Help me with a memorial for my Mam.. gardening related

Krystal

Reaction score
It's coming up 3 years since my Mam went to sleep.

Last year all the family went to cemetery and let off loads of balloons and whilst it was nice it wasn't my thing. Just because there was so many people there and when it comes to my Mam I guess I close up a bit. Anyway this year I have decided that I would like to involve Jack someway and make it a private thing.

I thought that a good idea since we've just bought our family home would be to start a little garden down the bottom in memory of my Mam, Jack can help me dig and over years we can add things to it and if I may even add a bench so if I want to think about her I can go and sit there. The 'garden' in the cemetery brings me little comfort and tbh I visit there because I don't want my Mam thinking I don't care about her, I would prefer somewhere with less bad memories surrounding it if that makes sense.

So, i'll get onto my question as I waffled there... what kind of things would you suggest as I have no idea about gardening. I want maybe a little tree but not something that will grow big as my garden isn't huge.

Aww they are lovely.. are they bushes though or do you grow single roses :oops: Told you I have no idea about gardening :lol: in fact other week I was considering buying fake hedges and plants and flowers to put out there :rotfl: They are gorgeous though, she loved Lily's and her nickname was also Lily so that would be apt but not sure how to grow them - thanks beanie :hug:

What a lovely idea! The idea of the bench is fab!

SC when I got my first house I didnt know a thing about gardening..not that I have a clue now, but you always need to start somewhere! I have 2 large planters at the end of my garden with lilies in..they need no care other than cutting down at the end of the summer and thats it..and they grow back year after year.. what about a hebe bush.. they are really easy to care for too..they dont grow too big..all you need to do with those is trim them down with a pair of secaters (sp) and they grow lovely tiny little flowers on them too! You could get a miniture apple tree..we have an apple tree in the front garden and it grows loads of crab apples on it and has lovely pink flowers on it at the beginning of the summer..again, needs no maitenance at all! Or Lavender..smells lovely fresh in the garden (not like in a pissy oap home) all you need to do with that is at the end of the summer break off the dead wooden shoots and it will grow back bigger the next year. Bulbs like daffodils and crocuses easy, just plant and watch them grow!

You could even paint some pots with jack and plant some bulbs in them for Jack to take care of!

I started off gardening with a kids gardening book!!! They are fab for beginners

Hope you're ok mate... :hug:

Cheers for those ideas Mrs Titchmarsh :lol: Really though thank you :hug: I like the idea of the Lillies :D I might buy myself a lil book to gain more knowledge on them. Good idea :hug:

I think something that regrows would be a good idea, like a "rebirth so that when the flower/tree grows ou can say to Jack sonething like thats Gran watering her plant again??

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Cheers for those ideas Mrs Titchmarsh :lol: Really though thank you :hug: I like the idea of the Lillies :D I might buy myself a lil book to gain more knowledge on them. Good idea :hug:

I like to think of myself more along the lines of Charli Dimmock!!! :wink:

Seriously tho.. the lilies are soooo easy..I bought some little plants and just put them in the planters..they grew and grew and grew..with gorgeous lilies on them..then I just cut them right down to the soil so it looked like they weret there anymore and the following summer they came back and the summer after that!

Here they are -

IM000222.jpg

I think its a great idea sweetcheeks and youl really enjoy doing it with jack!

I don't know the first thing about gardening but I just wanted to say I think it's a really lovely idea :)

:hug: :hug: +

:hug: :hug: Thank you all for your hugs, comments and ideas! :hug: :hug: I'm going to look more into it today :D

Sweetcheeks24 said:
It's coming up 3 years since my Mam went to sleep.

Last year all the family went to cemetery and let off loads of balloons and whilst it was nice it wasn't my thing. Just because there was so many people there and when it comes to my Mam I guess I close up a bit. Anyway this year I have decided that I would like to involve Jack someway and make it a private thing.

I thought that a good idea since we've just bought our family home would be to start a little garden down the bottom in memory of my Mam, Jack can help me dig and over years we can add things to it and if I may even add a bench so if I want to think about her I can go and sit there. The 'garden' in the cemetery brings me little comfort and tbh I visit there because I don't want my Mam thinking I don't care about her, I would prefer somewhere with less bad memories surrounding it if that makes sense.

So, i'll get onto my question as I waffled there... what kind of things would you suggest as I have no idea about gardening. I want maybe a little tree but not something that will grow big as my garden isn't huge.

I am a crap gardener, so I can't help you there, but I think your idea is fantastic, and if I had a garden I'd nick the ideas from this thread.

By the way, I am positive your mum knows you think about her. I haven't been to my mum's grave in years because I don't 'feel' her there but that doesn't mean I don't think about her every time I hear a phrase she might have used, or I want to tell her something, or I see someone in the street who looks a bit like her. Your mum knows how much you love her and whatever you do for her it will be a fitting tribute and - as you say - somewhere for you and Jack to think about her.

Hugs :hug:

:hug: Thank you Debecca, thats lovely thing for you to say and brought tears to me eyes - I'm sure your right :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back