• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help?!?! scan confusion!

oox_tasha_xoo

Reaction score
Hiyaaaa!
Here's my problem...
I went to meet my midwife for the first time 2 weeks ago,
she calculated my due date by the first day of my last period
which was 11th july , so that would make me roughly 15 weeks now
But at my dating scan i was told to be only 11 weeks 4 days
Has anyone had a wrong dating scan before?
I only ask because baby kept scrunching up whenever it was measured!
So wondered if there was possible chance of a mistake
Also i've been told babies dont start sucking their thumbs til about 14 weeks
and in dating scan the picture is so clear, you can see lil bubba sucking its thumb hehe
Am i being silly lol!
Thanks XX

The calcualtion done by the midwife/doctor is just the rough guide going from your last period, a dating scan is the reliable result as it measures baby's head etc and this is pretty much what the scan is for, so it wouldnt matter if your baby was wriggling around :) xx

Hi :wave:

from what i could gather from my dating scan she measured the EDD by the measurments from the top of the babys head, so i shouldn't imagine it would matter if the LO was scrunched up or not
(they are not going by the length of it's body) i think! :think:

Im no expert but i think they are about right with these dates, i was convinced they were 3 weeks out with my DD but she came on time and gave us no reason to think she was very late if you no what i mean! :)

thankyouuu for repliesss :)
I kneww i wass just beingg sillyy lol!
Guess il just waitt til 20 week scan to find out for definatee!
Beginingg to feel very sick again right now lol
XX

My first baby was put back by a month after my dating scan, even though I knew my LMP date.

At 35 weeks I developed pre-eclampsia and was induced at 36 weeks. I was already 1cm dilated and they were able to break my waters straight away, which implies my body was getting ready for birth anyway. All the medical staff were on standby for her to have the usual prem baby problems because she was officially a month early but when she was born, she needed no help to breathe and didn't have to go to special care. There was also no vernix covering, which you would have expected at 36 weeks. Even the midwives said she looked more like she was a week or so early than a month. So my LMP date was probably an inaccurate guide but I am sure that so was my dating scan.

I was only 18 when I had my daughter and didn't feel confident disagreeing with the midwives. But if I thought they had got it wrong now then I would def say something. Maybe you should bring it up with the midwife and see what they say?

Dating scans are the most accurate way of pinpointing a due date in early pregnancy but they get less accurate the further along in pregnancy you are because babies grow at different rates. How regular were your periods? Or did you have long cycles? Because obviously that would affect conception and due dates.

Hi, thankss for your reply
my periods were always regular at the beginning of the month
after reading your birthing story i think i will definate ask about it
i think it will be best just to ask, will certainatily make me feel
a whole lot better
thanks
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics