guess I just gotta get through it, it doesnt hurt when I feed him, just feels hard on the breast.

BTW, I live in the UK, can I get Lasinoh from the chemist or does the doc have to prescribe?

That is fantastic news, well done. My doctors (I ended up seeing different ones when I had mastitis) both said to make sure you keep feeding from the breast. The HV also checked that I had been told to keep feeding from the infected breast as she said that some doctors give old advice and tell you not to feed them while you have the infections.

You can get the nipple cream from Boots and other chemists. I am sure I have is Lasinoh there. It does get easier and easier. I originally thought I would only breast feed until Ellie was 6 months. She is over 8 months now and I am still breast feeding her. Now planning to feed her until she is 12months, and then I can wean her onto cows milk.

Wow Nicky, well done, I cant even think that far yet, Il keep trying though, do you think I should express from the infected breast too? As the area is mostly hard I worry whether my baby is draining it all, and that's gonna hinder the recovery process.

Thx for the good advice everyone! :hug:

Reena said:
Thanks for the replies guys, but Ive changed my mind, when I picked him up he sorta snuggled up to my breast and it made me so sad, so Im sticking with it, thing is the doc I saw said dont feed him from the infected breast but some midwives said just do it, so I waited 48 hours (taking antibiotics) and put him to the breast and feel so much better, expressing was just too difficult for me!

I guess I just gotta get through it, it doesnt hurt when I feed him, just feels hard on the breast.

BTW, I live in the UK, can I get Lasinoh from the chemist or does the doc have to prescribe?

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow fantastic I am so happy for you, welldone for sticking with it! its hard I know hunny but it will get better I promise :hug: :hug:

You can get lasinoh from mothercare and online its fantastic stuff and will sort those sore nips in no time :D

The problem with expressing at this point, is that your milk hasn't long come in and your body doesn't know how much to produce so it tends to over produce. If you express more than your LO drinks your body will carry on producing too much. Keep feeding her on that breast as much as you can. It will get better. I had to express a bit off on mornings after my milk came in as I was too engorged for Ellie to latch on, however I made sure I fed her that milk on the evening.

Aww thanks tasha! :hug: and big :hug: to all the bf mothers, we deserve it! :D
Just got hubby to buy the lansinoh cream from mothercare and applied it! He was so nervous, gets embarrassed so quickly, well I did get him to buy an electric breast pump last time and the sales woman went into great detail about how to use it :rotfl:

:lol: aww bless him.

No problem hun, as Nicky said using a pump could make you over produce and is better to use one when your milk is established around 6 weeks I think, but I started at 5 and all was fine and dandy :)

Keep putting him to the breast as much as you can to clear the infection and youll be back to normal in no time :hug:

Hey, it seems there's always something going wrong! Ive started feeding him from affected breast and after first two feeds its gotten really painful, I was fine before the mastitis but its so painful to feed him from the infected breast. Also, he's now taking milk from both breasts, whereas initially he only needed one, and he's bringing up some milk, am I overfeeding him? He just never seems satisfied!

Midwife also said, feed him on affected breast first in each feed, is that ok? I dont want my other breast to become clogged too! Sorry for so many questions but Im really finding it hard.
He has a hearing test tomorow, and I dont wanna express but what if he wants to feed, havent been out of the house yet so Im scared! :oops: Please help!!!

Im not informed about mastis as I fortunatly havnt had it ( yet ) but as for feeding out hun, I was so scared to the first time so all I did was put a shawl over my shoulder and baby and then fed her like that, now I couldnt care less I just get it out and stick her on :lol:

Oh also the feeding like that sounds normal to me, feeding is more little and often and in the early stages I know it felt like I didnt have a break and she wasnt happy, just persvere hun it will get easier, as for the mastis listen to your midwives, keep him to the breast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back