Holiday

Sammy J

Reaction score
Hello was wondering if you can help.

I was enquiring about my holiday entitlement in 2009, brief on me.

I am 12+4 (I think) I am due 23rd June 2009, normally I am entitled to 22 days plus bank holidays per year (Jan-Dec).

My friend said to me last night (who is currently on Maternity leave) that she was entitled to her whole years worth of maternity. I asked our accountant today what is my entitlement and she said its worked out by how many whole months I work next year?

So I am confused is my friend getting a really good deal? Or is my work tight?

Sam

If you have worked somewhere for more than a year than you are entitled to your full quota of holiday from the first day of the holiday year.

However, in your first year of employment, your emplyer is allowed to make you accrue your holiday on a monthly basis before you can take it.

So it depends how long you have been working there...

I have been working for the same dealership for 6 years, ever since I was 19 (now 25).

Where can I find this out for certain?

I don't want to kick up a stink and then me look like an idiot?

Sam

Bear with me - I'll find the official government link for you (my work tried to be funny so I printed it out for them!!)

Sorry for being thick, but am I getting this right then.

My holiday runs from 1st Jan to 31st Dec. I am entitled (currently) to 22 days a year.

I will be leaving at the end of May as our baby is due 23rd June.

So how much holiday can I take before I leave on 31st May, am I allowed to take the whole 22 days?

Only the accountant said she is sure that you work it out by divinding 22 by 12 months and multiplying it by how many months I will work that year (so in my case 5).

I'm confused.

you are entitled to ALL your leave entitlement whilst on maternity leave as whilst on mat leave you still accrue holidays. The accountant has got it wrong and they should read up on maternity rights. Some employers wont allow you to carry over untaken holiday so in this case it is best to take it BEFORE your mat leave starts, else you could carry it over and take it at the end. either way you are entilted to your whole entitlement of 22 days (or whatever you are entitled to) also if you would normally get an increase in your leave entitlement next year this would still apply regardless that you are on maternity leave.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Mon ... G_10039631

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back