• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home birth

littlebump

Reaction score
Well my MW came over on Friday and dropped off the homebirth stuff - including some drugs which went straight into the fridge and a (worryingly small) tank of gas and air!! It doesn't have the regulator attached and we've been so far very restrained in not interfering with it!!

I did think to myself that it would barely last me an hour as last time I got through a full (big) tank and a half, but she assured me she'd bring more when she comes to the house on the big day!!

So all good on that front. She also did an antenatal checkup and baby is hapy and FULLY engaged. I thought she'd say that as it's been so uncomfortable lately - it sometimes feels like baby's just going to fall out. Anyway she's still optimistic that baby will arrive early - particularly as Maddie was early. I really hope so - it's so exhausting looking after a toddler when I'm this uncomfortable as many of you can sympathise.

Annoyingly we told MIL last night that we were planning to have a home birth and she was very unsupportive. We only told her out of necessity as she'll come over to pick Maddie up when I go into labour. We haven't told anyone else, but she was also really miffed that she'd been kept 'out of the loop' for so long.

I don't know about anyone else but I think our decision to have a home birth is such a private matter, I really would rather not tell anyone at all outside of this circle because people just don't understand and assume that we're taking unnecessary risks. We found ourselves spending nearly an hour trying to justify the decision and assure her it wasn't made lightly - but now I feel really deflated about it all.

LBxx

Oh how exciting your homebirth stuff came. I have another midwife appointment at the surgery on Tuesday, I'm going to pester her then for a homebirth check/talk type thing as so many ladies have it earlier than what she wants me to have it at....good girl not interfering with the gas/air tank, I'd be investigating it out of curiosity knowing I shouldn't be touching it!! I agree with the birthing decision being a private matter, I found myself explaining the situation to my Mother ages ago about the how's and when's but she's still not 100% convinced and just adds "at least you live near the hospital" that annoys me!! You do what you feel best and sod anyone elses thoughts on the matter!! Just think LO will be here soon!! That's what to focus on!! :cheer:

wow cool glad u got it already cant wait for the lil one to be born :) cant wait for mine neither :lol:

Sorry to read about your MIL's reaction LB. :roll: Sounds to me like she was being a bit over protective. Sometimes parents find it hard to let go. Did your OH find it annoying too?

It's probably just concern but I think you are totally right about the home birth being your decision. So long as you do your research on the subject then it's up to you and OH what birth plan you make.

:hug:

glad u got all ready :hug:

:x :evil: :twisted: it really annoys me when people judge me for my decision to hav a home birth, so i sypathise with u big time there. try not to let it bug u (i kno its hard tho!)

good luck, ur nearly full term now- just hold LO in for 2 more days so u dont hav to go to hospital!

x x x

Hi

Glad your getting everything prepared!! Sound slike LO could come soon how exciting . I hope you have a good home birth excperience :)
Katrina

Thanks everyone.

Yes Sabrina - DH was a little miffed about her reaction too - kind of wished he hadn't told her!

Ah well - at least they know now - I just have to hope everything goes smoothly!

LBxx

Hey
I am glad in a way that I am going into MW Unit cause that gas an air would have gone the min it came into my house :rotfl: :rotfl: , I just wouldnt be able to resist it.
Dont let anyone put a downer on your plans. Its your decision and if they dont like it then TUFF LUCK its you having the baby not them.
Good luck with your plans hun :hug: Hope all goes well.
Sherry xx

How exciting Littlebump! I would have considered a home birth , maybe next time.

I guess the big gas tanks would be a bit heavy for the midwives to carry about!

Congrats on getting your HB stuff :cheer:

My MW brings gas and air with her when i need it/in labour, she said 2/3 and could she have my OH help her bring them in :D

Never mind the MIL, its your decision, and good for you.

Very BIG hugs littlebump :hug:
So glad you're getting all set for the big day :cheer: Very best wishes for a comfortable, and soon, arrival :hug:
I do know what it's like feeling you have to 'defend' the homebirth choice, but I just tell people I'm putting my baby first, that's why I'm having a homebirth, with a healthy, risk free pregnancy it's the safest place to birth :D ask women in Holland, they have a 70% homebirth rate :wink:

I agree Redshoes! It is the safest place. I've researched it no end and believe that the benefits out weight the risks - the risks are often only there in hospital due to the lack of care. I think the NHS is great but the midwives are just too stretched in a hosp environment.

I have also had to justify our decision. People think it's too risky and have said things like "god you're brave". I think it's natural to have a bay at home.

Redshoes said:
Very BIG hugs littlebump :hug:
So glad you're getting all set for the big day :cheer: Very best wishes for a comfortable, and soon, arrival :hug:
I do know what it's like feeling you have to 'defend' the homebirth choice, but I just tell people I'm putting my baby first, that's why I'm having a homebirth, with a healthy, risk free pregnancy it's the safest place to birth :D ask women in Holland, they have a 70% homebirth rate :wink:

I didn't realise the stats were so high in Holland. Very interesting. I did hear that something like 3/10 women opt for homebirth in parts of Devon though.

Thanks for the support though - I also believe for me it's a better option than the hospital, but there's no point in me trying to get this point across.

LBxx

That's so funny Natalie, people say to me 'god you're brave' too, which I find very strange, they also then say, 'you wait, you'll be screaming for an epidural within no time' :think: heehee

I thought that too littlebump about Holland, also the borough of south london has a high homebirth rate of around 46%, and Wales is very pro-homebirth these days too, it's all positive stuff :)

Redshoes said:
they also then say, 'you wait, you'll be screaming for an epidural within no time' :think: heehee

What a cheek - why on earth would anyone say something like that????? Grrrrrr!!

whimper, i may not get mine... pesky LO still breech! :( hope she turns and i hav no other complications so i can join u guys in th HB club! :pray:

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you Trixipaws.

My friend saw a consultant who was able to turn her baby - she was around 38 weeks I think. Anyway it did the trick. Have they offered the same to you?

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back