• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Herbs and spices??

Jen3704

Reaction score
I have read a few times that herbs and spices should be avoided in early pregnancy. Surely its safe in tri2?? I make everything from scratch and when I was in the first tri, I ate loads of herbs and spices, oops! I didnt know! I still do, well, when I say loads, I season food with it, eg this kinda thing (not all in one dish lol) 1 tbsp of paprika, 1 tbsp cajun spice, 1 tsp of cinammon (sp?), 1 tbsp rosemary, 1tsp nutmeg etc etc.

Otherwise, food wouldnt taste of anything!! I am a keen cook and love the meals I cook and they are all really healthy, bit of a health addict, always have been haha.

Who else still cooks with herbs and spices??

I'm 21 weeks tomorrow and nothing is mentioned on NHS guidelines!! Do you all think that its another one of those 'foods to apparently avoid' and no real proof or evidence?? Just like the whole liquorice thing (liquorice root is 'supposed' to be avoided etc, hmm well I still eat it, anyway...)

We cant avoid everything surely!!!

I do understnd avoiding it in tri1, nothing is worth the risk etc! But surely tri2 onwards should be ok?? as long as you dont eat truck loads lol???

I'm hoping you girlies say you all still have hebs and spices, cos I dont know what i'll eat otherwise haha!!

Thanks girlies :)

I had no idea about this!! I have cooked with herbs and spices all the way through. I am 15 weeks this weekend. At my booking appointment my midwife gave me a list of things to avoid and didn't mention any of this... I think I will carry on using them. xx

Is only a few herbs that aren't safe during pregnancy

Basil
Sage
Rosemary
Cloves
Cassia
Oregano

The list does go on as these herbs help the womb contract - however you have to have these in vast amounts for them to take some effect they are advised in early pregnancy to be avoided. It's all very precautionary and some of these are used in natural ways in third tri to help naturally induce labor. I would say after 15 weeks they won't make a difference x

At my booking appt I asked my mw about this and she confirmed it but disnt tell me until I asked her

Is only a few herbs that aren't safe during pregnancy

Basil
Sage
Rosemary
Cloves
Cassia
Oregano

The list does go on as these herbs help the womb contract - however you have to have these in vast amounts for them to take some effect they are advised in early pregnancy to be avoided. It's all very precautionary and some of these are used in natural ways in third tri to help naturally induce labor. I would say after 15 weeks they won't make a difference x

At my booking appt I asked my mw about this and she confirmed it but disnt tell me until I asked her

Oh dear - I've used most of those the whole way through! Especially basil, oregano, rosemary and sage which I have in quite a few recipes!

Doesn't seem to have done any harm though and I think the fact they aren't listed on most 'to be avoided during pregnancy lists' means they are fine.

xxxxx

Last edited:
If your scans are ok that's ok it's more to do with really early pregnancy and cramping and possible mc I think they warn upto like 15 weeks if you having problems with bleeding ext and your womb is already cramping and contracting. Your baby will be absolutely fine bab xx

If your scans are ok that's ok it's more to do with really early pregnancy and cramping and possible mc I think they warn upto like 15 weeks if you having problems with bleeding ext and your womb is already cramping and contracting. Your baby will be absolutely fine bab xx

I have a history of recurrent miscarriage and no-one ever mentioned avoiding these herbs to me?

xxxxxxxxx

Thanks girls!! Its good to know that you all still use them, its also a relief to know I can still cook as normal lol. Think hubby would seriously fall out with me if I stopped cooking haha!! xx

Usual culinary use of those herbs is way too small quantity to have any effect never mid a harmful one.
I consumed all those during the whole pregnancy.

Used in cooking there shouldnt be enough of them to cause a problem xxx

It's the same with certain aromatherapy oils though they're meant to be avoide in the first tri because they make you menstrate x I'm sure there's a website somewhere with them listed on x

Last edited:

I have a history of recurrent miscarriage and no-one ever mentioned avoiding these herbs to me?

xxxxxxxxx

Used in cooking it should be fine it's depends on the amount you use and in cooking its minimal but things like oils with these herbs and spices in should be avoided. This is what I was told at the hospital when I was bleeding with the twins. But midwife confirmed it at booking appointment too. There isn't anything in the books as you have to have allot to make an effect. Best thing to do if your worried is to contact a herbalist or google it. But your baby should be fine and I wouldn't worry bab xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back