• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Homebirth

Oliver's mummy

Reaction score
hi girls :D

i was just wondering to all who have had home births or thinking of one, what sort of things did/ do you need, things like towels etc.

Will post in Ask a mum too.

Any help appreciated :hug:

Hi, I want a homebirth. I've been told I'll have a midwife come to my house at about 32 weeks so she can look around, make suggestions etc. Then she'll leave me with a list of things I will need, i.e. old bed sheets, plastic protectors, towels and what ever else. The midwife said that really they bring everything you are going to need anyway so I shouldn't worry too much about going out to buy additional sheets or covers etc. Have you mentioned wanting a homebirth to your care providers yet? They should arrange a home visit with you prior to delivery so you both know the set-up and what will happen, it's an hour long appointment so I imagine it's quite in-depth. They usually don't do them before 32 weeks incase you have a premature delivery as then they would want you (understandably) in hospital to deal with what ever baby might need after the delivery. You might find local home birthing support groups in your area too that can help, advice etc. I joined mine 2 weeks ago and it's been invaluable. I'm sure something like the NCT might be able to point you in the right direction for local support groups etc.

we planned a home waterbirth so we got loads of big towels to put on the floor and for me. we got some pillows to put underneath the pool so it was more comfortable on my knees. youll have most of it any way like stuff for the baby and you. at 37 weeks the midwife delivers a great big box of stuff for the delivery so they supply most of it. id get in some snacks for the midwifes as they will need feeding.

ooo Good idea about the snacks. One thing I haven't thought about.
Just get lots of plastic sheets and keep the gas and air away from radiators ect.
The wonderful thing about hb's is that everything you need is to hand anyway.
You might want to get a few more towels and do a hosptial bag just in case.

Oh I hadn't thought about Midwife snacks...good call on that one.
I also intend on packing a hospital bag "just incase" my hubby would have a fit if I just left a list saying I needed a nightdress, underwear, baby vests etc...he'd not know where to look!! :D

yeah pack a bag, i never and OH had to do it while i was in full blown

labour(we had to transfer for meconium) he packed clothes that hadnt

fitted me for about 2 months!

hi girls thanks for all of your help,

i have spoken to my community midwife who came yesterday and made it sound like she didn't want me to have a home birth and she just said i'll have to get 'things' ready but didn't say what :roll: she made the whole HB experience sound so negative :cry:

and btw i have already packed a bag just a few final bits to get. thanks :hug:

she might change her mind if she watches the news today!

I had my little boy at home 5 days ago adn it was a fantastic experience (I just put my story in the 'announce your arrival' section). If you want to have baby at home and there's no medical reason not to, go for it!

Useful things to have: towels, waterproof sheet(s), bin bags... can't think of anything really essential, the midwife brought most things with her.

Good luck :hug:

missac said:
she might change her mind if she watches the news today!

hi missac what do you mean? or am i being dumb? :lol:

also thanks maybebaby i was hoping for your opinion she says that she has to get my primary carers opinion as i had a heart murmur as a child but its OK now, but i dont think i'll get HB knowing my MW :roll:

it is on the news that more mums are going to be offered home births, i will try and find a link x

Hello sartet :wave:

Wonderful news you'll be having your LO at home, we are too, we got a big pack about sterilize this and infection that, it's all a bit too much I think, but they are the medical professionals and have to do that side of things.

On the other hand, our preperations are, me, LO, OH, cousin to make snacks and video, watch the dog, our CD's for relaxing, and lots of excitement :cheer:

I told my MW she would be there when we phoned her, and also that we would like her to bascially do her part very quietly, we are hypnobirthing which requires little 'intervention' if it's not Mum, LO or birth partner. My MW was very positive about the whole thing, I think the more you can KNOW about birth, the better, read up on your uterus etc leave all the medical issues to the MW, you are going to do just fine giving birth quite naturally by yourself :hug:

As for towels etc, a few will probably come in handy, although I don't know where I'll finally birth, so cannot plan where to put them hehe

Best wishes :hug: :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back