Hospital Tomorrow (not really looking forward to it though!)

kazlin

Reaction score
I have to have that test tomorrow to make sure that I haven't developed pregnancy related diabetes.
I have to wait up there for 2 hours, with an empty stomach!!! I always feel queasy when I haven't eaten for a while so I'm not really looking forward to it.

What were your experiences if you had this test?

The drink is very sugary.. Like you I get nauseous too if I don't have something on my stomach but the drink is wonderful :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Like lucazade :rotfl:

I've not had the GTT but everyone else always says to take something to read as you will be very bored :)

Hope it goes well :)

I had mine last week, it was like drinking flat lemonade. Haven't heard anything from the midwife but suspect there's nothing wrong anyway. Are there any symptoms with gestational diabetes like with ordinary diabetes, you know, increased thirst/urination, fatigue etc...

i had mine at 28 weeks
the 2 hours went quite quick... but i think thats because i fell asleep in my car for an hour lol
the drink wasnt that bad.. it just tasted like apple juice

I have mine next week not sure really what to expect.

I know i never miss breakfast so im going to be starving :rotfl:

I notice your location is Surrey. Did you have to do a silly diet for three days? I just moved from there and they gave me a list of things they wanted me to eat but when I moved to Lancashire I only had to drink some Lucozade :puke:

How do they determine you have to have the GTT? I'm really confused about this? I have my rearranged 28 wk appt on weds, will i have one? i'm confuddled..... :think: :oops: :think:

Its a piece of cake! I went at 9am and so it wasn't too horrendous (not really a breakfast person anyway)

Depending on how much you weigh you may not be offered one. They generally like to test those who are considered overweight according to the BMI (Body mass index). Although I was dieting and losing weight before I became pregnant I was still considered overweight according to the BMI so I was tested anyway. After the test if you do not hear anything from a week to two weeks assume everything is okay.

Hope this helps?

i had mine last week and it really wasnt that bad. The drink is pretty thick which makes it a bit strange in my book but taste wise isn't horrid. After Id had the drink i was sent down for an antenatal appointment so I actually only had to wait about an hour after that.

I wasn't as hungry as I thought i would be but did go straight to subway for a sandwich afterwards. The worse part about it was not being able to have my morning coffee. I'm a bit of a grump without my daily fix!

I had one at 30 weeks because a random blood sugar came back high. It was fine :D

My appointment was 9am but I didn't get my first lot of bloods taken until 10 as they couldn't find a vein :roll: The drink was flat Lucozade which was discusting and it did make me feel a bit sick. I had my second lot of bloods at 12pm then went straight home for a drink and something to eat!

The worst part about it was sitting in the stuffy day unit for 2 hours :?

Good luck with yours :)

I had mine last week, really boring and very warm in the waiting room for 2 hours. And there wasn't even any magazines to read :x . I had one cos of polycystic ovaries (and cos I fat :D )

Oh thanks everyone, I feel better about it now.

I have had to follow a 3 day diet, high in carbs.

I guess the plus side is that I noticed there were a lot of magazines there, but I'll probably just take my book along.

There were 2 other girls having theirs done when I went so I chatted with them

I have to have it because there is diabetes in my family.

Just a quick update...

I got off to a bad start earlier, because I hadn't eaten I was sick first thing, I knew that would happen, but it didn't continue so felt better after.
The two hours went quite quick as I read a magazine and book and the drink wasn't bad. Had some bloods taken as well.

I have to phone for the results tomorrow, hopefully everything will be ok.

Not a bad day at all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back