Homemade Burgers

happy-chick

Reaction score
Looking for a recipe for homemade burgers, got some mince left over from shepherds pie that we had for tea tonight so wanted to make burgers for mine and Ellie's dinner tomorrow. Wanted to use some finely chopped onions, black pepper and seasoning but what do I use to stick it together? Will egg do the trick?

I don't put anything in mine, just the mince, onion, herbs and seasoning and they hold together fine.

Mix it all together, make into patties and put in the fridge for 30(ish) min before cooking.

If I am making my cheese ones (a cube of cheese in the middle of the pattie so it melts when cooking) I put a little BBQ sauce in as it seems to stop the cheese escaping during cooking

I usually use egg and breadcrumbs and they hold together well (but that could be cos I've got a burger press from Lakeland, I'm a sucker for a gadget :D )

SarahH said:
I don't put anything in mine, just the mince, onion, herbs and seasoning and they hold together fine.

Mix it all together, make into patties and put in the fridge for 30(ish) min before cooking.

If I am making my cheese ones (a cube of cheese in the middle of the pattie so it melts when cooking) I put a little BBQ sauce in as it seems to stop the cheese escaping during cooking

You have no idea how much my mouth is watering reading this, I'm coming to yours for a burger :lol:

If i make them with cheese in the middle then like Sarah i dont use anything to stick them i just shape them then put them in the fridge. If im making them without the cheese then i use a small egg beaten added to the mixture but i still put them in the fridge to set for a while before cooking.

I make my own all the time, just egg is fine as is just breadcrumbs or a mix of both. Put them in the fridge to set for a while before grilling too.

I did find that breadcrumbs bind them together better though. As for other ingredients, use whatever you like! I use lazy garlic, herbs, onion, touch of curry powder, whatevers in the cupboard really.

onions wostershire sauce herbs and pepper thats it.. :D i put garlic in if doing turkey burgers

Ooooo I have a great minced lamb burger recipe, served with minted cucumber sauce *slurp* Now I'll have to cook some this weekend.

We just use the mince (lean stuff, hate fatty stuff), mixed herbs, seasoning, onion and also something called Sambal which is basically Indonesian smooshed chilli stuff. Brilliant.

Last time i made them they tasted awful, like mince without any gravy on it, what am i doing wrong?

chickadee1976 said:
Last time i made them they tasted awful, like mince without any gravy on it, what am i doing wrong?

You need to be quite generous with the stuff you put in it. I use a whole onion between two burgers.

I make burgers quite a lot...one of OH's favs :roll:

I usually use a little egg to bind it together if I'm making plain burgers. But I also have a few special ingredients... I swap egg for some hot mustard...or I use tomato puree.

oh yes forgot about mustard powder... if you are doing slimmign world diet the turkey burgers are free.. i can never find extra lean mince.. so yesterday i used asdas lean mince 20% less fat..they have other lean mince which is only 12% less.. so thought this is the leanest mice i can find.. but it was still really fatty... so im sticking with turkey.. they taste great..

so let me rephrase my recipe..

turkeymince 500g
1 large onion
2 tsp mustard powder
sprinkle of pepper
good dash of dry herbs or lots of fresh
and thats it.. you dont even need egg...

i get a palm full and roll it into a ball and make it into a patty in ym hand.. dont do them thick tho coz they take ages to cook.. i dry fry mine..

I bind mine with an egg and then mould it round a mini baby bell, lovely!! If you chop the onion really fine you don't need anything to hold it together.

If using lamb add fresh mint and squeeze some lemon, gorgeous!

This thread is seriously tasty! :lol:

My tip is a pinch of cumin in them - yummy!
Jimmer

Im going to give these a go tomorrow.

Is this right?

lean mince (or is full fat mince better?)
1 onion finely chopped (does this need to be cooked beforehand or is it put in raw?)
a sprinkle of mixed herbs? too expensive and a waste to get fresh with my lack of cooking
a pinch of cumin (as per Jimmer)
1 egg and breadcrumbs to bind the ingredients
a dash of worcestershire sauce?

Do you then grill them?

Sounds good to me!

Yes grill or fry (I grill as the egg & breadcreumbs hold them together no problem)

So its just mince (your choice), egg and/or breadcrumbs, choice of herbs, grated onion, bit of garlic, worcester sauce, anything you like :)

Enjoy!

I made them! They all stayed together fine but were a tiny bit tastless (im probably used to the crap they put in shop bought ones) I never know how much of the other ingredients to put in. They had plenty of onion, a sprinkle of mixed herbs and dash of worcester sauce and a few garlic granuels.. Think i needed something else!

Clairex

yummy i make minted lamb burgers with just the minced lamb, breadcrumbs and dried mint sprinkled in,
they are so yummy think i'll make some next week :)

I made burgers for tea tonight. I experimented from my normal ones and they were yummy!
I mixed grated cheese, garlic and chilli in with the mince and used an egg to bind them. They were lush but i feel like a heifer now because i ate two along with a huge plate of crispy fried potatoes and coleslaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back