Horrible pain - upper abdomen

tipper

Reaction score
Pretty much, I woke up this morning in awful pain. I don't think I've ever felt this before in my life. I am horrible at explaining things, but I'll try my best D:

The pain seems to center on the upper abdomen, if I were to rest my hands right beneath my breasts, that's where it would be. The pain only tends to last for about 10 minutes, but it is excruciating - not a sharp, shooting pain at all...more like someone is trying to crush me. The first time this happened I could barely breathe..and then I started getting some pain around my heart (I have a slightly wonky heart to begin with..). I had the thoughts of "OMG, I need to leave a note for my husband to find in case something happens". Ok, maybe a tad dramatic...but I was pretty freaked out.

Somehow it stopped, and I thought I was in the clear....then it started up again about 15 minutes later. It has now stopped again which is why I'm able to type this, otherwise I'd be rolling around in agony trying to find a position that makes it ever so slightly better.

My first thought went to the baby's feet/head or something being lodged up real high, but would the pain be THAT bad? I had always thought it would be more of a discomfort vs. agony.

Thankfully I have an appointment with my doctor in about an hour, but I figured I'd also run this by you girls to see if anyone has had anything similar.

Aww hun thats sounds awful no wonder you freaked out.

The only time I have had agonising pain that comes and goes in my stomache(upper abdomen) area was when I had a Stomache ulser - worst pain I have ever been in even after child birth lol

I hope the Doctor can help - let us know how you get on xxx

Last edited:
Well, my face is red.

Turns out it was just a good case of heartburn which I have never had in my life.
:lol: I guess it's better that I end up embarrassed over this rather than finding out something serious was going on. But holy crap! Heartburn is a bitch! :shakehead:

Wow I have never had heartburn that bad and do not ever want it.

Lol sending hugs to you hunny! I am really glad you are ok xx

After getting to work, I researched heartburn a bit more, and I'm not 100% certain that's what it is (gogo self-diagnosing!). But yeah, 2 years ago I had horrible chest pains pretty much all day long, no matter what I did for about 4 months. It was really quite frightening as I was only 26 and pretty healthy at the time. After several cardiologist visits, and a variety of testing, they only came back with me having a thicker mitral valve, arrhythmia, and a heart murmur. Not very reassuring when I felt the way I did.

So yeah, having this level of chest pain again was scary :( It definitely wasn't the same as I had years ago as that felt like it was right over my heart...this time around it was dead center in my chest and I couldn't breathe.

From what Ive been reading, heartburn typically is more of a burning pain, can start in your chest and go up to your esophagus, and give you a vile taste in your mouth. I had none of that. :( I'm really not hoping that I have some horrible illness, but it's just not very reassuring when doctors blow off what could be a potential serious issue as mere heartburn just because you're pregnant, and it's common.

*sigh*

Last edited:
I just saw this and was away to say sounds like bad indigestion. I've only had it once or twice but its hurts alot!!! Glad you spoke to doc though

x

(((((((((hugs))))))))))) that sounds like something i had before i fell pregnant last year.

It would happen every few weeks or so, and like you last for 10-15 mins, go away and come back,also felt like it was near my heart & left me really short of breath etc.

Mentioned it to the GP who didn't have any clues.

However a few weeks later i mentioned it to another gp when i had it accompained by a chest infection, and she did a check for asthma.
Found out i had asthma all along and since i've been on a steroid pump i haven' had the pain since.

Maybe worth asking, just in case.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back