• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help! Constipated baby-Formula advice needed!

Jaidy

Reaction score
Zac has constipation. He pooed a big hard lump of poo that was very pale and had trouble passing it.

I phoned the HV and she said to give him cooled boiled water to help soften the stools.

I have heard that SMA Gold can make babies constipated. Do you think this could be the problem?

I think I am going to try and change his formula, what do you recommend I switch to, to prevent constipation?

I dont know if hes too young for this but when the little ones were constipated my mum gave them sugary water.

She would put 3 tea spoons of brown sugar in 4oz of boiled water andlet it cool. which shifted it, but made sure to give cooled boiled water straight after to get rid of the sugary taste in their mouth otherwise they will be expecting it and wanting it all the time because it tastes sweet.

Like I said he maybe to young. im not sure.

ive just changed from smagold because my LO was constipated. i changed to cowand gate comfort due to colic and its made a HUGE difference!

We changed to comfort when Stanley was about 4/5 weeks because of the same problem with SMA gold. :)

i found hope got very constipated on sma, she is on cow and gate now:)

Jamie had this too when i gave him the odd bottle of formula? :think:

I changed from Sma to aptamil, my midwife told me this is the formula the babies in the special care units get as it is easier on the stomach due to the preobotics(sp?) that are in it. Charlie has thrived since going onto it and no more constipation. I gave him cooled boiled water with half a spoonful of soft brown sugar in it when he was constipated, worked a treat.

Minxy said:
We changed to comfort when Stanley was about 4/5 weeks because of the same problem with SMA gold. :)

You changed to the comfort because of SMA making him constipated?

Is he still on it now and has it helped?

The difference was instant. I don't know what it is about Comfort, it seemed to help his reflux too (it is thicker).

On the downside, he's never done a solid poo and it smells like rotten eggs :puke:

Harrison was very constipated on SMA so we switched to Cow & Gate and it's made a huge difference, no more solid poops

We had the same problem sma made Alfie really badly constipated poor little man, we went onto aptimil and its fantastic, he is on solids now and he still has frequent poos because of the milk, I would never use sma again on any future children closer to breastmilk my backside :think:

Princess_Puddles said:
Harrison was very constipated on SMA so we switched to Cow & Gate and it's made a huge difference, no more solid poops

Is Harrison on Comfort too Mica?

Hmm i answered to this post yesterday but my reply has gone :think:

Anyways, Harrison is on the green box of Cow & Gate, wish i had of put him on comfort now as he has reflux and its alot gentler on their system

mmm... i changed from aptimil to sma becuase she was constipated on aptmil, and is now fine on sma? :think:

Well Zac has now been on Cow and Gate Comfort for 3 days and no more constipation! Did the biggest, eggiest poo yesterday twice :oops:

Bit too soon to tell if its making any difference in other areas I think but il keep you guys posted :D

Jaidy said:
Did the biggest, eggiest poo yesterday twice :oops:

It does stink, doesn't it? :rotfl:

You'll get used to it though, glad he seems better xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member