honestly - do you manage to rest when baby is sleeping?

laetitia85

Reaction score
everyone tells me to rest while baby is sleeping, and i know it's a good piece of advice. but i always wonder if the people who give the advice actually have a house, a life, a husband, housework to do, cooking etc... doesn't seem like they do! i have no choice but to do the housework/cooking etc. when baby is sleeping cuz that's the only time i can get it done. husband is VERY helpful (he cleaned the whole house today) but i still have tons for work to do myself.

am i the only one?

I never have, but it really is good advice. If I could turn the clock back with Jude I would definitely try and rest while he did. When they're small it's often the only chance you get. Just do the essential jobs, let the rest wait xx

no i cant either, mostly because amber only has power naps at home, she wont sleep in her cot during the day i am trying to get her used to this but in those odd ten minutes i have to wash and sterilis hee bottles or tidy somethin or sort the dogs out!!

I do all the things that need doing when Adam sleeps which is not often. I'm lucky at the moment as my hubby is on holiday and he is spending a lot of time with Adam which gives me time to finally get round to sorting out the house. :D

Obviously it doesn't apply for me now cos it doesn't work when you have more than one child but when I had my 1st I never rested. Theres always jobs to be done! I used to be the only time I could get the babies bottles done.

i think its ridiculous IMO as it takes me ages to actually get to sleep and by the time i had emma was awake again :x (obviously referring to the good old days when she actually napped :D )

I only rest on a night when Lola is in bed in the day time she doesn't sleep for long enough for me to go to sleep but i'm always tired just lately :sleep:

Nope, I get bits and pieces done but i only rest when I get to bed at night.

I never did in the beginning, but now I sleep through the day when Isaac sleeps, but I know not sleeping when he did in the early days, was the wrong thing to do because I nearly killed myself by not resting and I do believe its the best piece of advice for any new Mummy, and old Mummy, and its such a shame its the hardest to take on board.

Personally I found it harder as Isaac was a bad sleeper and would only sleep on me, so I couldn't always have the choice anyway and I personally didn't give a monkeys about the housework on a regular basis, I was too busy with Isaac, and the housework waited, it will always be there anyway, did get me down yes, but if I'd have spent hours on it to just have to do it all again, it would have taken away time with Isaac, I'd rather live in mess :lol:

Nope. Its Really Good Advice I Agree & I Wish I Could But Im Always Busy. My OH Doesnt Help Much So I Have To Do Everything Really Lol

I can honestly say i have NEVER slept in the day when Hannah has slept. Sinse being about 4 weeks old she has only napped twice aday for about 15-20 minutes each time. She's still exactly the same.
She always been wayyy too intested in things around and sceard she'll miss somthing to sleep long. (i tried putting her upstaires, away, everything - its just the way she is)

so its never been worth me trying to get my head down.

Stuff the housework I say!!

I always sleep when Ruby naps during day (mainly weekends as I work full time) and I fit in housework when OH is home and one of us can entertain her....

I used to feel guilty but dont any moe, keep the house clean and tidy but I am more relaxed now and make time to recharge when she is sleeping xxxx

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: No, sleep during the day is impossible, Its too valuable time wasted, I have 2/3 wash loads a day to get through, drying putting away, sweeping our wood floors, cleaning up after 3 bigger kids and a fella.....sleep? If I did my house would become a bombsite and i'd have too much washing to catch up on!

you perhaps have to relax your standards slightly to allow your self, not a 2 hour sleep but a power nap here and there.

If I were to write down the things I used to do around the house compared with the things I do now there would be a bit of a change.

Its a tricky transition. You think if you dont get all the same things done, all the same meals cooked the same way then you are a failure and not coping but thats rubbish.

You are a new new mum and much as your baby needs to find his routine, you also need to find your new one.

if im not asleep, eating or on here when Jams asleep then im cleanin lol :lol: Jam sleep time is me time :wink:

lauramumof2 said:
you perhaps have to relax your standards slightly to allow your self, not a 2 hour sleep but a power nap here and there.

If I were to write down the things I used to do around the house compared with the things I do now there would be a bit of a change.

Its a tricky transition. You think if you dont get all the same things done, all the same meals cooked the same way then you are a failure and not coping but thats rubbish.

You are a new new mum and much as your baby needs to find his routine, you also need to find your new one.

that's so true.

Don't forget, it's still really early days for you and those early days are so hard. You are both finding your way. As others have said, leave the housework. Rest when you can. You may not sleep (I never could) but just lying and breathing deeply with your eyes closed does recharge your batteries. Sending hugs. Lucyx

not really- i'v tried but i find it hard to fall asleep no matter how tired i am coz i feel like im "on call" iykwim? u kno like when u got work the next day and it gets late and ur still awake so u feel anxious thinkin "only got 5 hours before i hav to get up" so that stops u sleeping, then u look at clock and u only got 4 hours, then 3... well its like that! i cant sleep coz im thinking "she gonna wake any minute" but she doesnt then i think "well she's MORE likely to wake now the longer it gets" and eventually she does and im still awake :(
then other times the house is so mingin i just cant resist cleaning while i got a spare minute

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back