• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help with formula feeding

mermaid

Reaction score
I have been b/feeding Finley since he was born but have considered formula feeds at night to take some pressure off myself. I don't know anything about formula feeding and I would like to know how often I would give a formula feed through the night and how much i would give. I'm also wondering if it is worth it and if baby will sleep better?
Any help is much appreciated! :D

Just to remind you that this could seriously effect your supply, for a few it hasnt had much effect but for alot it does.

Also your milk isnt properly established until around 6 - 8 weeks the more you put bubba to the breast the quicker this happens.

Breastfeeding is hard work I understand that and you want a break, how about pumping in the mornings and storing your milk so that your partner or could do a feed so you get an hour to yourself.

Its only now that Olivia sleeps from 12 midnight until 4 - 6 in the morning.

Stick it out hun it will get easier :D Giving forumala could give your bubba bad constipation, as its heavier on their tummy, breastmilk is just the right amount.

Its upto you at the end of the day hun but I promise it does get better :hug: youve done brillianlty dont spoil the hard work :hug:

Also if you up your calorie intake your bubba will go longer between feeds :D

Thanks Tasha, I didn't know about the calorie intake thing! Will try that although I am eating like a horse already lol! I thought perhaps 1-2 formula feeds may have been ok.

If you want to take the pressure off yourself and are having difficulty in expressing enough to feed then give formula.

I have been having problems and I was made to feel extremely guilty about thinking about giving my baby a bottle but this just made me consider giving up completley.

As long as your baby is feeding well through the day then I see no problem in combining breast and formula. ( Tasha is right in saying this could reduce the amount of milk that is made for your evening feeds but if you continue to give the formula at the same time each night then this isn't an issue. To keep the supply up you could consider expressing at this time and letting someone else feed the baby)

Whatever you decide it is your choice, don't let people tell you that formula is bad for the baby. Many women combine breast and formula (albeit once their supply has become established) In my humble opinion - any breast milk the baby gets is better than none.
Currently Logan is being breast fed throughout the day and is having a bottle of formula at night and it has not caused any significant problems - and he is not constipated).

HTH

Lyndsey, you're right, I do feel guilty about giving a bottle, even when it is a bottle of breast milk lol! I'm sure though that just the odd bottle of formula can't be too bad for the baby.

Do you find that the formula fills Logan up more than the breast milk?

I must admit I got desprate and wanted a break as my milk in the evenings slowed down and Olivia was always very upset at that time, I tried to give her a formula but she spat it at me and gave me a disgusted look :( it was horrible, as she didnt take it I just persivered and eventualy got let downs, it was very hard! :(

But breastfeeding is.

Sinse taking Fenugreek my supply has been just wonderfull and now shes sleeping longer at night, but thats because of her age and shes taking more milk during the day and begining to know when its bed time.

If your going to give your bubba formula for a short while you will have problems when going back to late feeds with breastmilk, if your going to do it, it will be best to do it at a set time and and continue to do that.

The other alternitive is if you think your bubba really needs formula just top up the evening feed with a bottle of forumla after a breastfeed so that your milk is not effected as much.
So then your breastmilk will still be their in the evening for when you want to go back to exclusivly breastfeeding

I wondered what fenugreek was since I noticed a thread about it! It sounds really good.

Well we actually had a good nights sleep last night and I feel a bit more alive today! Finley woke up every 2 1/2 hours for a feed and slept like a log in between which was fantastic! I am starting to think a good bedtime routine is going to benefit him as he sleeps so well when OH brings him to bed and he is in his moses basket.

Maybe I will see what happens over the next few days! It's so hard to make the right decisions sometimes! It's all very confusing.

Brody was always a terrible sleeper, even when he was much older and eventually started formula and baby rice etc.
Formula might help some babies sleep but it didn't work that way for me, so there are no guarentees.

If you do decide to try formula but want to carry on breastfeeding too I would definitley express what you can or your supply will drop, even just one bottle a day can affect your supply, and once started it can be a battle to get it back to normal.

Good luck with whatever you decide....I know it's hard work in these early weeks, you're doing great and soon it will settle down as he gets bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back