High risk downs results, please help!

kathryn85

Reaction score
Hello,

I am 13 weeks pregnant and had a call yesterday to say I am in the high risk category for downs. I am understandably very worried and am looking for advice or experience from others.

I was told my chances are 1 in 17. My nuchal translucency was 2.6. hcg was 1.85 and Papp-a was 0.55. Spoke to the midwife again this morning who said my blood test results aren’t alarming but just outside of the normal levels.

We ended up going for the NIPT yesterday and the nuchal translucency result was actually lower than my original test at 1.9.

I am 35 which is probably partly why I have been thrown into the high risk category.

I am trying to feel reassured that my results weren’t so alarming but I am still very worried even though it’s just a 5.8% chance.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Hi Kathryn85,

I’m 31 and this is my second pregnancy after a MMC earlier this year. I was advised that I was classed as ‘high risk’ two days after my 12 week dating scan. My NT was fine so my blood must have been the issue (I don’t know my exact results). I decided to get an NIPT privately as it’s not available on the NHS in Scotland. I ended up waiting 6 days for my results which all came back low probability (less than 1 in 10,000).

I made myself sick with worry when waiting for my results. I know it’s easier said than done but try and think positive thoughts. I hope you get the result you want and everything is ok.

xx

Hi Kathryn85,

I’m 31 and this is my first pregnancy after a MMC earlier this year. I was advised that I was classed as ‘high risk’ two days after my 12 week dating scan. My NT was fine so my blood must have been the issue (I don’t know my exact results). I decided to get an NIPT privately as it’s not available on the NHS in Scotland. I ended up waiting 6 days for my results which all came back low probability (less than 1 in 10,000).

I made myself sick with worry when waiting for my results. I know it’s easier said than done but try and think positive thoughts. I hope you get the result you want and everything is ok.

xx

Hi there, so the likelihood is still that your baby is not affected with those odds.
I am a midwife and one of our patients recently had a 1:2 chance of baby being affected but turns out baby didn’t have it, following NIPT.
I chose to have NIPT done in this pregnancy because of my age, although my NHS screening returned a low chance result. NHS screening is only 85% accurate. Easier said than done but try not to stress yourself too much about it just now x

Thank you both of you for your responses, I do appreciate it.

It is such a worrying time but I do know that the odds are on my side. Princess81 it’s reassuring to hear your views so thank you.

I do wish the NHS would introduce NIPT so that it reduces stress on couples. Fingers crossed I get a low risk result. I should know by Friday.

Thank you both of you for your responses, I do appreciate it.

It is such a worrying time but I do know that the odds are on my side. Princess81 it’s reassuring to hear your views so thank you.

I do wish the NHS would introduce NIPT so that it reduces stress on couples. Fingers crossed I get a low risk result. I should know by Friday.

Some trusts fo have it already, for people whose results are 1:150 or more. It’s a bit of a postcode lottery for it at the moment. Hope Friday comes round quickly for you.

Some trusts fo have it already, for people whose results are 1:150 or more. It’s a bit of a postcode lottery for it at the moment. Hope Friday comes round quickly for you.

Yes we were lucky as we could afford to go private but I know for lots of couples that won’t be possible.

I am trying to remain positive, just hope the results come in soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back