Houses...what would you do?

Bexter

Reaction score
Morning ladies, i value your opinion and would like to know what you would do in my situation...

At the moment i live in a 2 bed semi, it's a nice modern house but pretty tiny and i have no room for anything!
As it's in a really nice, expensive area we have a shared ownership on the house where we own 50%. So we have a mortgage for the 50% and pay rent to the housing association.
The house is small but convenient for work and in a good area (however i believe the house has an "expiry date" as we would have to move when looking to have our 2nd child anyway).

I love looking at houses for sale on the net and saw a fab one a few months ago.

DH and i went to look at it and totally fell in love with it. It's a 3/4 bed victorian house with bay windows and a kitchen to die for!
Only draw back is although the street is nice the nearby town is a bit dodgy :shock: .

If we bought the big house the mortgage would roughly be the same as what we are paying now (mortgage and rent).
We wouldn't have that much spare cash tho as we would have to buy a 2nd car so we could commute to work.

We don't have any kids yet and are ttc our first.
So my question is this:

Would you stay in the nice small house in the perfect location?
Or move to the dream house in the not so nice area?

I would stay put for now, and see what else comes up - but then it also depends how desperate you are to move. We live in quite a rough bit of town and want to move to a nicer part, as the children round here look so unhappy and so rude.

Hiya id say stay where you are for now, we bought a semi detached Victorian Villa as well and it has 4 rooms too, we previously lived in a 2 bedroom newly built flat that was too small. We have regreted it for a long time!!! The electricity bills double, the tax goes higher the Gas doubles, and theres so much that goes wrong, weve had to redecorate the whole place and after nearly two years the house resembles a home. Weve spent over £20,000 on upgrading and the outside aint even been looked at yet. The whole house needs rewired too and some of the walls due to water damage that hadnt been picked up til the paper was taken off. If you have enough money to spend on the upgradeing then go ahead it sounds a lovely house. But bear in mind when one thing goes wrong with older houses the whole lot seems to go, means you could be liviing in a building site for quite a while. XkelX

Thanks guys, have spoken to DH and he thinks we ought to stay put too.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Bexter said:
Morning ladies, i value your opinion and would like to know what you would do in my situation...

At the moment i live in a 2 bed semi, it's a nice modern house but pretty tiny and i have no room for anything!
As it's in a really nice, expensive area we have a shared ownership on the house where we own 50%. So we have a mortgage for the 50% and pay rent to the housing association.
The house is small but convenient for work and in a good area (however i believe the house has an "expiry date" as we would have to move when looking to have our 2nd child anyway).

I love looking at houses for sale on the net and saw a fab one a few months ago.

DH and i went to look at it and totally fell in love with it. It's a 3/4 bed victorian house with bay windows and a kitchen to die for!
Only draw back is although the street is nice the nearby town is a bit dodgy :shock: .

If we bought the big house the mortgage would roughly be the same as what we are paying now (mortgage and rent).
We wouldn't have that much spare cash tho as we would have to buy a 2nd car so we could commute to work.

So my question is this:

defiantely stay in the nice area!

Bexter said:

So my question is this:

defiantely stay in the nice area!

My DH always swears he'd rather have a small house in a nice area than a bigger house in a rough area. I tend to agree, especially when kids are introduced into the equation!

We are just about to move from a small one bed flat with the dining room as a nursery to a 2 bed round the corner. We are in a lovely area, couldn't ask for better. Although we know we will have to move again soon, its a step up in the area we love & are happy with our kids growing up in. Couldn't afford a 3 bed yet, so will aim for that in a few years......!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back