HELP! Bottle and breast baby fretting wildly.

lorskimac

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My 3 month old is breast and bottle fed and usually fed well and regularly before last week. Now she screams wildly when I put a breast or bottle in her mouth and is not eating as much through the day. She is also now waking in the night when she always slept right through before.

What can I do? We've changed her teat size, offered alternate breasts, waited until she should be really hungry, but nothing has worked. It's like she doesn't want to eat. Sometimes she frets for 10 mins and then takes a feed but sometimes she won't take anything.

Anyone got any advice. I have a 3 year old girl who never did this.

Thanks

I can't offer any advice from experience because my LO is only 2 weeks old... but just wondered if you have the number of a breastfeeding counsellor? They might be able to help you. If you don't have one from your HV you should be able to find the number on the NCT site.

:hug: Hang in there.

sorry not anything i have expereinced but wanted to send a :hug: .maybe have a word with HV

is she really windy or sicky after a feed.... it's maybe giving her discomfort to eat because of trapped wind.

I'd ask you HV

:hug:

Teething symptoms can cause feeding problems because it may hurt when baby sucks. Obviously she's waking in the night because she's not eating at much during the day.

Does she have any other teething symptoms like lots of dribbling or chewing on stuff alot?

Thanks everyone. She does dribble and chew a lot for a 3 month old but has been doing so since about 4 weeks and I can't see any teeth about to come through. BF support girl just blames combination feeding.

Hopefully it's just a phase of fussiness and she'll grow out of it. She's a really good baby but you just get really upset if you think they're not eating, don't you?

Symptoms of teething can appear weeks or even months before the actual teeth.

You might find her fussiness just stops in a couple of days if it is teething related as the pain comes and goes apparently.

teething, wind, not hungry , sore throat, does she need solids?

loads of possiblities.

lorskimac said:
...but you just get really upset if you think they're not eating, don't you?

Yes I can agree with that, I breast and formula feed and always worry if he's getting enough from the breastfeeding. Isaac has fussy moments, but generally because he wants breast for comfort, what is reasurring though is babies will eat what they need to, so them not eating isn't always a bad thing, just they aren't hungry, I don't think this warm weather helps at the minute either, Isaac's been all over the place the past couple days.

Very best wishes, I do hope the support from your BF counsellor and HV put your mind at ease too :hug:

Hi,

i'm another mum with a fussing baby, i'm breastfeeding only and sometimes she continuously 'on off cry on off cry' when feeding, read on a site somewhere that there are babies that will do this and there's no reason behind it, mines been like this a few weeks now and is still putting weight on.

If you've been through the is it wind,to hot,tired etc list then just breath a calming sigh and carry on the good work :D

and my Holly is 11 weeks old.

Maybe try some Infacol before feeds to see if it is wind/colic related? I have days like this with Marcus sometimes and I am combination feeding as he is a greedy little bugger and formula or breast alone just wasn't satisfying him. He is 5 weeks old and sometimes will drain a whole 7 oz bottle when I have to give him a ready made carton :shock:

Then he wants mummy milk too! :shock:

I started giving him Infacol and he was a lot more settled but he still has problems getting wind up the top end, but no problem at all getting it out the bottom end! :rotfl:

thanks again guys for help and support. it's def not wind and prob not teeth. she's not hungry enough to want solids (and i want to wait anyway). I think she must just be th on off cry-type baby. she bites and chews my nipples like you wouldn't believe :shock:

will persevere but if she keeps on biting and stuff i'll have to give up the breast for my own sanity.

Poor you, you sound like you need a biiiiiiiiiiiiig hug so here you are :hug: . Have you spoken to little one's doctor? It may be that she has a sore throat or a condition babies get in the mouth which makes the tongue white - i dont know what it is called in english, but my son had it and it did make him uncomfortable when hungry...

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back